Re: Likes/Dislikes of reviews out of sync with story reception? (How to handle things mentally)

This will probably comes off as whining as my story is doing well right now as far as metrics go, but it's starting to bum me out. Essentially - I've gotten overall positive feedback on my story, from ratings to personal comments sent to me ect. And 90% of the reviews left for my story are positive.

The thing is that I guess my story is divisive among certain people, because all the positive reviews of my story are getting downvoted, while the several negative reviews are lightning rods for Likes. It kind of sucks when someone takes the time out of their day to leave a nicely positive review of my story, and I check the next day and it's already getting downvoted. Meanwhile, the negative reviews are filtering their way to the top of the Review page, crowding out everything else. This is also partially extending to the comments on the chapters - there's been a fairly large influx of negativity the last few days. I guess it comes with the territory of more people reading, but yeah.

I know this isn't something people can 'Assist' with, per se, but any tips on handling it mentally would be appreciated. It's kind of getting me down. 

Re: Likes/Dislikes of reviews out of sync with story reception? (How to handle things mentally)

EDIT: Please take this answer with a grain of salt.

Interesting observation. I will say that I'm following your story so there might be certain bias in this response and I'm not a writer, so I can't really say how to handle it. But I do have a tip for you. I might be completely off mark. I recommend you waiting until someone wiser comes and gives an answer.

You should consider giving some kind of warning about certain aspects your story covers. Either in a blurb or give the story a Grimdark tag. Or both. Your story handles some heavy and dark topics and readers might find them unprepared. Readers might expect your average isekai with strong MC where everything goes well, until certain things about the word are revealed. I wouldn't be surprised that someone drops the story and goes on downvoting streak. I'm not saying something like that is right, but I can see it happening.

Again, I have no idea how would be the effect if you decided to have some kind of warning. People might do it anyway and maybe it will not help at all. It will cost you readers that want story with awesome MC in a more light-hearted world, and will drop the story after reading a blurb. But it might stop someone who expects something very different from getting to the dark part, downvoting every good review in sight and leaving.

Edit: changed wording of few things.

Honestly, your reviews aren't that bad. 

Even the most negative one's.. they're vanilla asf. Heck, most of them are complimenting aspects of your story and giving you meaningful advice. People don't do this if they're not at least somewhat invested or interested in your story. 

Not to sound insensitive, but I think you should take all this in stride. For a first time author (which you seem to be) you've had a fantastic reception, and at the same time, this isn't your end all be all. View this from a growth mindset, rather than a fixed. Treat this as a stepping stone, not your life's masterpiece, and you'll be fine. 

Alternatively, you could abandon the spud for a cat pic. People like cats, you know? 

Artim Wrote: You should consider giving some kind of warning about certain aspects your story covers. Either in a blurb or give the story a Grimdark tag. Or both.
This is a good idea. I'm going to be honest and say that I've very recently learned that my perception of what's grimdark is very different from others!

Fuchsia Wrote: Honestly, your reviews aren't that bad. 

Even the most negative one's.. they're vanilla asf. Heck, most of them are complimenting aspects of your story and giving you meaningful advice. People don't do this if they're not at least somewhat invested or interested in your story. 

Not to sound insensitive, but I think you should take all this in stride. For a first time author (which you seem to be) you've had a fantastic reception, and at the same time, this isn't your end all be all. View this from a growth mindset, rather than a fixed. Treat this as a stepping stone, not your life's masterpiece, and you'll be fine. 

Alternatively, you could abandon the spud for a cat pic. People like cats, you know?
Wasn't insensitive, this actually helped a lot. I can have an obsession with making things 'perfect' so it was good to get a reminder to chillax. The potato is non-negotiable though. It's my brand ™.

Seerica Wrote: Honestly, the biggest complaints I saw from the reviews are that the story changes its tone a lot as time goes on. As for dealing with it, maybe note the interest of your audience for lighthearted stories for the future, and shelve that statistic until the next story.
Also something for me to keep in mind.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys! It's appreciated.

Um is your story subtitled "Is 'Insanity' A Racial Trait"? I am 100% sure you meant it as something to provoke people and I am all for it. It is one of our responsibilities as authors to provoke people . But, I would expect some divisiveness based solely on that tagline. Hopefully, you have written a story that does justice to the racial issues and inequities of the real world. 
peoapproval

KamikazePotato Wrote: This will probably comes off as whining as my story is doing well right now as far as metrics go, but it's starting to bum me out. Essentially - I've gotten overall positive feedback on my story, from ratings to personal comments sent to me ect. And 90% of the reviews left for my story are positive.

The thing is that I guess my story is divisive among certain people, because all the positive reviews of my story are getting downvoted, while the several negative reviews are lightning rods for Likes. It kind of sucks when someone takes the time out of their day to leave a nicely positive review of my story, and I check the next day and it's already getting downvoted. Meanwhile, the negative reviews are filtering their way to the top of the Review page, crowding out everything else. This is also partially extending to the comments on the chapters - there's been a fairly large influx of negativity the last few days. I guess it comes with the territory of more people reading, but yeah.

I know this isn't something people can 'Assist' with, per se, but any tips on handling it mentally would be appreciated. It's kind of getting me down.
My only advice is detract yourself from your work. Separate who you are as a person from your work. Often times we tend to take bad reviews personally, and often times it's not meant to be personal. It's just a review of our work which they didn't like. Writing is a form of art and art is subjective at it's core.

I mean this in all honesty, grab a coffee, grab a muffin or donut and watch something you enjoy. Obviously you don't actually need to do that but you get the point. Get yourself away from the negativity and close it out. Work on your fiction and enjoy telling your story without worrying so much about the negative reviews. Not everyone is going to like your story, and that's just a simple fact.

By the way, congratulations on 300k reads, what an impressive achievement. Regardless of what people say, you should be proud  DrakanPat

So, I have been reading your story since I found it a few weeks ago. I want to be upfront and establish that I do not agree with those reviews and that they are inherently flawed.  For me, your story has been fun, interesting and engaging. I have a floating rating on it of 4.5 atm. There are some flaws, but the story is solid and enjoyable. I mean, I wouldn't be recommending it to friends and family if didn't think so.

Something I like to do is follow through peoples accounts and look at other reviews that those people leave for other fictions. It gives a baseline to work with in whether their opinion is worth listening to or not. It really provides an interesting perspective on what to internalize and what to reject. What it usually boils down to, is that Person X has a personal belief on what subject Y should be and categorically refuses any alteration or attempt at subversion. All halflings must be hobbits! vs Hobbits are a variation of Halfing.

Criticisms on grammar, punctuation, spelling. These have absolutes that you can follow. Everything else is purely interpretive and subjective. Tell your story, not theirs.