Re: Worst Job

We all at some point have thought of our dream Jobs, The jobs that we want.
But what is a job you would under all circumstances never want?
I.E, for me I would never want to be a pop star, It's too much stress and being famous is sh*t.
You would have people trying to find out your address or credit card number. They would harass you. The paparazzi would constantly wait outside your house for a scoop. Everything you do is scrutinized by the public. Sure some people might sympathise with you, at least until they click on the next video. The internet is ruthless, and everybody on here is in a constant bid for entertainment, you cant hold their attention, you are forgotten. You want some privacy, well the tabloids are waiting out your door to barrage you with microphones and ask a ton of questions. Sure there are +'s to being a pop star, but the negatives for me heavily outweigh them. And this is only for the popular ones, most entertainers or internet personality spend their whole careers trying to break even, get their name out there, eventually fading into obscurity. That, at least for me, sounds like a living hell.
So no thank you.

I once had a gig at a farm, and there was a little hunting butchery. I was tasked one day with dumping all the entrails, bones and such in the Pit of Dead Things.

It was summer. You guess what happened. I don't mind smelly farm jobs in general but holy shit, old stomach content smells

A bit shocked at some of the answers. XD There are some really really horrible jobs out there, so a lot of them swimming in my mind. There are many that people do when they have no other choice. I won't be able to do any of those, unless my survival depends on it. So I don't know. I think cleaning up an actual morgue is up there, but I can think of ten other jobs which are much worse. 

I've worked in a slaughter house as a summer job to pay for my studies. 

It was a nightmare. It stinks of blood, shit and death, you spend your day cuting through animals, more or less awake and conscious (sometime the shockgun doesn't stun them as good as it should)

At the end of the day you are covered in blood and it manages to seep through your apron, gloves, protection. Your socks are damp with a mix of blood, plasma and whatever other liquids were there. You take 3 showers back home but the smells sticks to you and you keep dreaming about it at night when you are stuck slaughtering beasts in your sleep. 

At least it paid really well. But never would i do it again. 

Ramingo Wrote: Anything to do with bugs of the non-coding variety.  DrakanSigh

I worked for a beekeeper for a few years, until I started developing an allergy to all the stings. Can't say I recommend that job for anyone who doesn't like insects. Though, I think working with pest control chemicals would also be quite dangerous, due to the long-term health effects of many harsh chemicals.

Side note regarding pest control companies. It's quite a racket they have going, where they convince homeowners to spray for spiders. Killing the natural competition ensures the pest control company will be needed to keep actual pests in check. I know many people aren't fond of spiders, but they cause very few medically significant bites. Especially so when you compare their impact upon human health versus that of the mosquito, or flies. Vectors of disease are far more dangerous, but people freak out over spiders while they simply get annoyed with mosquitoes. (Mosquitoes kill more people worldwide than any other multicellular organism via disease transmission.) Perception is a big part of it.

My first job was working at a material recovery facility for a sanitation company. I stood with others on a picking line, pulling recyclables out of household, commercial, and industrial trash. Two summers I worked this job, often in 110F+ heat inside a building with no air conditioning. We wore coveralls, steel toed boots, kevlar armbands, heavy gloves, hard hats, safety glasses, safety vests, and earplugs. We had to watch for improperly disposed hypodermic needles all the time, and a few of my co-workers got stabbed by them. Luckily, none of them tested HIV positive... but it was a constant threat while digging through garbage with your hands. You don't want to know about many of the things I saw, which had been thrown away. Humans can be disgusting creatures. XD

Working around the heavy equipment (Loader, skid loader, forklifts, conveyor belts, baling machine) wasn't nearly as bad as the smell, and the health hazards. Masks were provided, but nobody wore them because with all the physical labor it was impossible to get enough oxygen in the heat. In addition to the picking line, we hoisted large appliances, heavy pieces of wood (railroad ties, sections of telephone poles which had been cut, etc.), and cardboard into 8-foot tall bins by hand. We dealt with keeping the floor clear by raking and sweeping trash onto the conveyor belt which fed the huge baler.

But the absolute worst part of this job was Sundays. If you were not full-time permanent and were told to work Sunday, you went in the pit beneath the baling machine's conveyor. Hip waders and long rubber gloves provided little protection from the stench, the rats, and the sight of maggots climbing the humid concrete walls while you waded through three feet of garbage mud. The point was to use a special pump to remove enough of the mud from the pit to allow the next week to continue without risking overflow. The garbage mud was pumped into a special sewer, and the operator had to be at the nozzle end, in the pit, to prevent and/or remove clogs. This operation took around 6 hours on average. And there was always a much-worse smelling spot, right at the corner where the loader operator always pushed the garbage onto the conveyor to be baled. That spot had garbage dust, which for some reason was always the most awful smelling thing ever.

Near the end of my 2nd Summer there, an industrial company dumped a chemical insulating dust called Therm-Tec. This nasty substance floated throughout the building, bypassing safety glasses and we all ended up with terrible eye infections. Mine actually altered my vision, taking me from 20/15 in both eyes down to 20/60 and 20/80. Wasn't very happy about that, and of course the industrial company weaseled their way out of the ensuing lawsuit by having more expensive lawyers. We were left holding the bill for our own medical care, and half of us suffered a reduction in visual acuity.

Anyone interested in working this kind of job? I'm not. XD

I agree on a whole lot with the whole not wanting to work with blood or dead bodies, no matter what the story's say, It is never easy to get used to ending somethings life (except for insects, those things can go to hell) or the smell of blood. 
I don't exactly freak out when I see an insect, my house used has a problem in the winters of stink bugs getting into the house to stay warm so I kinda got used to seeing bugs, but I despise any bugs getting near me. Especially if they can move fast or fly. That sh*t is f*cking scary.
Moderation is a hard job, especially since a lot of people on the internet are pieces of sh*t because there is a sense of anonymity and the fact that they feel disconnected from what they say since they don't see the other person face or reaction. It's also hard to account for everything.
This is under the assumption that @wing and @kanas job is moderation, because if not then I have no fucking clue.
Also @Maximumcat that sounds like it fucking sucks. Especially with the threat of HIV looming over your head those hard conditions becoming even worse. I hope you get a better job because those 2 summer jobs are hell. Why does there seem to be a theme of sh*tty summer jobs, do summer jobs just f*cking suck?

I've got one more!

Working at a large, prestigious opera house as a new chorus member. The pay is excellent, because they are union jobs. However, many of the people I worked with were among the absolute worst human beings I've ever met.

Many of those people work very hard to derail your career, and I mean many of them - around 50% or more. I was lucky to be informed of this aspect of things prior to taking the job. However, it doesn't help too much when some of those seeking to mess with the careers of others do it just for kicks, and are good friends with the chorus master... the man who holds absolute power over your ability to work unless you're tenured with the union. These people see it as a game... and they loathe the idea of the chorus eventually becoming a healthy work environment, because that would take away their fun. Therefore, the better-adjusted and easier to work with you were, the harder they'd try to mess with you and get you fired. Many lies were told about new people by these old, toxic chorus members. I'm talking about people in their 50s through their 70s, many of whom had been with the opera chorus as tenured members for 20-40 years.

I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of thing exists at a large scale in many other work environments. But I've never experienced such a flood of toxicity anywhere else in my 27 years of working many various jobs in addition to my primary career as an opera singer who performs lead and character roles. The higher up the food chain you go, the worse singers become with their attitudes, in general. There are some decent folks who are able to remain, if they are so good at what they do, they will never be fired because they are essential. However, though I was offered a position the following year, I chose to return to singing roles in smaller opera houses. I'd rather deal with less pay than constantly be in a work environment with so many vultures.

MaximumCat Wrote: My first job was working at a material recovery facility for a sanitation company. I stood with others on a picking line, pulling recyclables out of household, commercial, and industrial trash. Two summers I worked this job, often in 110F+ heat inside a building with no air conditioning. We wore coveralls, steel toed boots, kevlar armbands, heavy gloves, hard hats, safety glasses, safety vests, and earplugs. We had to watch for improperly disposed hypodermic needles all the time, and a few of my co-workers got stabbed by them. Luckily, none of them tested HIV positive... but it was a constant threat while digging through garbage with your hands. You don't want to know about many of the things I saw, which had been thrown away. Humans can be disgusting creatures. XD

I've done that job at a recycling line (pulling recyclables from trash on the picking line). Seconding everything you said, and adding the weird motion sickness that comes with standing in place while streams of trash pass by you.

People do throw away the darnest things... including new-looking clothing with money inside. That was a nice bonus.

Edit: On reread I wanted to clarify that I would take the money, not the clothing!

Retail is the worst. In my younger days I worked for Safeway, Wal Mart, Fred Meyer, Future Shop, and Sleep Train. The best was Sleep Train because it was easy to make management and I didn't have to be on my feet all day. The worst was Wal Mart because they treat their people like garbage and pay poverty wages. I feel that all the years I spent working those crap jobs were just a big waste of my time on Earth.

Pretty sure the worst job right now is in covid care in a place that's not equipped enough. 

I'm going to take a guess and assume that there are people whose entire job right now is to call family members and break the bad news that their loved one died. Over and over, all day long. And remind them they can't come see the body. And might not be able to hold a funeral. Not sure if that's better or worse than being on the floor, but there can't be too many good jobs there right now.