Re: Handwriting in stories

Just a simple question, been working on a new chapter and I'm having a lot of trouble deciding something so I thought I'd come to the forums for this.

What are your opinions on handwriting in stories? One of the MC's will start the newest chapter by reading a Journal and I want to show what they´re reading, instead of them reading it out loud. I want to use a font that could pass as someone's handwriting instead of Times New Roman or something similar. I did this in one of the early chapters but this time I want to show a more elegant font, the problem is, I don't know if I should do this or what font to use if I should do it. I was wondering what people thought of this idea and if they knew of a nice, easily legible, font I could use. All of the ones I've tried may lead to people with vision difficulties being unable to read that section and if it leads to that I'd rather not do it at all.

Anyone got any advice they could give?

TeeMcTee Wrote:
Haust Wrote: I think the easiest thing to do is to use "-s and cursive. It doesn't mess with the readers personal font choices.
I'm a little fatigued at the moment could you elaborate please? And I really appreciate this, I know it's going to be really helpful when I understand what you mean by that XD  DrakanPotato
It's really just that. Don't complicate things too much. It's more comfortable for readers and even for writers to just use italics and so. It's a little weird to find in a webnovel some strange font readers are not familiar with. Well, it's your story after all, I'm just giving a recommendation.

Or you could rather describe how the handwriting looks like.

Madin Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:
Haust Wrote: I think the easiest thing to do is to use "-s and cursive. It doesn't mess with the readers personal font choices.
I'm a little fatigued at the moment could you elaborate please? And I really appreciate this, I know it's going to be really helpful when I understand what you mean by that XD  DrakanPotato
It's really just that. Don't complicate things too much. It's more comfortable for readers and even for writers to just use italics and so. It's a little weird to find in a webnovel some strange font readers are not familiar with. Well, it's your story after all, I'm just giving a recommendation.

Ohhh okay I understand now, way too tired to be posting on forums for questions. I think I'll just leave it at italics then, I want to immerse readers but I think it would be best if I keep it at italics. Thank you two for the help with this, definitely going to just leave it at that.

Nestor1079 Wrote: I forget the name, but there's a program you can use to build your own font. 
Use a tablet and draw out the alphabet, save it as a font, and there you go. 
Alternatively, just handwrite your note on a tablet, save it as an image, and paste the image into your story.
Also a really good idea, I didn't even consider that one.

TeeMcTee Wrote:
Madin Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:

Ohhh okay I understand now, way too tired to be posting on forums for questions. I think I'll just leave it at italics then, I want to immerse readers but I think it would be best if I keep it at italics. Thank you two for the help with this, definitely going to just leave it at that.
No, Haust was being obtuse.  Or there's a really weird typo in his original post.

Note that on RR if you want specialized fonts, you're likely going to need to make it a picture.  There are only so many fonts that RR will display.  I strongly recommend using the HR to make a clean break, then just use italics.  Readers can override your font/colors/etc anyway.

Dear soandso,
    I have your letter, and here's mine.  I know it's not fancy, but it's pretty clear what this is, even without fancy (and potentially hard to read) font action!

Sincerely,
Thusandsuch

And then we continue with the story.  Could also put it in a table and change the background color, but that gets a bit more complicated.  You can do the HR/Italics and just cut/paste and have it work.  Tables you'll have to tweak every dang time.  It's why almost everyone uses the blue box default.

luda305 Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:
Madin Wrote:
TeeMcTee Wrote:

No, Haust was being obtuse.  Or there's a really weird typo in his original post.
You're gonna have to point that out to me, because I've read this over three times and I still don't see it. 

But, to clarify... I mean it like "text goes here". 

O_Weaver Wrote: Just be careful about readability when using whatever font if you want to go that route. Sometimes a font that may look really pretty/realistic can be difficult for others to read, and that can slow down or hamper the reading experience for some people.
Yeah this is why I thought I should ask in a forum about it. I'm all about readability since my eyesight sucks eggs and I don't want anyone to feel excluded.

For a variety of reasons, using different fonts for handwriting really only works well for print copies. I play around with fonts for representing different character's handwriting, but I only do with in the paperback version. For ebooks or any other form of online reading, I just use italics to set them off from the rest of the narrative.