Re: Woo! First drive-by .5!

I feel like I've arrived. I was pretty much expecting it, since I write fantasy with trans and non-hetero characters, and I probably drew attention to myself by getting involved on impulse in that disaster of a "How much sex?" thread over in General - on the minority sex-positive side. My 4 perfect 5-star ratings on my primary project, the very openly trans one, just got trashed by a single .5 - and judging from the view numbers, it was indeed a drive-by.

If i were actually taking this terrible, easily-abused rating system seriously, I'd probably be upset. As it is, I know that what I write is going to upset the narrow-minded, so I'm taking it as meaning that I'm just getting a bit more visibility. Eh, bigot trolls, what can you do?

Oh yeah, I can just be happy with my views and keep writing, and feel like I've now joined the club with some of the best fiction on the site!

Thank you, for the sympathy and the compliment. :-) I'm not really that worried, since I've been writing for longer than most people on this site have been alive and I'm fairly confident in my own skills, and I don't post LGBT stories without expecting a few spitballs in my direction. (My best friend says this reminds her of little kids in a schoolyard screaming about cooties. LOL)

I like the company in this club!

:DrakanWine:

Even when not dabbling with sensitiv matters you'll get 0.5. So can't imagine what it is to face the bigotry. 

I sometime wonder who are these people who have so much hate for other's sexuality that they take the time to try to hinder them everywhere? 
Even for fictionnal caracters. Some people have far too much free time. ^^

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: don't forget to report.

Is there much point?

No regrets, really. Even if nothing I said was likely to make an impression on the more puritanical types, I'm not a fan of staying quiet in the face of loud negativity and letting people with different opinions feel alone.
Tynian Wrote: So can't imagine what it is to face the bigotry.

If the worst they do is petty rating bombs, then I'm not that worried, personally - but it could be pretty devastating to someone new at writing, new at (or still working on) figuring out who they are, or both. Sadly, it comes with the territory. As for why they do it, who knows? But I found this description from an ex-bigot educational.

Prysmcat Wrote: Is there much point?

No regrets, really. Even if nothing I said was likely to make an impression on the more puritanical types, I'm not a fan of staying quiet in the face of loud negativity and letting people with different opinions feel alone.

parkertallan Wrote: Depending on the circumstances, reporting the 0.5's might be worthwhile. I've known authors who've gotten some removed. Hope you quickly get more positive reviews to compensate.

@Prysmcat that is indeed courageous of you. But as parkertallan said, if you report it, and if there are others reporting the 0.5s too, it may help identify a troll who does the 0.5 drive bys habitually. You should definitely consider it.
peolove

So, just as a follow-up, I did report it, and was told that it was a long-time user with no link to malicious rating activity.

I don't think I buy that it was innocent, because seriously, even the fact that I have properly-edited clean grammar and spelling should probably get better than that in any kind of fair system, and the timing is suspicious, but hey... I tried. No site is perfect.

If you aren't annoying the close-minded, you're probably doing it wrong. Wink

Thanks for the congrats etc, folks! Life goes on. I'm more worried about new writers than I am about myself, so if you see this and you're new... always laugh at haters. They hate that.

Prysmcat Wrote: I feel like I've arrived. I was pretty much expecting it, since I write fantasy with trans and non-hetero characters, and I probably drew attention to myself by getting involved on impulse in that disaster of a "How much sex?" thread over in General - on the minority sex-positive side. My 4 perfect 5-star ratings on my primary project, the very openly trans one, just got trashed by a single .5 - and judging from the view numbers, it was indeed a drive-by.

If i were actually taking this terrible, easily-abused rating system seriously, I'd probably be upset. As it is, I know that what I write is going to upset the narrow-minded, so I'm taking it as meaning that I'm just getting a bit more visibility. Eh, bigot trolls, what can you do?

Oh yeah, I can just be happy with my views and keep writing, and feel like I've now joined the club with some of the best fiction on the site!

This is part of the reason why I never refer to the protag's girlfriend in my story as her girlfriend. Just "precious" or "friend" in all the synopsis stuff.

I don't want someone to get mad over a bisexual protag and have a fit. That and I don't want people to just see my story as "an lgbt story".

MarikoRawralton Wrote: This is part of the reason why I never refer to the protag's girlfriend in my story as her girlfriend. Just "precious" or "friend" in all the synopsis stuff.

I don't want someone to get mad over a bisexual protag and have a fit. That and I don't want people to just see my story as "an lgbt story".

There is, in that story, literally no possible way that I could write the synopsis without it being very clear that there is a lot of gender chaos happening. LOL

And, honestly, I'll deal with the spitballs in the interests of an honest description of what I'm offering, since I'd like non-cis and non-hetero folks to know that this (and anything I write) is going to be friendly and have characters that are a tad more diverse. I can see advantages to going stealth, but I've spent enough of my life trying to avoid queer content in my stories and downplay the parts that insisted on staying, trying not to make waves, trying not to upset anyone. Not doing it anymore. If I get spitballs and annoy people in the course of just telling good stories and describing them truthfully then (as long as it isn't the admins)... oh well. Like I said above, just means I'm doing it right.

Prysmcat Wrote: I've spent enough of my life trying to avoid queer content in my stories and downplay the parts that insisted on staying, trying not to make waves, trying not to upset anyone. Not doing it anymore.

Oh, I didn't stop myself or downplay it. They literally kiss and "fade to black" in like... Chapter 6.

I mean I keep it out of the "limelight". Cuz if someone gets mad at me over it (they have before), I at least got like 6 reads and a few comments out of them.

Think of it this way. Receiving a .5 star rating is the literary equivalent of a piece of armor being 'proofed' by shooting a musket ball at it and putting a dent in it. That dent is proof that the armor is sound enough to take a gunshot and protect the wearer. Ergo, your story is good enough to piss off some ignoramuses into firing shots at your story. It has been 'proofed' and found worthy.

MarikoRawralton Wrote: I mean I keep it out of the "limelight".

Everyone's got a different comfort zone. :-) 
Fox-Trot-9 Wrote: It has been 'proofed' and found worthy.

Good way to see it. Good way to see a lot of things, really...
AlexaLee Wrote: Just got another 0.5 drive by. That's fun.

I really like this site in most ways, but holy cow, that rating system is just inviting chronic abuse. Join me in a glass of wine? 
:DrakanWine: