Re: How Do My Metrics Compare?

JK-sama Wrote:
TheRottingBard Wrote: I did the writeathon, but I only hit 65k words. Not as impressive as others. So great job pumping out all those words!

65k is what I produce in 4-months' time. DrakanLaugh That's already impressive than most.

I admit, my consistency isn't the best through the year, and your story has like a thousand pages. You write a shit ton.  Be impressed with yourself. 

• Total Views : 546
  • Average Views : 109
  • Pages  : 29 (8150 Words in 5 Chapters)
  • Followers : 17
  • Favorites : 6
  • Ratings : 4 (all 5 but no reviews) 
  • Rank#8047
  • 65k words are insane for me to even think about at this point.I released my first 3 chapters 4 days ago but it took me somewhere between 1-2 weeks and that's really short chapters compared to basically anyone here.

AlexaLee Wrote:
Tatletot Wrote: Have you tried other sites? I'm having similar issues on scribble hub because l am LitRPG.

I'm on Wattpad and Inkitt and I've got some views through them but not that much because I'm not writing bad boy stories  DrakanLaugh

What's Scribble hub like?

TBH I'm not very active on there, but the way it is set up is more conducive to new releases since that is the main list featured on the homepage. There's a fair bit of isekai and the like, but also romance from what I can tell.

--also, maybe a bit more of a side topic, but to authors that have been here longer, around what chapter did new followers become rare? I just released chapter 17 and my wordcount per chapter is low, so I don't think I'm there yet, but there's bound to be a point when there's already so much written most followers come from special searches rather than the new updates list.

Tatletot Wrote: --also, maybe a bit more of a side topic, but to authors that have been here longer, around what chapter did new followers become rare?

I wanna say I've always been on the slow side when it comes to getting followers. I usually only gain about 1 every couple of days, and if I'm lucky I might get two or three days in a row where I gain a follower. I think the longest I went without gaining any was in Mid Feb after releasing ch69(out of 83 so far), I was stuck at 124 and it jumped to 127 on March 3rd after 2 releases.

Other than that, around ch77 I noticed this gain 1, lose 1, gain 1 pattern that happens sometimes.

I joined a little over 3 months ago, so might as well share my stats as well:

Highest Ranking#1650

Total Words127,429
  • Total Views :
  • Average Views :
  • Pages  :
  • Total Comments :
  • Followers :
  • Favorites :
  • Ratings :
  • Reviews :
I'm very happy for how well it was received, but as it's my only book so far I have no other personal point of reference to provide on the crappy/awesome scale.

Darrin Wrote: I've been here now for close to a month. I have: 

* 53,000 words up (I did post 6 episodes all at once when I first go there rather than dragging them out like you're supposed to)
* 11 followers
* 2 Loves
* Average of 40 views per posted piece

Can anyone tell me how this compares on the crappy to awesome scale?

DrakanWine  better than mine, so...good? That or I'm terrible.

I try not to look at my metrics.  I'm not doing this professionally, and I don't even have a patreon, so really it's a hobby/passion/obsession for me.

The only metrics I really care about are the lengths of my chapters (try to keep them over 2.5k but under 4k), and my total pages (to make sure I'm keeping the plot moving and not ending up with a thousand-page book).

All that said, from what I understand, follows/favorites/ratings are largely dependant on the genre you write.  This site is wildly skewed towards litrpg/fantasy, and if you write in that genre, tagging your story accordingly, you can expect to see some interest.  I certainly follow some stories that I have seriously considered copying/pasting into Grammarly and hitting accept all changes before reading a new chapter, so even if your writing isn't fantastic, you can still succeed, at least in terms of metrics.

In the end, unless you're expecting to be paid, write the story that you've imagined, and don't sweat the metrics.  You're here to create, and everyone has different tastes.

LostBard Wrote: I'm about 15k words in:
  • Total Views : 333
  • Average Views : 33
  • Pages  : 53
  • Total Comments : 0
  • Followers : 7
  • Favorites : 2
  • Ratings : 0
  • Reviews : 0
Let's not mention my #33000+ ranking DrakanSweat

Still trying to figure out how to get views. Maybe it's just hard when you aren't writing litrpg ?

Do you have numbers how many readers never read the second chapter? You might want to get some native speaker or English tutor to help you improve the writing. Not being a native speaker I can't say what is wrong, but it feels extremely off. And readers distracted by that have a much harder time enjoying the story.

whoever Wrote:
LostBard Wrote: I'm about 15k words in:
  • Total Views : 333
  • Average Views : 33
  • Pages  : 53
  • Total Comments : 0
  • Followers : 7
  • Favorites : 2
  • Ratings : 0
  • Reviews : 0
Let's not mention my #33000+ ranking DrakanSweat

Still trying to figure out how to get views. Maybe it's just hard when you aren't writing litrpg ?

Do you have numbers how many readers never read the second chapter? You might want to get some native speaker or English tutor to help you improve the writing. Not being a native speaker I can't say what is wrong, but it feels extremely off. And readers distracted by that have a much harder time enjoying the story.

I have few readers on either chapter, but currently chapter 1 is 69 views and chapter 2 is 52, which I think is decent? And I think the difference only started growing larger the past few days. Earlier this week it was 50 vs 41.

I did have a native speaker read it and he thought it was fine. I'm trying to go with a more traditional high fantasy style, so I guess it's possible that it feels off to those more used to a "lighter" narrative?

LostBard Wrote:
whoever Wrote:
LostBard Wrote: [...]

I have few readers on either chapter, but currently chapter 1 is 69 views and chapter 2 is 52, which I think is decent? And I think the difference only started growing larger the past few days. Earlier this week it was 50 vs 41.

I did have a native speaker read it and he thought it was fine. I'm trying to go with a more traditional high fantasy style, so I guess it's possible that it feels off to those more used to a "lighter" narrative?

I doubt it is about lighter or traditional. Like you never mentioned not being a native speaker but after reading it I was quite sure you are not. It's all fine in that I can understand it and reading it a second time is a lot faster, but reading it the first time every second sentence felt like it was using the wrong expressions (though I've no idea what the correct ones would have been).

This is going off topic, but I'll just chime in.
LostBard Wrote:
whoever Wrote: You might want to get some native speaker or English tutor to help you improve the writing. Not being a native speaker I can't say what is wrong, but it feels extremely off. And readers distracted by that have a much harder time enjoying the story.

I doubt it is about lighter or traditional. Like you never mentioned not being a native speaker but after reading it I was quite sure you are not. It's all fine in that I can understand it and reading it a second time is a lot faster, but reading it the first time every second sentence felt like it was using the wrong expressions (though I've no idea what the correct ones would have been). [/quote]
I read the first scene. LostBard, I get the same feeling from your prose. It uses quirks that native speakers don't tend to employ. That said, the quality is higher than average for web novels I've seen. Don't be discouraged.

There are only two ways I can see for you to improve in a worthwhile manner. One is to have a very experienced editor go over it to show you how to adjust the phrases; that gets expensive, however. The other is to read a lot of polished fiction from native speakers (or the occasional non-native that you couldn't tell wasn't native, such as Sarah Hoyt).

I don't want to encourage the tangent, but I did want to step in for a moment.

NovelNinja Wrote: I read the first scene. LostBard, I get the same feeling from your prose. It uses quirks that native speakers don't tend to employ. That said, the quality is higher than average for web novels I've seen. Don't be discouraged.

There are only two ways I can see for you to improve in a worthwhile manner. One is to have a very experienced editor go over it to show you how to adjust the phrases; that gets expensive, however. The other is to read a lot of polished fiction from native speakers (or the occasional non-native that you couldn't tell wasn't native, such as Sarah Hoyt).

I don't want to encourage the tangent, but I did want to step in for a moment.

Thanks a lot for your feedback! I really appreciate it.

Your suggestion makes me wonder if I'm picking up a bad style of prose from the wrong books. To be honest, the only books I read are either traditionally published books in English or webnovels in Chinese. I wasn't on royalroad before and haven't read anything written in English by non-native speakers, BUT I do read too much YA fantasy and I heard a lot of them are heavy on purple or cringy prose these days. Maybe I'm learning from the wrong examples?

I have to admit that as a non-native speaker, I have no way to tell if a piece of writing is natural or not. That goes both for what I read and what I write... The issue you guys mentioned is something that I'm totally unaware of and I'm glad someone pointed it out.

(Sorry for the tangent but I thought it'd be rude not to reply. I'll stop after this one.)

Time Joined: 30/06/2020 (1 Year)

Total Wordcount: 1,609,778
Total Chapters: 545
Total Views: 2,297,498
Average Views: 4,216
Pages: 5,853
Total Comments: 6,095
Total Votes: 22

Followers: 1,851
Favorites: 680
Ratings: 511
Reviews: 54
Ranking: 76

Fictions: 1
Average Rating: 4.66

According to my analytics, 656 users have read 544 chapters after chapter 1 to reach chapter 509.

There's a few unpopular chapters, but that's to be expected.

I'm not sure how that relates to everyone else with the sheer size and scope of my work.

For me, I don't worry about the metrics and analytics, I pay attention to the comments. Quite a few times some really good points are brought up, even if I don't agree with them. Reader input and critique are something I welcome and encourage, and it's obvious to my readers, so that might help.

But, I don't feel ANYONE should compare their metrics to mine since this whole thing is completely surreal.

After all, it started with night shift boredom at the beginning of The Vid, after being hit by lightning and nearly getting into a car wreck, and the reposting of an old story about a bug and an ice cream cone, that morphed into the beautiful insanity that burns in my mind like white fire.

Here’s how Magic, Re- Incarnate’s stacking up so far:
(I just copied the format from Ralts since that’s so nice and organized; hope you don’t mind)

Time Posted: 13/05/2021 (~3 weeks old)

Total Wordcount: 30k? Ish? I can’t find the total count ;-;
Total Chapters: 21 (19 actual book-chapters, two interludes)
Total Views: 2,487
Average Views: 124
Pages: 122
Total Comments: 153 (I respond to almost all comments haha)

Followers: 36
Favorites: 9
Votes: 3
Ratings: 2
Reviews: 4
Rank: 4902 (It got down to 4000, but I got a random 3-star rating and I think it bumped it back? I could be wrong
Average Rating: 4.5
(I have three active, consistent readers—not sure if that’s standard for a book of this size!)

[ON SCRIBBLEHUB]
I posted only to chapter 4 (three days ago), but have:
Followers: 20
Favorites: 8
Votes: 5
Ratings: 1 (5 stars)

As a note—Magic, Re- Incarnate seems to be a relatively good fit for this site, being fantasy with some litrpg stuff, but I think my lyrical writing style and actual content is less universally appealing, haha (it's like a fusion of what works for Wattpad and here lol). Still, I’m happy with where it’s at so far, especially with the reviews and feedback :D