Re: Helpful Tip for Writing Descriptions

I just learned a tip that helped me a ton when writing descriptions and I wanted to share:

---

When describing a scene, focus on movement. For example, when describing a field:

Instead Of:

"Green grass, cloudy skies and a bright sun."

Try:

"Wind rippled through the grass. Sunlight peeked through drifting clouds."

Applying movement makes readers feel like they're watching a movie, as opposed to viewing a photograph.

---

Anyway, I found that super helpful. Here's the source: https://youtu.be/u_Jpy9dyXSs?t=376

A lot of really great advice in that video, but this tip in particular really stood out to me. It literally elevated my writing overnight.

Would love to know any tips or links you have for writing better descriptions; that's an area I'm always looking to improve in.

bulatisssssss777 Wrote: Hello! Maybe you can tell me, I have a problem with writing essays, I wrote everything myself, but I have a large percentage of plagiarism, how to fix it?

Not sure if this is the right thread for it, maybe start your own thread for some advice? 

I would suggest if you're using plagiarism software (like turnitin), have a look at the things it flags as plagiarism. It is things you've read? If so, is it a problem you're having with paraphrasing? Also, maybe see if your university library has an academic writing department (most do in my country), they'll be able to look over your work and advise!

bulatisssssss777 Wrote: Hello! Maybe you can tell me, I have a problem with writing essays, I wrote everything myself, but I have a large percentage of plagiarism, how to fix it?

I had the same problem myself. At some point I needed to rewrite a lot of my work. So then I decided to ask some professionals for help. That would be my suggestion for you too. If you are looking for something specific - I can recommend this cite. This is the one, that I was using myself.

Yea, this helps a lot of people I find.  Next step is to blend in multiple types of storytelling into a single paragraph.  Don't stop at active descriptions, people don't like to read paragraphs of just descriptions.  Active descriptions are better than passive, but people want to advance the storyline at the same time that you describe the environment.  

Go from

"Wind rippled through the grass. Sunlight peeked through drifting clouds."

to

"Wind rippled through the grass as Amber ran.  She could see the sunlight peaking over the clouds as she made for home with magic on her mind.  That dusty old tomb had solved everything.  "