Re: Lara P. Ambrose, Fantasy and Horror Writer!

Hey there! My name's Lara and I'm more of a hobby writer than anything. I stick to the contemporary fantasy and horror genres, and I just finished the first book in my fantasy series EPHEMERAL REVERIE! I'm posting chapters up here every Friday, and am planning to publish it on Amazon.

Here's a small, shameless plug-in for that book!

EPHEMERAL REVERIE #1 - THE SILENCE BETWEEN
All Charlie wanted was her own life. Denied the trials and raised instead by her paranoid mother, she doesn’t know anything expected of her as Guardian. Thankfully, she’s not alone. Her immortal protector and childhood friends welcome her return home, and although Charlie sees the end of her path, not knowing just where it winds is what drives her forward. But her resolve sets a fantastical series of events into motion, and a tangled web of secrets soon spins across the small seaside town.

EPHEMERAL REVERIE is a contemporary fantasy fiction series that follows the trials of Guardian-to-be Charlie, weaving threads of fantasy, mythology, science fiction, and mystery.

CONTENT WARNINGS: PG-13 level violence, blood, occasional harsh swearing

As for Horror and Thriller content, I'm working (slowly) on a supernatural thriller series that follows a young woman named Maia as she tries to break free from a deadly entity’s twisted game.

Hope you are are having a good weekend, and I wish you all the best in your writing endeavors!

Be well, and be kind.

~Lara

Welcome,

Your customized introductory package includes:
  1. https://www.royalroad.com/account/signature has a new feature to auto-generate a signature for your fictions, it's based on Xian's detailed signature creation guide (https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107061) just in case you want to do something more advanced in it by hand. 
  2. One completely normal, not very horrifying, but kinda cute DrakanPotato  ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™.
Happy Writing!

Welcome to Royal Road. Fantasy is popular here and horror seems to be growing in popularity as well. If you haven't already, check out the FAQ's under Support to learn more about the site. Also being active in the Forums and commenting on stories you read is a great way to interact with the community. I hope you enjoy your experience here and that your work attracts many readers. Good luck.

ArDeeBurger Wrote: It is always nice to see another author here. I wish you the best of very ducky luck! 

If you'd like some help with your blurb, let me kow. I seem to be pretty good at writing them.

❤🦆😸🐰❤

Thanks a ton! And I think I might take you up on that offer! :P Just churned out the blurb for the supernatural thriller book and would like some advice. 

MARKED #1 - Broken By Shadows
A pair of hikers removed a haunted statue from a remote cave and were tormented by a terrifying entity. Even after returning it, their bodies turned up in the middle of the Kaaterskil Mountains, bound, withered, and Marked. The event was swept under the rug by INDoS and M3—the International Division of the Supernatural, and their core team of investigative agents.

Now one of their own—a young but prodigious agent named Spencer Grey—has gone missing. He was warned not to mess with the entity, but he wanted answers…and a way to remove the Mark that now burned into his own flesh.

On the third anniversary of Spencer's 'death', Elle—his ex-girlfriend—only wanted to pay her respects and heal. But in the shadows of that quiet cemetery, she heard the voice. Spencer's voice.

Now Marked herself, Elle is paired with Billy, Spencer's gruff and quiet former partner, and determined to uncover the truth behind Spencer's disappearance. But the past is not as dead as it seems, and Elle's time is running out. Tangled in a dangerous web, she has to find a way to free Spencer...even if it means offering her own life in return.

LambroseWrites Wrote: MARKED #1 - Broken By Shadows
A pair of hikers removed a haunted statue from a remote cave and were tormented by a terrifying entity. Even after returning it, their bodies turned up in the middle of the Kaaterskil Mountains, bound, withered, and Marked. The event was swept under the rug by INDoS and M3—the International Division of the Supernatural, and their core team of investigative agents.

Now one of their own—a young but prodigious agent named Spencer Grey—has gone missing. He was warned not to mess with the entity, but he wanted answers…and a way to remove the Mark that now burned into his own flesh.

On the third anniversary of Spencer's 'death', Elle—his ex-girlfriend—only wanted to pay her respects and heal. But in the shadows of that quiet cemetery, she heard the voice. Spencer's voice.

Now Marked herself, Elle is paired with Billy, Spencer's gruff and quiet former partner, and determined to uncover the truth behind Spencer's disappearance. But the past is not as dead as it seems, and Elle's time is running out. Tangled in a dangerous web, she has to find a way to free Spencer...even if it means offering her own life in return.

Oh. I missed this because it was embedded in my quote. Curse you, Royal Road BBCode! 

First off, and for general knowledge, blurbs are alwys written in the present tense, using an active voice. Another good point to remember is that made-up words and unique names are best kept at a minimum.  Save your precious word count for explaining your story -- not for explaining what INDoS means. 

Also, who is the MC of your story? The hikers? Spencer Grey? Elle? Billy? It seems like it is Elle, but she barely gets mentioned more than twice -- as the girlfriend of a guy whose death is in quotes.

Let's assume the MC is Elle. Let's also assume that, although the hikers are dead, Spencer is not. We will further assume that, because people who get marked by the entity end up dead for some reason, Elle is fated to die. Finally, we will assume that although the hikers are dead for sure, the plot of the story is to appease or trick or defeat the entity, and thus Spencer is saved and Elle does not die. 

As you may now have noticed, your blurb as it stands is unclear. What is the goal? What is the conflict? Who is the MC? And most important of all, why should we care? A good place to start when explaining your story is to fill in the blanks to this sentence: 

CHARACTER has to GOAL, but CONFLICT stands in the way. ELLE has to SAVE HER BOYFRIEND, but A CURSE stands in the way.

Next let's look at how the CHARACTER must overcome the CONFLICT in order to achieve the GOAL.

To remove the curse that imprisons her boyfriend, ELLE must defeat the entity that haunts a statue.

Okay! Now the stakes must be high. If all it takes is a 'Pretty please, Mister' from Elle to get the entity to relent, we woudn't have much of a story.

Elle offers her own life in exchange for the life of the man she loves.

Now take heart if the nuance of everything I've assumed here is not complete. We are distilling many thousands of words of your story down to a few simple statements. If the single word YES or NO answer to any of these questions is NO, then we will need to make corrections.

Is Elle the MC?
Is the plot for Elle to save Spencer?
Must the entity be defeated?

Otherwise, here is your blurb.

Agent Spencer Grey, from the International Division of the Supernatural, has gone missing. He was warned not to mess with the entity haunting a statue that led to the death of two hikers, an event he'd been told to ignore. Their bodies turned up withered and bound, marked by an evil curse.

But Spencer had been marked by this curse as well, and he wanted answers. Now, on the anniversary of his disappearance, his girlfriend Elle LAST NAME is paying her respects. She swears she hears his voice -- Spencer's voice. She's determined to unearth the mystery that led to Spencer's disappearance, and the loss of the one she loves.  With the help of Spencer's former partner, Billy LAST NAME, Elle untangles a dangerous web, where the past is not as dead as it seems.

How's that? ❤🦆😸🐰❤