Re: New to RoyalRoad, need some good books to read.

I'm basically a fetus here with no knowledge of experience whatsoever. I haven't grasp the format of the website and the tags so I'm resorting to ask some experienced royalroad readers out there for some guidance.

I will read anything really, it just had to be a good or a decent story. Though I'm more in favor towards the tags below:
  • Slice of Life
  • Romance (BG, BL, GL, Harem, RH) 
  • Adventure
  • Age/Any kind of Progression
  • Fluff, pleazz
  • Reincarnation/Transmigration - particularly bringing modern knowledge to another world
Lastly, does every book here have mature content, smut or s3xscenes? I've noticed we don't have any RR tags. I'd like it if the recommendations have these, but it's not necessary. 

What a wide array of RR's most popular genres. Here is my story, maybe you'll like it.

(link)
Categories: Comedy, Fantasy, Action, Adventure, litRPG, Harem (sort of), a bit of possible Romance

Warning: Tagged 15+ for Sexual Innuendos, Strong Language and Violence

Synopsis
Katsuragi Kenta was a gamer. He did exactly what he needed to obtain the games he wanted and the time to play them; nothing more, nothing less. When his entire class is transported to a fantasy world, Kenta is suddenly an expert on their situation and the world around them. Naturally, he sets out on his own to escape his two faced classmates.
Two months later he returns and discovers that Momokawa Kyou, formerly the most popular girl in class, was left behind by their classmates. The two strike up an uneasy alliance despite despising each other. What’s more, they may have to work together to survive a curse.
Kenta will have his hands full surviving his new fantasy world. If the monsters don’t get him, Kyou just might!

Reasons to read the story:
* It's a story in the style of a Japanese Light Novel, written in English by a German; that has to mean something!
* The story mixes well-known cliches with a fresh breath of originality and satire. If you seek new and old at the same time, it may be for you!
* There is a big comedic element involved.
* The MC is neither OP, nor a clear underdog, it's a story about growth in power and personality, and this MC has a lot to grow personality-wise.
* The girls in this harem-story are strong personalities, for better or worse, and have their own wants and needs without any relation to the MC.

There are three major ways to locate stories on Royal Road:
  1. Under the "Read" menu," browsing through the lists provided there, most often "Best Rated," "Complete" (which is sorted the same as "Best Rated," but includes only completed fictions), and "Trending" (which are fictions which have recently had a big uptick in popularity).
  2. The sub-forum "Recommendations," particularly any of the pinned "Important Threads" as well as a few other maintained lists which are not pinned (e.g., LGBTQIA StoriesRecommendations by luda305)
  3. The Advanced Search. Most of it is self-explanatory, but here's a little more: Genre goes to the type of story being told; you can click one (green) to include or twice (red) to exclude; hover your mouse over each for an explanation.  Tags go to specific story elements, and including and excluding must be separately entered in the two boxes; if you tap on a box, the list of tags with descriptions comes up.  Content warnings (like genre) can be triggered to include (green) or exclude (red); but there is a low threshold for any of them so you won't know how much of each is included (this goes to your question about explicit mature content).  The average rating on the site is somewhere around 4, with most of the highly regarded stories being around 4.5 or higher.  Status goes to whether the story is complete, ongoing, hiatus, dropped, or stub (click on box for more info). Type goes to whether the story is a fan fiction or original fiction. And the two checkboxes go to whether certain stories you have previously tagged as followed, favorited or not interested should be excluded or included. 

lurker_21 Wrote: It sounds like beware of chicken has lots of stuff you would be interested in. It's set in an Eastern setting and has romance and a protag from another world (that doesn't come up much but oh well). He does give the world some concepts from our world though. It's usually somewhere at the top of best rated.

This was the first novel I saw on the website and also, the first novel I was interested in. I was a bit wary with there only having 90 entrees cause I'm used to really really long novels. But at this point in a slump, I'm gonna read it anyway. Thanks! 

kentusrpg Wrote: What a wide array of RR's most popular genres. Here is my story, maybe you'll like it.

(link)
Categories: Comedy, Fantasy, Action, Adventure, litRPG, Harem (sort of), a bit of possible Romance

Synopsis
Katsuragi Kenta was a gamer. He did exactly what he needed to obtain the games he wanted and the time to play them; nothing more, nothing less. When his entire class is transported to a fantasy world, Kenta is suddenly an expert on their situation and the world around them. Naturally, he sets out on his own to escape his two faced classmates.
Two months later he returns and discovers that Momokawa Kyou, formerly the most popular girl in class, was left behind by their classmates. The two strike up an uneasy alliance despite despising each other. What’s more, they may have to work together to survive a curse.
Kenta will have his hands full surviving his new fantasy world. If the monsters don’t get him, Kyou just might!

* It's a story in the style of a Japanese Light Novel, written in English by a German; that has to mean something!
* The story mixes well-known cliches with a fresh breath of originality and satire. If you seek new and old at the same time, it may be for you!
* The MC is neither OP, nor a clear underdog, it's a story about growth in power and personality, and this MC has a lot to grow personality-wise.
* The girls in this harem-story are strong personalities, for better or worse, and have their own wants and needs without any relation to the MC.

This sounds really interesting, I'll definitely check it out! 

luda305 Wrote: There are three major ways to locate stories on Royal Road:
  1. Under the "Read" menu," browsing through the lists provided there, most often "Best Rated," "Complete" (which is sorted the same as "Best Rated," but includes only completed fictions), and "Trending" (which are fictions which have recently had a big uptick in popularity).
  2. The sub-forum "Recommendations," particularly any of the pinned "Important Threads" as well as a few other maintained lists which are not pinned (e.g., LGBTQIA StoriesRecommendations by luda305)
  3. The Advanced Search. Most of it is self-explanatory, but here's a little more: Genre goes to the type of story being told; you can click one (green) to include or twice (red) to exclude; hover your mouse over each for an explanation.  Tags go to specific story elements, and including and excluding must be separately entered in the two boxes; if you tap on a box, the list of tags with descriptions comes up.  Content warnings (like genre) can be triggered to include (green) or exclude (red); but there is a low threshold for any of them so you won't know how much of each is included (this goes to your question about explicit mature content).  The average rating on the site is somewhere around 4, with most of the highly regarded stories being around 4.5 or higher.  Status goes to whether the story is complete, ongoing, hiatus, dropped, or stub (click on box for more info). Type goes to whether the story is a fan fiction or original fiction. And the two checkboxes go to whether certain stories you have previously tagged as followed, favorited or not interested should be excluded or included. 

Thank you so much for this! 

Welcome! Hope you're liking it here so far. Here's a few suggestions you might like :D

Villager Three
Fluffy adventure (power) progression, mc is isekaied into a fantasy future, slice of life

The Saintess and the Villainess
Otome transmission novel, fluffy romance, some court intrigue.

Vanquishing Evil for Love
Fluffy romance with slice of life adventure

The Salamanders
Very slow paced slice of life, some adventure and (power) progression 

Our Goddess
Fluffy slice of life polyamorous lesbian harem (a little bit of sex scenes)

Nora and the Search for Friendship
Slow paced fluffy slice of life, mc reincarnates into otome story, but wants friends more than romance, not much bringing future tech into the world. Age progression 

Medusa and the blind woman
Slow paced romance with some adventure, slice of life as well

Data Dragon Danika
Slice of life, romance, adventure, fluffy and wholesome

kentusrpg Wrote: What a wide array of RR's most popular genres. Here is my story, maybe you'll like it.

(link)

Synopsis

Bahahah, I remember picking this up when it had a few chapters out, then life got busy! Been on the back of my mind for years about finding it again, imagine my surprise the author himself reminds me about it! 

I'll put it on my to-read list asap and not let it slip away again

Uhohh Wrote: I'm basically a fetus here with no knowledge of experience whatsoever. I haven't grasp the format of the website and the tags so I'm resorting to ask some experienced royalroad readers out there for some guidance.

I will read anything really, it just had to be a good or a decent story. Though I'm more in favor towards the tags below:
  • Slice of Life
  • Romance (BG, BL, GL, Harem, RH) 
  • Adventure
  • Age/Any kind of Progression
  • Fluff, pleazz
  • Reincarnation/Transmigration - particularly bringing modern knowledge to another world
Lastly, does every book here have mature content, smut or s3xscenes? I've noticed we don't have any RR tags. I'd like it if the recommendations have these, but it's not necessary.

May I recommend my story? Demesne is a slice of life town/dungeon-building story in a high-fantasy NON-LITRPG setting, about a wizard and a group of colonists setting up a new home in a new, unexplored continent. It's slice of life, dealing with the problems of having to set up basic infrastructure without the support of 'modern' resources, small town government, finding out what problems magic can and can't solve, and how people take child labor for granted. Really, kids do a lot and old people keep expecting them to do it... 

So come for the slice-of-life, day to day adventures of setting up a town on the frontier in a fantasy setting, where dragon can and will fuck your shit up.

Books by CorpseDead. More specifically I would recommend giving The Mage Emperor a try, and if you finish and enjoyed it, give some of his older works a try. The author is currently working on editing his older works, as they are not quite at the same standard as The Mage Emperor.

Books by Andur. You should definitely at least give one of his stories a try, this author is one of the top authors and has a ton of stories to enjoy. Andur has so many books at this point that it is hard to know where to start. Most of his stories revolve around the same two main characters who are a couple and keep being reincarnated into different worlds/settings. The MCs are usually very strong, with romance and some fluff, but not a ton of fluff. I would recommend to start with one of these depending on the genre you want to read:
  • Law of Shadows: Urban Fantasy 
  • Beyond?: Standard fantasy/magic
  • Coeus?: Science Fiction - sorta a mix of science and magic genres; it is a sci-fi story with spaceships and sci-fi tech things as well as having mages.
  • The Tale of G.O.D.: A more standard sci-fi story - less magic, more technology with a system
One book by Xel, Los. It is a transmigration story that I have been enjoying a lot. Has some fluff, but no romance. It is more of a progression fantasy story than slice-of-life, but it has elements of both. It isn't quite as large as the stories above, but it is still 300+ pages of quality story.

Unparalleled. This is more of a traditional fantasy transmigration story with an OP main character, but there is some romance (though it is a bit slow and not focused on), and it is a well written story that doesn't always show up on the top of the searches.

Also, in response to your question about mature content, the moderators of the site do not allow stories where their entire purpose is smut/mature content, but if a story has it it is usually allowed. Most authors that have smut/mature content will put mature scenes behind spoiler tags so a reader can skip if needed and otherwise label everything with mature content/smut. However, there are not many stories on this site that have smut/mature content.