Re: Is there space for fiction that is not lit RPG or fantasy?

Hi everyone! I am a new author here. I mainly write  short stories in the horror and dystopian fiction genre. I am planning on transitioning into longer length Novellas/Novels in the future and I'm just wondering if this is the best place to post my genre of work? I see a lot of fantasy / lit RPG doing well here, which is not my expertise.

Does anyone else write in this genre?  is this the best place to gather an audience? Anyone know what the general demographics are for RR readers?  

Thank you!

aproyal Wrote: Thanks so much for the tip! Nice to meet you :)

Is there a lot of interest in short stories or are readers mainly geared towards longer fiction pieces, in your opinion?

the system of RR really lends itself more to long stories than it does short stories.

But there is not really any harm in posting it here as well as other places, so I'd say just post it regardless and advertise it in the forums, as that is probably your best bet for finding an audience for short stories here.

I also read Sci-fi, there are some good ones here and they are faring well.

But yes, the heart of the audience here is looking for: 1 LitRPG, 2 Dungeon 3 Fantasy. If you are doing something else, your reader base will shrink and getting exposure will take more time and effort. 
Whereas the same horror story with LitRPG in its title will quickly get views. ^^

Wish you the best, I believe there is an audience for horror too and that given time and effort you will find them.

There's definitely room for other types of fiction. I write dystopian drama in space (that will eventually carry some science fantasy elements). I'm not popular, but I get views, followers, a few comments, and have ended up on some favorite lists.

If you write consistently, write a good summary, and engage in the community, the people looking for a story like yours will find it.

Recently more authors have been writing horror stories with varying degrees of success. It's certainly not a top genre here, but there are readers who who will check it out. If you are going to post short stories, do it as a collection as opposed to individual stories. That will tend to attract more readers. As suggested easier, there's no exclusivity requirement here on Royal Road so you can post your work on multiple platforms to increase its exposure. Lots of readers here so it certainly wouldn't hurt to post your work on Royal Road.

aproyal Wrote: Hi everyone! I am a new author here. I mainly write  short stories in the horror and dystopian fiction genre. I am planning on transitioning into longer length Novellas/Novels in the future and I'm just wondering if this is the best place to post my genre of work? I see a lot of fantasy / lit RPG doing well here, which is not my expertise.

Does anyone else write in this genre?  is this the best place to gather an audience? Anyone know what the general demographics are for RR readers?  

Thank you!

Technically speaking, You can post juuuuuust about anything and it'll be accepted here. 
Realistically speaking, LitRPG and xianxia are pretty much the only things that get significant traction and high view counts here. You might get a small handful of consistent readers, but nowhere near the amount for xianxia and LitRPG. 

aproyal Wrote: Thanks for all of the points here, guys. I think I will try it out for a bit. I've got about 12 or so  short stories written at the moment. Might try to edit them and bundle them as a package until I start my longer fiction. Will post a few things and see how it goes. Cheers for all of the helpful responses.

If they have similar themes, you could do a horror anthology.

As many others have pointed out, the reader base for genres other than fantasy and litrpg here are very small in comparison. It is considerably harder to gain traction with something strictly dystopia or horror, especially if it's a short story. Most new fictions gain popularity by appearing on the front page every time a new chapter is released. So the more chapters you release, the more exposure you get.

For someone like me, who just write for fun and even a single view makes me happy, that's completely fine. But if you are looking to become big, it would be helpful to at least start writing longer stories (like 100k words ish) and publish it regularly (check out this https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/103055 link, it is very helpful).

Also I do write dystopia as well and am a huge fan of the genre, when I have time I'll be sure to check out your story!

aproyal Wrote: Hi everyone! I am a new author here. I mainly write  short stories in the horror and dystopian fiction genre. I am planning on transitioning into longer length Novellas/Novels in the future and I'm just wondering if this is the best place to post my genre of work? I see a lot of fantasy / lit RPG doing well here, which is not my expertise.

Thank you!

Ill be honest with you my dude, you won't get alot of traction on this site, especially not at first and concidering the genre's genral audience size you may be underwhelmed by he results, but go for it veritey is great and you may even awaken some avid horror fans by doing so.

one  of the main reason you will find it hard to branch out from the fantasy and litrpg genres in this site is because its litterally a homage to a story about a mmorpg novel, the very foundations of the site have lead to the overabundance of such stories and it was jarring for me a years ago when suddenly people stopped writing Re:whaterver and mmorpg stories in favour of straigh up fantasy but im thankful it did, overtime its alloud me to read some phenominal wors that im too much of a poorer to actually buy under other surcumstances.

another reason you may stuggle is the demographic of readers on this site, on one hand alot of the readers willbe teenagers who fell downw the anime rabbit hole and are just not far enoygh don the whole to enjoy well written thematic story telling  just yet, whichis also a problem as you may have noticed their are very few completed stories on this site, evne less than stories that go on for hundres of chapter it makes me question wheter or not an actuall story will be accepted the it would on other sites meant for those types of stories.

But once again let me reiterate.

DO IT! IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A HORROR STORY JUST DO IT.