Re: I hate litrpgs

I find them boring, tedious, and usually quite shallow.

I've read one litrpg I liked, it's called Mogworld, and it mentions no stats whatsoever. The entire rest of the genre is just... I can't. I've tried so many times. I don't like them. I don't like any of them.

People must be getting something out of reading them, or they wouldn't be so overwhelmingly popular, but I cannot for the life of me understand what it is.

LitRPG is just a genre. A lot are mostly about power grinding to get OP or pure wish fulfillement.

Some are doing a fine job though, just like fantasy the litRPG is just a tool to talk about characters and story. I currently follow and like delve .

But it's like saying, "I hate sci-fi". It's too vague to mean anything. Most litRPG are cattered for teenagers and light stories with harem and OP MC, but this doesn't mean some authors aren't starting to make more of the genre. It is a very young genre so you can expect a lot more change in the coming decade. 

It has to be noted that just because you dislike something it does not mean that it is of bad quality necessarily. 

I myself do not read litRPG - despite some attempts I've made - since the whole 'stats' and 'games mechanics' thing just takes me out of the story and makes it feel... like I am watching a game instead of immersing myself in a fantasy/sci fi world. 

However, with that being said, I do recognize that a number of litRPG stories I've tried to read had pretty good writing and interesting characters. They are, objectively speaking, well-written stories. And that's why people who are willing to accept the genre/premise, like them so much. 

Ok. I hate cringy comedies, especially of the romance variety. I can't for the life of me understand why people enjoy second hand embarassment. It makes me want to curl up in the couch with my face in the pillow and go 'la la la' until it's over with. Yet somehow this kind of movies regularly make blockbusters. 

We can't all love everything. That's ok. I like litRPG's, but I also like games, so it's not strange that I like game fiction. 

I hate horror. In my opinion there is already enough darkness in the world without imagining up even more. But who cares what I (or you) like or don't? Taste is perhaps the most subjective thing of all. Putting that out in the world is about as useful as telling everybody what color your poop was today.

CILinkzSpre3 Wrote: maybe make a litrpg where there are stats but you cant see them whenever you want and so it doesn't matter much in the day to day life. like a place you need to go in order to access your system instead of it updating in real time every second sentence

I had the same thought writing mine, the 'stats' the players can see are represented by spheres. The size and quality of the spheres give players a general idea but no hard numbers are visible anywhere, the only details given are what skills and abilities can do.

Don't get me wrong, I still love LitRPG's with stats and the like, but when writing mine it felt better to do it that way.

I can't hate a genre, but I can hate a book that brings me to hate on that genre. 
Such as, harem. I really hated harem... tbh.. but not all of it. There were only two books that I could say really bring to love that genre.
That was Yamada kun and the seven witches, that is a manga ofc, and Bunny senpai (although it doesn't have the tag harem, but you could tell it had a subtle harem on it.) 
So, back to the point. LitRPG. I never like or hated it. I only hate the books that bring me to hate it. Such as, SAO(although it was a Japanese light novel, but everyone would agree that SAO is the worst adaptation of LitRPG.) 
Everything about that book just doesn't make sense and it's only fan services. 
There were too many wrong about the book, that I couldn't even know where to start.
Oh wait there is one. Why the heck does the MC, posted something dangerous like that on the internet after he clears it? 
Why did Female lead didn't die? 
Why didn't the female lead return to the world like any other people?

So many question but I can't find it.
Sincerely, because of SAO, many people thinks that LitRPG should be like that. ( that's from my personal opinion). No its not. It's not a good example of a lit rpg.
If someone think that SAO is good. I want that person to read the Solo Leveling light novel, Omminiscent Reader, and the New Gate. Then, DM me about it. 

anyways that is why I only hate books that have that genre, rather than the genre itself because I figured there might be somewhere out there that has a good book about litrpg. 

DrakanAngry

You're not reading the right ones imo. I read litrpgs here and there, but mostly those without the stats and number crunching (I dislike that as well). On this site you can find even highly rated litrpgs like this such as Vainqueur the Dragon or Void Herald's other fics that are written in this way. Don't colour the entire genre based your bad experiences dude, at least read the best ones first

Haust Wrote: Ok. I hate cringy comedies, especially of the romance variety. I can't for the life of me understand why people enjoy second hand embarassment. It makes me want to curl up in the couch with my face in the pillow and go 'la la la' until it's over with. Yet somehow this kind of movies regularly make blockbusters. 

We can't all love everything. That's ok. I like litRPG's, but I also like games, so it's not strange that I like game fiction.

I completely agree with this. I can't even read stories where the MC is an idiot, I just hate them, something like what Haust said, second hand embarrassment.

Also, yeah, I can understand thinking some litrpg's are bad, but I've seen multiple where you don't even see your stats, you just have to feel you way around them, and its in a vr world with an AI maintaining your stats or something. I don't really understand your problem though. Is it that there are stats, or is the MC focusing too much on grinding or whatever, or what? You didn't mention what you didn't like about litrpgs. For example, most xianxia's are really shallow, wish fulfillment harem type stories, and then there are a few that are really good, with great characters, great world building, and great plot, basically all the important things necessary as a basis in almost every story, regardless of genre. For example, Ave Xia Rem Y, "A very cliche Xianxia harem story", I cried at multiple parts of it, and I really enjoyed the character development and other characters. I've had experiences with some really bad xianxias that have practically been written in slightly different ways by 20 different authors, but this one is great and those were bad, and that doesn't mean that the whole genre is good or bad, as one is great and the others are good. imo its a good genre that tends to be done badly. its the same for litrpg. its a good genre, with bad works. that doesn't mean its good for everyone. i don't like gender bender, for example, but daybreak on hyperion is pretty popular and for people who like what that story has think the story is great. i don't think the genre is bad, i just know that i don't like it.

Derin_Edala Wrote: I find them boring, tedious, and usually quite shallow.

Believe it or not, I share your assessment and I write litRPG
DrakanLaugh

In any other genre of fantasy, I'd tell people who hit me with paragraphs of plot-irrelevant stat lists to cut all that. At best, I only care about the stats the MC used in the fight that caused them to level. I don't need a run down of the other 93 miscellaneous skills they picked up and never used.

I see the game "system" more as the magic system you'd see in any other fantasy genre. Player guilds take the place of warring kingdoms and high level players are the "rich elites".

All these stories where the level 4 MC bumbles into some god item that lets them crush level 10s and higher or stumbling across some "super secret OP build" that literally no one else thought to use? Nah. Miss me with that.

BananaRoshan Wrote: but everyone would agree that SAO is the worst adaptation of LitRPG.

I'm about to play devil's advocate here:

SAO does one thing better than nearly every other LitRPG out there:

It implies that other players in the world are doing things to contribute towards escaping the system (or living their own lives). The main cast doesn't have world-breaking abilities just given to them, which means that none of the other players in the game have the potential to break the world—because that's exactly what players do.

I didn't care for its sequels, but this is the one thing I will praise SAO for. In terms of proper MMO design, it's one of the best examples of capturing the actual feel of an MMO in this genre. I actually cannot think of anything off my head that comes even close to it.

B.A. Wrote:
Derin_Edala Wrote: I find them boring, tedious, and usually quite shallow.

Believe it or not, I share your assessment and I write litRPG
DrakanLaugh

In any other genre of fantasy, I'd tell people who hit me with paragraphs of plot-irrelevant stat lists to cut all that. At best, I only care about the stats the MC used in the fight that caused them to level. I don't need a run down of the other 93 miscellaneous skills they picked up and never used.

You ain't the only one. Text blocks upon text blocks describing skills that the MC wont even pick, and the ones the does pick end up becoming redundant in a couple of chapters