Re: How Do My Metrics Compare?

I have had a pretty good run of things. I have been here, writing, for two months as of today. 

My top fiction is rank #3076, I have two fictions, I wrote 133k words, received 10 reviews, and have 290 followers.

Modded Reality I posted 60 days ago. It is rank 4310, 219 followers, 47 favorites, an average rating of 3.68. 
It's basically Minecraft fiction so I get why some people aren't into it and give me a bad rating.
20k views, 670 average, 266 pages, 368 comments, 

Vile I posted 21 days ago. It is rank 3076, 83 followers, 12 favorites, an average rating of 4.77.
It's a teenage portal fantasy with gamelit features sprinkled in. It's hit or miss and written pretty controversially. 
2.5k views, 198 average, 217 pages, 88 total comments. 

Now, this might help you with your comparisons. I believe I am in the upper-middle class of Royal Road by these standards. My work isn't the highest quality but it saw some success. 

I think it's also important to engage with the community. 
I follow 29 fictions, I favorited 24, I rated 7, I reviewed 5, and I left 214 comments. 

TheRottingBard Wrote: I think it's also important to engage with the community.

This is fairly important.

Beyond the forums, I don't really engage with the community because I don't have the time. Work is my full time, writing is secondary, and between my IRL social arrangements, it doesn't leave much time to engage and my metrics show.

Quote:5,235 total views
131 average views/chapter
63 Followers
8 Favorites
9 Ratings (2 reviews, averaging a 4.5 stars)
450 Pages (123k words)
Peak ranking was like 4,996 or something.

I could pump those numbers up if I advertised more. And if I posted story updates more frequently than once a week. The "gains" I make in ranking are wiped out by the following week because that's about how long it takes my story to rise 300ish spots.

Wow! I admire your bravery in putting your metrics up so much. Well, if you talk the talk you got to walk the walk...
I started posting April 30th with a MWF 8am schedule.
The only thing not publicly available is my rank (#1366 currently).
I’ve found that putting chapter titles (as well as chapter #) is really helpful in drawing in views. My first 2 chapters were the standard ‘Chapter 1’ type, but the second I put in chapter names, more views came in. Additionally, I had a spike in followers around chapter 10, and I think that just happens because people don’t want to read books when there’s only 2-3 chapters written since so many get dropped at this early stage.
If you’re trying to figure out how you compare to others (a dangerous but alluring path), you can check the just updated list for similar books to yours (fanfics, similar # of published chapters, just chapter #s for chapter names, and an initial chapter dump) and view their statistics by clicking on that tab. Another way is by finding your book on the best ranked list (your rank divided by 20 and rounded up) and see what other books are around you. This might be difficult because there are a lot of dropped books still on there with skewed stats  purely as a result of them being up for so long. Combined, this should give you a good overview of where you stand.

I've been here just over 2 months so I'll add my metrics to the list. I have two books but I'll add them together for this because one is only new. Neither are LitRPG or GameLit so I expected them to grow a lil slow:
212,101 words
87 Followers
17 Favourites
Average rating for TAT 5* (7 ratings and reviews), for FI 4.36* (18 ratings and reviews)
Highest rating 2562

Tatletot Wrote: Wow! I admire your bravery in putting your metrics up so much. Well, if you talk the talk you got to walk the walk...

Yeah, I'm not too concerned with people knowing my metrics. If I need to bring them up, it's just a question of how to engage more, and I think you did a great job answering that question. I have to admit that I really don't have the time to read and review, and that's mainly because my business failed because of Covid and I'm currently jobless, so I spend most of my time writing. I'm either writing RPG stuff or fiction, or editing, or Photoshopping covers and maps, or looking for stock art... I put in burnout hours, because when I find a new job, I won't have the kind of time I do now to devote to writing. Anyway, I'm just trying to get an idea if I'm doing average or not. If not, I may need to make the time and increase my activities here.

AlexaLee Wrote: I've been here just over 2 months

Okay, so comparable to me.

AlexaLee Wrote: 212,101 words

Incredibly impressive word count.

AlexaLee Wrote: Average rating for TAT 5* (7 ratings and reviews), for FI 4.36* (18 ratings and reviews)
Highest rating 2562

Between your two books you have a better average rating than me and your highest-ranking book is well above mine. 

I guess its time for me to check out your stories. 

TheRottingBard Wrote: Incredibly impressive word count.

Thank you! The writeathon did it. I hit 100,000 in five weeks because I'm a very competitive person ahaha

I hope y'all enjoy them! They're completely unrelated so you can start from either really! Just depends if you're more in the mood for space operas and Sci-fi or fantasy and magic?

Darrin Wrote: I'm currently jobless, so I spend most of my time writing

Ouch dude. I'll check out your stories and see if I can't leave some reviews. 

I've been off work for almost a month for medical reasons. Hoping that I can recover from the last surgery and get back into work. Patreon and Paypal donations have helped slightly. Did you set those up already for yourself?

TheRottingBard Wrote:
Darrin Wrote: I'm currently jobless, so I spend most of my time writing

Ouch dude. I'll check out your stories and see if I can't leave some reviews. 

I've been off work for almost a month for medical reasons. Hoping that I can recover from the last surgery and get back into work. Patreon and Paypal donations have helped slightly. Did you set those up already for yourself?

I did put those up. I set up a Patreon, but I'm not ready to do a GoFundMe. I guess I'd rather sing for my dinner, so to speak.

If you like traditional fantasy (so traditional in fact, I include the OGL at the end) with a barbarian bent, you can find my Patreon in my sig, or by doing a search there for "Rathorn."