Re: English as a second language

English is my third language. I also speak Russian, Hebrew and French (poorly). You'll see the influences of the first two in my stories, mostly in character and place names.

I wonder how many more writers here speak English as a second (or third or higher!) language? How much does your native language or culture influence your story? 

English is my third. I'm French nativ and german fluent and can also speak bits of russian, italian and chinese. 

It influences my story in a few strange expressions and other less used but which exist in english too (bas-relief, mise en abîme) and a lot of wrong uses, false friends and unintended sexual connotations. (Americans see sex everywhere, I swear) ^^

And poor grammar and lack of usual description expressions (which can be an advantage, it makes the writing less common) 

Hello, Urikson! English is my second language too! My native language doesn't affect me much, considering that it is rather more simple (written-wise; speaking it is incredibly difficult for non-natives) than English. However, my native culture is a huge influence on my story for sure in relating to its world, the protagonist's choice of accessories, her occupation, her nomadic lifestyle and her people living apart from the rest of the world, and etc. 

Dutch is my first language, English my second. I'm pretty good at German and know some French

It hasn't affected the story as such yet, but it has an influence on the writing itself. Sometimes a concept which in Dutch is a single word, doesn't have an English equivalent. The other way around also happens. I mostly think in English when I write, but occasionally those words make me take a mental detour, trying to find the word or description that has the right 'flavor'

English is technically my second language, but I moved to the United States when I was fairly young, some I'm fluent in it now. As far as culture goes, I do want to incorporate certain aspects of Filipino culture in my story someday, like folklore creatures like the aswang or Eskrima as a martial art. But what I am definitely influenced by are certain tropes in Filipino soap operas. There are certain tropes that reused over and over again, like a humble main character who grows up in a poor or working class family, usually bullied by the rich, snobby antagonist, but then we find out that the main character is actually adopted and their biological parents are actually obscenely rich. Bonus points if the main character are the antagonist are actually long lost siblings who slowly reconcile as the story goes on. You have no idea how many Filipino soap operas operate under this exact premise. But yeah, I think that trope applies to a handful of the characters in my story. 

English is also my second language. I do use quite a bit of Norse/Scandinavian influence in my main series, as I imagine that to be the first culture that migrated into this part of the world (so e.g. the names of gods, place names). Given the similarity between Old Norse and Old English, though, it is not particularly noticeable; you would almost have to be an etymologist to spot most of it.

English is my third language. I speak Bulgarian (first) and German (second), but I think my English is currently better than my German. No offense meant, but the grammar is a bit easier than the German one DrakanSigh . 

As for influences... well, I think that I slip sometimes when sentence structure is concerned. Storywise, there are some minor influences and some of the character's names sound a bit Slavic as a little token to my rooths.