Re: Older Brother/Younger Sister relationship

I wil tell you about my kids, as they seem story worthy to me. Maybe you'd like to personify them by adding their defining characteristics to your characters!

My son is four years older than my daughter. Ever since the day he was born, he has always acted mature. I sometimes still surprise myself by thinking about things we have done and the places we've been, and then realize that at the time he had only been two or three. His heart is filled with love for the world, but he's quiet and very reflective. He also is one of the smartest people I've ever met. 

When he wants to learn how to do something, like ride a solve a puzzle or play a sport, it takes him literally seconds to figure out how to do it. I really mean, it is amazing. I took him ice skating for the first time when he was five, and in about thirty seconds he was telling me to let go of him and leave him alone, as he had figured out how to do it. And off he went, like he'd been skating his entire life! A year later I took him skating for the second time, and he spent the day teaching himself how to skate backwards -- something I've never been able to do.

The same thing happened when he decided he wanted to learn how to ride a bike -- it took him about a minute, and he never fell even once. He also loves math and history, watching Youtube videos about things like the Napoleonic Wars and the Poincare Conjecture.

It sometimes is kinda weird. 

As far as his little sister goes, she is the nicest person I've ever met. She literally has dozens of friends, and always has had a boy pining for her, ever since starting grade school. Oftentimes three kids or more are calling her their best friend, and she has room in her heart for them all. She finds time to talk and play with every one, and she cries for them when they are sad and cheers for them when they succeed. 

Now -- as far as when they're together? They love each other and like to play and rough house and run around, but sometimes my son is a little overbearing. He starts conversations with her about things like history or math, and she could hardly care less. At times, she gets irritated with him when he goes on about these sorts of things, even though he's being patient and kind. 

He loves looking out for her and helping her, even though she may be treating him poorly. I don't really know why that is, especially since she's so friendly towards other kids. I think it's because he's so smart, and she is just kind of normal. It makes her feel inferior.

Even though, and as I've said, my son has a heart that's as big as the world. He tells his grandma 'I love you to the moon and back' and he has a plaque that says 'Love You More.' And both are true.

I often tell his little sister that she is the kindest person in the whole family, and that she should always be as nice to people as she is right now. She will respond by saying she never wants to grow up, because being a little kid makes it super easy to be super nice. 
And I am the luckiest parent in the world.  ❤😻❤

I'll tell you about my relationship with my brother, if that helps.

My brother is four years older than me, so the age gap would be 10-14 for me.

I don't think my relationship with him was normal, or at least the stuff portrayed in fiction. The age difference meant that we were never in the same school (me in elementary/middle and him in high school), could never help each other with academics, nor be with each other in extracirricular activities. He was too busy studying or talking with friends his age, while I spent all my time on Facebook and Roblox. We never bonded under a common hobby.

My time spent with my brother was either silence as neither of us knew what to talk about, or times where I wish he would stop talking to me. He cared about me, but they way he showed that made me feel bad. For example, since I liked watching anime and chatting with friends online, and he convinced my parents to cut off my internet access because he believed I was spending too much time on the computer. He would come across me on the laptop to demand to see my tabs and internet history just to see if I bypassed the internet filter. 

Eventually, he grew out of it (he can't really monitor me if he's five hours away) but even now whenever he talks he interrogates me about my career plans and classes.

Now, since he's been out of the house for the past 6-7 years and much of my HS/college life, it feels like I never had a sibling. He only comes back for major holidays like Thanksgiving or Christmas, and only for a week at a time. We were like roommates who only shared the same parents.

I have to stress that me and my brother's relationship probably wasn't the norm, judging from ArDeeBurger's recollection of their kids, but here's my experience with a brother who loved me in his own way (and me to him) despite us basically being strangers. Hope this provided some insight.

I'm the oldest of six, and I have a different relationship with each of them. My oldest brother is two years younger, and we've been very close our whole lives. I don't have a relationship like that with any of my other siblings, and each of them have complex and different relationships between each other as well.

In general a fifteen-year-old is probably going to consider a ten-year-old an annoying little kid who can't understand anything the older kid is going through at that point in their life, especially since they're not the same gender, but their personal shared history makes all the difference.

I Wrote: Relationships between siblings can be complicated and varied, much like any other relationships. You don't need to stick to any formula for that. Just go with what feels right...

Yeah, pretty much.

I am the second eldest of ten. I have three younger sisters and have a completely different relationship with each of them. I love them all, of course, but if I had to boil our relationships down it would e as follows.

Eldest. Mutual respect, wary of each other's personal lives.

Middle. Friends, we talk about our interests and hobbies  just about every time we are alone together.

Youngest. Family Friend. Far more distant than with the middle sister, we still chat or joke around sometimes, but more or less leave one another alone.

I would say that mutual interests and the age difference are the biggest differentiators  in my relationship with each sister. That and their own personality. If we want to be a little reductive. One of the primary reasons the eldest an I don't get along better is because she is much more extroverted, while I am quite heavily introverted IRL. Similarly, the middle sister is much closer to my level of introverted, while the youngest sister is markedly less so, but still by no means an extrovert.

So I guess my advice would be to consider their age difference, mutual interests and preference for social interactions alongside any story driven content or backstory, like a messy divorce/separation that split them up, or forced them to choose, etc.

Edge Wrote:
Ploopie Wrote: Hey everyone. In the story I'm currently writing a book, where there is an older brother and younger sister. The brother is fifteen years old. The sister is ten. Any tips for writing about their relationship?

I don’t like where this is going...🤨

Shame on you, get your mind out of the gutter.

I have an older sister and a younger sister. I played mostly with my younger sister. When you're young, 2 1/2 years is a big difference in development and interests. A 15 year old boy probably isn't too interested in the games a 10 year old girl plays, and vice versa.

Some of the rest depends a lot on the family situation and you've not told us anything about that. If they're from a stable or disfunctional family, orphans, single parent or something else. It's very vague if you only have 'boy of 15, girl of 10' to go on

Oskatat Wrote: Shame on you, get your mind out of the gutter.

I have an older sister and a younger sister. I played mostly with my younger sister. When you're young, 2 1/2 years is a big difference in development and interests. A 15 year old boy probably isn't too interested in the games a 10 year old girl plays, and vice versa.

Some of the rest depends a lot on the family situation and you've not told us anything about that. If they're from a stable or disfunctional family, orphans, single parent or something else. It's very vague if you only have 'boy of 15, girl of 10' to go on

I have seen things...🤨

So it comes with skepticism...

Anyway, jokes aside. I might be able to answer if it was more clear.

Ploopie Wrote:
Edge Wrote:
Ploopie Wrote: Hey everyone. In the story I'm currently writing a book, where there is an older brother and younger sister. The brother is fifteen years old. The sister is ten. Any tips for writing about their relationship?

I don’t like where this is going...🤨

Why...?

Just know, I have seen things...

This limiting information, brought up some...reprehensible stories I saw once.

Anyway, that joke aside. I would need more context. For instance, what is the living condition?