Re: What does your conceptualisation process look like?

I spend 10 minutes brainstorming on paper every day. Sometimes I write about stuff I read the day before, sometimes silly things on my mind, things I don't understand and dumb things people (including me) do. Mash it together and I usually have a pretty good story idea at the end of those 10 minutes, or the raw materials for a joke or two. 

Even if I don't have anything good at the end of those 10 minutes, I definitely will once I have filled up the notebook. 

Once I have an idea, spend a bunch of time trying to think up thematic principles for it and check it out from that lense. 

Then apply plot structure of choice. 

????

Profit

My ideas are primarily motivated by spite. I see something badly written enough that it offends me that it's so successful, scoff "that would be so easily made better by -- " to myself, and then find I have to try it to find out whether it *can* be made better. Then I have a story.

I don't know where the ideas come from. The little gremlin in my brain mines them, throws them into my thoughts, and then leaves me the arduous task of actually assembling them into a coherent narrative.

RenamedUser8903457 Wrote: In other words, where do your ideas for writing come from

My brain. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzuXqzdYmTQ

Quote:how do you flesh them out?

Sometimes drugs (they're legal here after all);
sometimes getting out into nature and hiking around will do it, working in my garden or whatever.
Sometimes I'll think about story ideas and flesh them out while I'm in the shower. 
There's no clear-cut answer. 

Ideas usually come from what I think of. They come from my brain.

How I flesh them out is two weeks of running the idea in my head. I don't write anything down. I don't commit to it yet. If my idea can get past the two-week stew, then I'll work on it and start the story prep. This keeps me from starting half-baked stories that go nowhere.

I generally don't visit old story ideas. If I like something that much, I tend not to forget it.

I described mine here: Writing Process thread but as a general recommendation I think you can't go too far wrong with the snowflake method, webbing, and a list of your previously collected ideas as tools in your arsenal.  Some people who are more visual thinkers probably do better with collecting images or drawing than webbing.  I use templates and lists too, but people who are more on the pantser end of things don't usually like that engineering or architectural kind of approach.

I really like to do my concepting as a social activity rather than something I do in isolation, but it seems rare for writers to be interested in that.  Maybe because a lot of people concept faster than I do because they are more eager to start writing or they are more decisive.

I usually start with a question. For Vile it was easy.

What would you bring to a fantasy world and what would you bring back?

I answered this question for myself and then asked a bunch of friends the same question.

I started figuring out my characters while listening to music. Different songs spoke to me about different characters; what their personality was like or what their journey was going to be like. I fleshed out little profiles for them and then began writing out vignettes for each character to explore how they react to different situations. That helped me flesh them out and give them unique voices.

Then I move onto the first draft. Start with a hook. Jump into the most interesting part of the setup for the book. In this instance my four main boys driving through a portal to another world and fighting monster wolves alongside a dwarf. 

Once I have the hook I will write my first draft as a stream of consciousness. Then create a reverse outline trying to figure out what scenes I wrote and what I attempted to do in each scene. With a clear layout of the first draft, I begin the second draft and try my hardest to hammer home the characters and the dialogue because thats what matters to me this time around. For someone on the outside reading it, the story might look like a script because it is so focused on moving from scene to scene to flesh out dialogue.

Third draft is interweaving the outline and the second draft with a detailed environment and much more description. Especially fight scenes. I love to come back to any conflict and really flesh it out. Because fights are my bread and butter. 

Then I edit and revise until I'm dead inside.