Re: Sites like Royal Road

Edge Wrote: There is also the whole ebook thing, all three will require you putting in extra work in getting the word out.

That's definitely going to be my second option then if Traditional Publishing doesn't pan out. I more than likely would go with Amazon since they have a better outlet for getting ebooks out there in the world. Marketing isn't my strong suit so I'm REALLY hoping Trad Publishing works. Though I know I'll have to do some work with marketing myself as an author, it wouldn't be the extent that you need to self-publish.

Yeah, it would be. As well as being automatically subscribed to threads once you've posted on them. There were times I forgot to subscribe bc I (again) was used the easy.

hcwilhelm Wrote: That's definitely going to be my second option then if Traditional Publishing doesn't pan out. I more than likely would go with Amazon since they have a better outlet for getting ebooks out there in the world. Marketing isn't my strong suit so I'm REALLY hoping Trad Publishing works. Though I know I'll have to do some work with marketing myself as an author, it wouldn't be the extent that you need to self-publish.

Yeah, it would be. As well as being automatically subscribed to threads once you've posted on them. There were times I forgot to subscribe bc I (again) was used the easy.

Yeah, if it works out, you wouldn’t need to kill yourself over every little detail. I hope it works out for ya, it also depends where you try to get an agent. 

I can see why they didn’t make an automatic subscription, though I feel the system needs a bit more work. It is definitely easy to use, just some of the features are a bit more complex than it needs to be.

Edge Wrote: Yeah, if it works out, you wouldn’t need to kill yourself over every little detail. I hope it works out for ya, it also depends where you try to get an agent. 

I can see why they didn’t make an automatic subscription, though I feel the system needs a bit more work. It is definitely easy to use, just some of the features are a bit more complex than it needs to be.

Thanks! I hope so too! :D

So true. Maybe if we're here long enough we'll get to see some new updates.

hcwilhelm Wrote: Thanks! I hope so too! :D

So true. Maybe if we're here long enough we'll get to see some new updates.

I’ve been here for about a year, on and off. The site improved a bit, but I haven’t noticed any significant updates to the forums. For one, the text space is too small. Another thing that would be good, is to have the messages reply to the last thing said by a person. This would be based on where the message has taken place, one can always quote if it is a specific thing. The site has a lot of promise, just some more work is needed.

Edge Wrote: I’ve been here for about a year, on and off. The site improved a bit, but I haven’t noticed any significant updates to the forums. For one, the text space is too small. Another thing that would be good, is to have the messages reply to the last thing said by a person. This would be based on where the message has taken place, one can always quote if it is a specific thing. The site has a lot of promise, just some more work is needed.

I guess a site has to start somewhere  peoconfused

hcwilhelm Wrote: I guess a site has to start somewhere

Yeah, which is why I am not being too hard on it. It does well enough with the story section itself, even after a work finishes, it should still be getting consistent reads. I suppose that would also depend how and when someone does an update. Oh yeah, it needs to update the surprise option, I keep getting recommended books on Hiatus. 

Oh yeah, it only took 20k views for me to get one comment. 😂

Angry_Raccoon Wrote: AO3 is more similar to Wattpad than dissimilar; I think it's a little more adult and has more 'mature' fanfic than Wattpad, a lot of romance, I want to say? A few of my friends go there as their primary webnovel stuff. I'm not too familiar with it, though!

I'm primarily on AO3. It's absolutely fantastic for fanfiction -- that's what it's for. Terrible for original fiction. It's explicitly a fanfic archive and that's what people go there to read; technically, non-fandom works are against the Terms of Service, and while the staff let them slide anyway, they don't do well there. Most readers will go elsewhere for original fic. The only people who will read my original fic on AO3 are diehard fans of my fanfic, and they will do so in small numbers and very reluctantly.