Re: Isekaied MCs

Anon8 Wrote: Aside from the very obvious its because the author makes it so, why is it that isekaied MCs find it easy to kill repeatedly without suffering any psychological breakdown. I would think a randomly transported person from the 21st century will be adverse to killing, and even doing so in self defense must have some sort of effect on him/her. What are some in story reasons for the lack of various forms of PTSD?
I think it's because most authors and writers are desensitized to death in fiction, so they prefer to just skip the whole PTSD, survivor's guilt step.

As for story reasons, perhaps the isekai'd character's new body doesn't register trauma similarly to someone from Earth, possibly evolving from a need to ignore rampant death, lest they die at the hands of an arrogant young master for not being able to recognize mount tai while in a fit of shock. 

You make some good points. In the Primal Hunter, where it's a system apocalypse, not an isekai'd MC, it is mostly glossed over, but the MC is a little bit psychotic. In another story, (maybe not isekai, don't remember which story) the MC was confused as to why he was so desensitized to killing, and realized the system or something was influencing his mind. I think it may have been a cheap excuse though to ignore that because the MC didn't focus to much on the mental magic. Another story I am enjoying has multiple main characters, where one is a turkey that was about to get killed for Thanksgiving, another was an old man that had fought in WW2 and killed already, another 1) wanted to be a druid and got isekai'd into a forest, so they didn't kill anything, 2) even though they've experienced a lot of pain, they are still treating it mostly like a game and not another reality. Another one of the characters is epileptic, and is more focused on surviving, especially since he doesn't have his medicine after being isekai'd. The last two are husband and wife, where yes, they are very hesitant about killing, but understand their new life depends on it, and that the other people isekai'd are their children and grandpa, and they are worried about them and willing to do anything to save the children.

Anon8 Wrote: Aside from the very obvious its because the author makes it so, why is it that isekaied MCs find it easy to kill repeatedly without suffering any psychological breakdown. I would think a randomly transported person from the 21st century will be adverse to killing, and even doing so in self defense must have some sort of effect on him/her. What are some in story reasons for the lack of various forms of PTSD?

I feel like I have to reply in this thread, because I actually do write an isekai'd MC whom -- after her major battle -- suffers PTSD and reoccurring nightmares due to not only the mistakes she made, but also the other lives she took.

Of course I also write a character whom, upon getting isekai'd, one of the first things that happens is they suffer an emotional breakdown over realizing that their entire past life was now gone -- their family, their friends, their academics, everything they had prepared for, and now they're stuck in a world where they don't even have a trade to rely upon...

So if this kind of psychology exploration interests you, check it out -- https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/42771/daybreak-on-hyperion

Well, my isekai is a samurai, so....