Re: 200 Views vs 30 Views (Royal Road vs Wattpad)

So I've been running a tiny experiment over the past couple months. I used to love Wattpad in 2014 up until about 2017, but the website has gone through a few changes over the past couple years and (without going too far down that rabbit hole) it's not the same as it used to be.

Anyway, I've been uploading my story both here on Royal Road and on Wattpad. On RR, I've received 200 views! That doesn't sound like a lot, I know, but I've never gotten 200 views on anything. As I write this, I just checked and I even got a brand new follower, bringing it to seven unique followers! I probably don't need to say I don't have any followers on Wattpad... or comments/reviews... or votes. 

When I uploaded my very first chapter, I received a review within an hour. I'm not a lucky person, but that was a pure stroke of luck. The reviewer had just uploaded his own first chapter minutes before mine, and must have been keeping an eye on the Newly Released section. His review was polite, acknowledging that my story wasn't the genre he usually enjoyed but that he liked my writing style and wished me the best. I've never received feedback from a stranger before and it gave me a sense of motivation. Now, whenever I don't feel like writing, I just read that review and manage to pump out another thousand words or so. 

I really appreciate this community and I'm so glad I found it. I had gotten a bit hopeless when I saw the Wattpad community basically disappear overnight, thinking that I'd never find something similar. But now, here I am, with 200 views, 7 followers, and a review on day one. And I'm ecstatic.

Thanks for reading my ramblings! 

Hey! I actually just started publishing some work too online like, three days ago haha on here and Wattpad. I was on Wattpad from like 2013-2017ish; (unfortunately original works never made it too far anyway, but hey those were the Wattpad golden days lol) but them removing the forums was a surprising and terrible move! It completely removes any community and self-promotion from the site, so people are only going to flock to the popular stuff smh. 

Congrats on the views and review here though! That's awesome to hear :D People here also seem to be so willing to give actual feedback from what I've seen, which is so different from Wattpad too. Your cover looks super cool too, love the lines through the Os! 

Good luck with your writing journey!

Thank you!  I totally agree that removing the forums was a terrible move on Wattpad's part. They might as well have just deleted all community interaction. At least there's a great community here!

Angry_Raccoon Wrote: People here also seem to be so willing to give actual feedback from what I've seen, which is so different from Wattpad too.

This!! God, the amount of comments I see on Wattpad books that just say things like 'Oh wow', 'I can't believe she did that!', '#relatable' and stuff like that. It's mind-numbing. I don't think I've ever seen a proper review on Wattpad.

Angry_Raccoon Wrote: Your cover looks super cool too, love the lines through the Os!
Thank you! My covers are amateurish but I don't think they're terrible. The lines are actually an & sign!

Probably_an_author Wrote: Thank you!  I totally agree that removing the forums was a terrible move on Wattpad's part. They might as well have just deleted all community interaction. At least there's a great community here!

I wonder what happened that would've made them shut it down. I figure either it was some unmoderated stuff between some underage and over-age users (oh no if so :( or the site not wanting to put in the money to keep the forums up. I guess we'll never know lol

Quote:
Quote:
This!! God, the amount of comments I see on Wattpad books that just say things like 'Oh wow', 'I can't believe she did that!', '#relatable' and stuff like that. It's mind-numbing. I don't think I've ever seen a proper review on Wattpad.
Yes! I'm in the same camp lol. Before that I used to be on a site called Figment (rip--my pre-teen work was so bad on there) and we used to do 'swaps' all the time to trade reviews and get feedback lol. If I recall right, I did that a few times with Wattpad, but even the "reviewers" were giving very kind and superficial feedback lol. I'll take anything over nothing, but here people seem to have a better grasp of writing/language so that's better. Plus, I think most people are more young adults/upper teens/adults rather than a pre-teen crowd.

Quote:
Thank you! My covers are amateurish but I don't think they're terrible. The lines are actually an & sign!

Oh dang, I didn't even realize it was an ampersand until you said that! I now see it though--that's even cooler lol. It looks really nice! The red eyes are a cool touch haha

kmd_dgkr Wrote: And true, we really don't get discovered on wattpad. On wattpad we need to already have followers to gain even little exposure. Even then, they get notified when we make an announcement, which just gets lost in their other notification. Tags are numerous and so are works and only a big combination of them might lead us to our work. The probability becomes lesser.

Yeah, WP's become a soul-crushing black hole that syphons all the readers away from small writer to the super popular ones that have made it big there.

Angry_Raccoon Wrote: Hey! I actually just started publishing some work too online like, three days ago haha on here and Wattpad. I was on Wattpad from like 2013-2017ish; (unfortunately original works never made it too far anyway, but hey those were the Wattpad golden days lol) but them removing the forums was a surprising and terrible move! It completely removes any community and self-promotion from the site, so people are only going to flock to the popular stuff smh.

Yeah, the day WP took out the community site was the day WP died. I was there during the golden years, too, and it's so sad seeing WP the way it is now. It's sad, but that just means that RR and other sites like it get more writers, which attracts more readers, which attracts more writers, etc.

Fox-Trot-9 Wrote: Oh, wow, congrats on all that! And yeah, RR is way better than WP in terms of exposure!
Yeah that's so true! It seems like anyone can make it on Royal Road, if they put enough work in. I'm so excited! Thanks for the support.
DrBuller Wrote: New authors here have a larger chance of getting noticed. Helps everybody in the long run

Yeah, honestly. I'm so glad that a site like this actually exists. I suppose Reddit is good for some things haha.

I'm in the exact same situation as you! I post on Inkitt and Wattpad too. My views are radically different:
For Irision
Wattpad: 286
Inkitt: 331
RR: 7617

They're even more different for my newer book, Inkitt and Wattpad have about 40 views between them and yet here I just hit 700.

I've been on WP and Inkitt for a little bit longer and yet, I much much prefer RR! 

I hope your fiction finds similar success here too!

Congrats! 200 is a great start!  :DrakanWine:

And I'm yet another "Me too!" (I recently posted in Celebrations about it, in fact - that a single fiction got me more views in 2 months than that one, three complete novels, and another ongoing one got on Wattpad in a year, and honestly, most of the WP views were by one person who left a lot of comments I replied to and we did the same on a couple of hers.) And here, no constant slogging in a struggle to try to get just that slightest bit of notice. It's easier to just focus on actually, y'know, writing. It feels here like less of a frantic and highly-competitive scramble to get up into that narrow top tier, because even if you aren't in it, you can still get views and followers.