Re: Writing again

So I, throughout my college career, begun writing as a hobby. I failed in my first novel but gained experience through it, and ended up writing an 18 volume series that came to an end after 1.5 years of daily chapters. And to be honest, the quality of the novel I wrote drastically changed as I wrote it, given the vast amount of experience that I accrued over the course of writing it. While the quality started out as mediocre with some low and some high spots, I think that I was able to learn a ton so that by the end of the series the writing was quite good, and many of my readers who have made it that far have reaffirmed my opinion on this. 

So after finishing this novel I took a break from writing - one that may or may not have been permanent, given that I honestly had no idea how overwhelming the work world would be once I entered it out of college. 

I've been working a job as an engineer for a month now, and after doing so I can say with confidence that I can handle doing writing as a hobby in my free time (Namely, that I have enough free time to do so, and more importantly, that writing is actually important enough to me to do so). 

So I begun recently writing a new series! And man oh man, am I excited. 

Even just writing the first couple of chapters, I can already tell the massive difference between how this story is progressing and how my other one did. I've gained so much more experience with character interactions, with plot and worldbuilding, and I'm so excited to be writing again. It was to the point where I was writing my own story, and I was on the edge of my seat thinking 'Oh shit!! What's going to happen next!? I need to know!'

I'm having a lot of fun, so I'm definitely ready to get back into the writing world. Will I be releasing daily chapters again like before? Prooobably not. Idk. We'll see. But either way, imma write and write as much as I have fun in doing so!

While not a perfect analogy I have an artist friend that told me once "everyone has 10,000 bad drawings in them and the only way to get past it is to put it on paper." I imagine everything is kind of like that and just by pure quantity you can work through a lot of the hardships of when you first start out and working on it again, even after a long break, is a good way to get back to it.

sunflower Wrote: While not a perfect analogy I have an artist friend that told me once "everyone has 10,000 bad drawings in them and the only way to get past it is to put it on paper." I imagine everything is kind of like that and just by pure quantity you can work through a lot of the hardships of when you first start out and working on it again, even after a long break, is a good way to get back to it.

10,000. Good god, I hope that doesn't translate to chapters.

DrakanSweat

If you're a writer, you've written bad fiction. You may not have known it was bad when you wrote it, but it is what it is, and it's OK. You have to go through that phase to learn and improve. Even once you've made it to a point where your fiction is well written, there will always be those who just don't like your style, your subject matter, or whatever. Just don't stop writing and you'll get to where you want to be.

sunflower Wrote: While not a perfect analogy I have an artist friend that told me once "everyone has 10,000 bad drawings in them and the only way to get past it is to put it on paper." I imagine everything is kind of like that and just by pure quantity you can work through a lot of the hardships of when you first start out and working on it again, even after a long break, is a good way to get back to it.

Usually the saying among writers is 'a million practice words' and you're right it's absolutely the same concept. :)

Crusixblade Wrote:

10,000. Good god, I hope that doesn't translate to chapters.

DrakanSweat

"A picture is worth a thousand words" it's okay the ratio isn't as bad as you think!  DrakanLaugh

Dubs Wrote: So I, throughout my college career, begun writing as a hobby. I failed in my first novel but gained experience through it, and ended up writing an 18 volume series that came to an end after 1.5 years of daily chapters. And to be honest, the quality of the novel I wrote drastically changed as I wrote it, given the vast amount of experience that I accrued over the course of writing it. While the quality started out as mediocre with some low and some high spots, I think that I was able to learn a ton so that by the end of the series the writing was quite good, and many of my readers who have made it that far have reaffirmed my opinion on this. 

So after finishing this novel I took a break from writing - one that may or may not have been permanent, given that I honestly had no idea how overwhelming the work world would be once I entered it out of college. 

I've been working a job as an engineer for a month now, and after doing so I can say with confidence that I can handle doing writing as a hobby in my free time (Namely, that I have enough free time to do so, and more importantly, that writing is actually important enough to me to do so). 

So I begun recently writing a new series! And man oh man, am I excited. 

Even just writing the first couple of chapters, I can already tell the massive difference between how this story is progressing and how my other one did. I've gained so much more experience with character interactions, with plot and worldbuilding, and I'm so excited to be writing again. It was to the point where I was writing my own story, and I was on the edge of my seat thinking 'Oh shit!! What's going to happen next!? I need to know!'

I'm having a lot of fun, so I'm definitely ready to get back into the writing world. Will I be releasing daily chapters again like before? Prooobably not. Idk. We'll see. But either way, imma write and write as much as I have fun in doing so!

That’s good, you improve over time. Every bit of time taken, it helps to further improve. I cannot tell ya how pitiful my works were when I started out. Also, how far it has come. Right now, I am in the middle of another rewriting process. Thinking back to my starting point, I’ve come a very long way. 

Keep at it, and have fun doing so. ^^

I think writers have a "trunk book" concept.  Basically it's that the first book you write, you were super passionate about it was brimming with ideas ... but it's almost certainly awful and as soon as it's finished it gets shoved into a trunk in the attic and never sees the light of day again. 

radraccoon Wrote:

I think writers have a "trunk book" concept.  Basically it's that the first book you write, you were super passionate about it was brimming with ideas ... but it's almost certainly awful and as soon as it's finished it gets shoved into a trunk in the attic and never sees the light of day again.

The raccoon speaks the truth. However, not the entire truth. 🐕

Bad raccoon. 🤨

Joking aside, that is pretty much it. The differences is, rather than giving up on the first book I put online. I rewrote it many times, and turned it from something that is crappy, into something much better. Though, I don’t think many would be willing to undergo like 10+ rewrites like I did. 😐