Re: IQ overrated for writing ability because of online editing services?

I don't think IQ is an accurate measure of intelligence. Intelligence takes so many forms that I don't think you can easily quantify it. Many people associate being a genius with knowing a lot of math and science, but there's so much more. Artists, writers, builders, and so many more have there own form of genius which has nothing to do with IQ. I say don't worry about it. Just write and enjoy yourself. 

I see people are insisting IQ doesn't measure intelligence.

It might not measure ALL forms of intelligence, but it absolutely does impact your writing ability. Consider how important pattern recognition (which IQ reliably measures) is to the editing process: Finding inconsistencies, finding contradicting elements, grammar and formatting etc. The ability to do these things correctly is definitely influenced by IQ.

splattenburgers Wrote: I see people are insisting IQ doesn't measure intelligence.

It might not measure ALL forms of intelligence, but it absolutely does impact your writing ability. Consider how important pattern recognition (which IQ reliably measures) is to the editing process: Finding inconsistencies, finding contradicting elements, grammar and formatting etc. The ability to do these things correctly is definitely influenced by IQ.

Yeah, but it's far from the only thing that will decide if someone writes well. 

IQ has nothing to do with imagination or creativity. It won't help with keeping your writing on point. It won't help you write a good end. It can in some cases help with the grammar (though English is just really inconsistent in grammar so while I wholeheartedly agree that this is a thing in other languages, I'm less convinved about English because sometimes it feels like it's got more exeptions than rules), but if someone have an intelligence specializing in/focused on a high IQ, chances are they are lacking something else that would've been just as important. IQ is just ONE advantage someone can have in creative writing. It's not the only one, or even necessarily the best one to have. 

But, for someone who really does have trouble writing with good grammar, I'd hazard a guess and say that a bigger gamechanger might be dictation (aka, a program that converts speech into writing). It's definitely true that technology is making writing a lot easier for some people with disabilities and dictation is super awesome for a lot of people who struggle with everything from writing correct grammar to arthritis. I'm super excited about that!

Also worth noting: I have found high IQ people tend to be messed up in one way or another. At the very least there is a high proportion of bad eyesight and mental health/socialization disorders. There is a tradeoff to being at the extreme of any physical attribute -- much like the physical blessed athlete who tends to tear their ligaments more easily because of how strong and fast their muscles are.

There is no such thing as an all upside gift. It is always a matter of tradeoffs. Just from the time I spent talking to other Mensans a theme of alienation and hostility from society came up almost universally. Being too different is rarely a good thing as far as society is concerned. It is even worse if you come from "the wrong side of the tracks" like I did. If you come from a "good family" of doctors or lawyers they might have a better idea of how to handle you. If you come from blue-collar working class types they just treat you like a freak. When they found out I was high IQ instead of sending me to advanced classes they put me in with the learning disabilities crowd in order to keep me away from the gifted kids from "good families". I dropped out for a reason.

I think the best thing to do is to try to lean into your personal strengths and minimize the impact of your personal weaknesses. Worrying about what other people have or don't have is a waste of energy.

Half Wrote: Also worth noting: I have found high IQ people tend to be messed up in one way or another. At the very least there is a high proportion of bad eyesight and mental health/socialization disorders. There is a tradeoff to being at the extreme of any physical attribute -- much like the physical blessed athlete who tends to tear their ligaments more easily because of how strong and fast their muscles are.

There is no such thing as an all upside gift. It is always a matter of tradeoffs. Just from the time I spent talking to other Mensans a theme of alienation and hostility from society came up almost universally. Being too different is rarely a good thing as far as society is concerned. It is even worse if you come from "the wrong side of the tracks" like I did. If you come from a "good family" of doctors or lawyers they might have a better idea of how to handle you. If you come from blue-collar working class types they just treat you like a freak. When they found out I was high IQ instead of sending me to advanced classes they put me in with the learning disabilities crowd in order to keep me away from the gifted kids from "good families". I dropped out for a reason.

I think the best thing to do is to try to lean into your personal strengths and minimize the impact of your personal weaknesses. Worrying about what other people have or don't have is a waste of energy.

lol aren't east-Asians suppose to be like hyper-competitive? It seems odd that your parent's wouldn't have supported you because of your special talents.

I didn't know IQ mattered that much in writing. I mean it doesn't really affect your ability to imagine stories. And if you're not a prose centric writer, I doubt it matters much to your writing style either. As for good grammar skills, I think, from a writing perspective, it's better to have them instead of relying on online editors(because even online editors might suggest edits that would make your story worse as a whole and if you have a better grasp of the language, you'd just have more creative control over the thing), but I also think if you have the drive to improve that'll come naturally...

For me, I naturally also wish I had a higher IQ because I want to be able to write better prose. Impressive prose. I want to have an extensive vocabulary and an ability to use them properly. And also, I want them as soon as possible. But I also realize I could improve my prose, my vocabulary, my grammar, and all other aspects of writing with time and hard work. It'd take a heck of a lot of those, but as long as you don't give up and keep at it, I don't see why IQ should matter...

To be clear, I'm not East Asian. I'm a mutt mix of Native American, Irish, German and Italian. Most of my family was poor working class -- there was times we needed food stamps and lived off the welfare fake Velveta cheese and dried skim milk. Most of my family worked in construction, or related fields (like Roto-Rooter or welding) and generally had little use for intellectual pursuits, viewing the educated mostly as snobby elites. There were few (but notable) exceptions, like a college professor cousin who had a triple PHD (last time checked). She was also an outsider in the family, and mostly stayed far away as a result of not fitting in.

Anyway, my home life was not the healthiest. And there is a very good reason I got out of there when I was 15. The school system was not wrong about me being from "the wrong side of the tracks". For all I know, I may very well have disrupted the education of the more genteel gifted kids had I been put into the proper classes. We'll never know.

That all happened a long time ago, and I'm satisfied with where and who I am now. But it is worth noting that my story is not particularly rare to hear in Mensa. Having a high IQ doesn't make everything all sunshine and rainbows -- in many ways it creates just as many problems as it potentially solves. For instance romance is tough, particularly for women, who sometimes find it hard to be seen as more intelligent than their male partner (fragile male egos are a bitch to deal with).