Re: [Admin] Author Premium Pageviews

Endless Wrote: Yeah. i was kinda surprised this was a thread rather than a blog post or just an announcement.
I felt it didn't really deserve a blog post.

DarkD Wrote: I'm shocked you actually stored the IP address of every viewer so you could actually remove year old views.  I understand doing that for reviews, but this has gotta be an enormous amount of HD space.
Author analytics only stores 6 months of data, and this is based on user ID, not IP address. The author is only filtered if they are logged in.

DarkD Wrote: I'm shocked you actually stored the IP address of every viewer so you could actually remove year old views.  I understand doing that for reviews, but this has gotta be an enormous amount of HD space.

Text compresses quite well, on top of taking basically no space on it's own. You can get about 80-90% compression on normal English text but unsure about the data for IP adresses or unique ID's

Tomolone Wrote:

Text compresses quite well, on top of taking basically no space on it's own. You can get about 80-90% compression on normal English text but unsure about the data for IP adresses or unique ID's

You can't really compress IPs much, it's either 4 or 16 bytes stored as binary rather than text. Possibly de-duplicate IPv6 as a compression method but beyond that, probably not a lot you can do. Unique IDs are even smaller, 4 or 8 bytes depending on 32 or 64 bit integers, or 16 bytes for UUIDs.

CloverCloverClover Wrote: I have a question: Did you also change the way outside referrer links are tracked...? Because I noticed now, for the first time, a bunch of outside referrers from a link that I know has already been up for months. I just assumed it generated very little traffic - I only saw a few hits from it before - but now I'm getting much more.
Must be so. I almost never get any off-site referrals at all, even when I checked out of habit right around the time the thread went up.  But just now I checked out of curiosity and I get a ton of off-site referrals now.