Re: How do you think?

In taking ASL classes, I discovered that not all people think in words.  Some think in concepts or images, as I now do when it concerns scenes and concepts in my stories.  I once even heard a deaf person sign that their thoughts were a mix of images and a jibberish language in their head.

So now I ask you, what is your form of thought?  Is it words, concepts, images, jibberish, some mix of these, or is it something else?

Intrigued,
Wile

Wilewriter17 Wrote: In taking ASL classes, I discovered that not all people think in words.  Some think in concepts or images, as I now do when it concerns scenes and concepts in my stories.  I once even heard a deaf person sign that their thoughts were a mix of images and a jibberish language in their head.

So now I ask you, what is your form of thought?  Is it words, concepts, images, jibberish, some mix of these, or is it something else?

Intrigued,
Wile

Personally, I've always fully voiced and visualized everything in my thoughts. For writing, I first just imagine what happens in the chapter and then put it into words which is the hardest part for me. I might be able to do this because I have a background in Game Design and I've been a 3D modeler since I was 10.

The closest approximation for my thoughts is a radio that's constantly on. Sometimes it's an internal monologue, sometimes it's repeating something I've heard or imagining a conversation I could have or the wording of a forum post or story scene I could write, or playing songs (which I often end up humming/singing along to) but it's basically only words. I can't really imagine images, though I can remember snapshots of things or places I've seen. If I really strain I can construct really bad slideshows, but there's nothing like video happening in my mind.

Most books I read I don't have more than impressions of things, like a wordcloud, but of feelings. Physical descriptions do very little for me, apart from adding concepts to the concept-cloud associated with the character. I'm constantly surprised by fanart or movie adaptations, 'oh, that's what that character looks like,' because the feeling of them in my head is nothing remotely visual.

So, heavily conceptual/word-based for me. :)

EDIT: Also, I started a thread with a similar question a few months back, if you're interested in what people said there: What does it feel like inside your mind?

Now that you ask, and I try to answer, I don't seem to have one.

I get lost in thoughts for hours when I'm worried/sad/anxious and in that time I think about actions/consequences. But there were no images nor any words.

Even at this moment I am thinking about how I think and there's no image, no sound... But there's just this concept or situation or perhaps it's just the gist of what feeling I'd have in that situation.

Wilewriter17 Wrote: Is it words, concepts, images, jibberish, some mix of these, or is it something else

I am curious as to what thinking in concept is according to you. I think I understand what it means to thinking in words, images and in case of the deaf, jibberish.

I have between 2-4 threads of thought going through my head at any given moment in time. Mostly streams of consciousness that collide then fragment outwards, before fizzling out or merging. Bits of words, images, films, and music clutter the thoughtscape. Interestingly, I find myself using quotes from things that resonated with me like solid land amid the chaotic sea of consciousness. In some ways it feels like a rollercoaster, with sudden spins and jerks in unexpected directions. Sometimes my wife will ask me what I am thinking about and my answer is always "several things at once".

I always have some music playing in the back of my head if there is silence. One of the weirder aspects of that is the volume gets turned way up as I fall asleep, which sometimes results in me snapping awake from the suddenly loud music in my head. To combat this I try to play music while I work, so I can override and control what I am listening to. Nothing is more hateful than being stuck with a song in your head you can't stand.

Wilewriter17 Wrote: I suppose what I mean by "thinking in concepts" is thinking the idea of something, but not the words, not the images.  For illustration, thinking the idea of "a man rides on a horse," without thinking the words or seeing it in your head.

Then I guess that's the medium I think in.

Um. Let's see if I can describe the complicated chaos in my head for you in any coherent way.

I'm semi-faceblind: I can recognize faces if I've been exposed to them enough and they're significant in some way, but I can't bring an image of the face of a stranger to mind at all, and even with the people I recognize, I still couldn't answer questions about facial details. I tend to recognize people by voice, build, the way they move, the way they speak, the way they normally dress. That said, I'm hypersensitive to social cues, although I'm not sure facial expressions are a large part of that. (This was problematic once: the used bookstore I worked in was robbed while I was there alone, and I had no hope of identifying the person from facial photos despite having had a perfectly good look at him.)

Outside of people, I have a very vivid pansensual memory that lets me evoke scents, sights, sounds, and sensations pretty readily. If I want to remember some precise detail and bring that exact thing back at will, however, I need to start attaching words to it. Words are concrete and precise and give me a way of filing things.

When I write, I tend to include details of all senses, but you're unlikely to get much of a description of anyone's face in anything but very vague terms. When I read descriptions like that, I tend to glaze a bit and can't really visualize it, although descriptions that I read otherwise evoke sensory memories for me with no trouble.

But how my brain works when it comes to writing... that's a whole story in itself that I've been watching develop for a long time.

Oh, and I'm mildly synesthetic. Words and names come with suggestions of colour and... feel? But only when I'm writing, or maybe I've learned to turn it off elsewhere, I don't know. Out-of-place words are jarring.

I really hope that makes any kind of sense. I honestly find it hard to imagine not being able to play songs in my head or actually see my characters doing things, although I know that that's perfectly normal function for a lot of people.

I think in a mix of concepts and words.  Concepts are the default, words if I'm self-narrating, reading, or imagining a conversation.  Sometimes a 1-3 word fragment with concepts attached to it so it means more than just the words.  Not usually images because those are slower and cost more mental effort.  When I'm dreaming, though, it's all images and concepts, almost no words.

I think in images. I always come up with my ideas in my sleep or watching something random. I visualize it and develop a rough idea. After that, I write the first thing that comes into my mind. My ideas run in loops around my head, only lately has it started to change. However, this make my story feel a little disjointed. You can tell me words, however, my vocabulary is limited as I constantly forgot what most words mean. Only in sentences I can most of the time understand words, but most of the time words just look like complete gibberish to me.

I can't visualize well. I've trained myself to pull up flashes of really common images but they are not clear pictures. I can't see a shape and rotate it, etc. Instead 
, I have a constant narrator who narrates my life and speaks back what I need. I spend hours looking at things and compiling this encyclopedia of descriptions in my mind so I can pull them, readily, to voice a concept. I can conceptualize an idea and pull bits and pieces from my encyclopedia until I just know if someone painted the picture, it'd be right.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, lol, but it's how I think.

When I'm anxious my brain won't shut up LOL. I think in words, either talking to myself or playing out situations differently. When I'm calm I only see images like a silent movie playing out in my head from whatever I'm either thinking about writing or just daydreaming. When I'm fearful/scared I'll image the worst possible scenario. And I mean the worst. I think of it like jinxing myself. If I imagine the worst possible situation, then it will never happen now that I've seen it. When I'm planning out my writing, I think in words and images. Again, like movie but this time with sound. More drama and action.