Re: Opinions on my fiction's cover

Hello there! I would like to know if my cover leaves a good impression and encourages you to read the story. To be clear, I have only made the metallic effect. All the elements used in the cover were created by other people, but their licenses are free for personal and commercial projects as long as you credit the creators (you can see the credits at the end of my fiction's description).

Here's a better view: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JDJdwpeG3xer9yv4YRNMqViG_Z9DKuxX/view?usp=sharing

Edit: I made some adjustments to the cover after reading the comments below. I hope this new version has legible text.
Here's what I came up with: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zqWuaQIHYacpDGshYrRGeGuLvtwfOx6J/view?usp=sharing

It's shiny.

No, seriously.  The overall vibe/design come off well, if a bit militaristic? Like, without looking at the synopsis, it definitely screams physical conflict, probably on a large scale. (Reading the synopsis, that was bang on, though post-apocalyptic isn't exactly the vibe I get from the cover.)

That said, I would definitely rework the font.  On this small version in your signature, the "Ereborus" is illegible and the "Schratze" is difficult to read.  On the bigger version on your main page for your fiction on desktop, the "Schratze" is easy to read, but the "Ereborus" is still very difficult to read.

Few simple things that will improve this design.

First, make the main logo smaller, it's too big. resize it down by like 10%.
Second, copy the bottom text font onto the top text for improved legibility.
Third, downsize both texts by 15%
Fourth, add a simple pattern to the red background and make the opacity 40% - 60% just optically work on it until it looks good.

That's all. Great initial concept. I like it.

luda305 Wrote: It's shiny.

No, seriously.  The overall vibe/design come off well, if a bit militaristic? Like, without looking at the synopsis, it definitely screams physical conflict, probably on a large scale. (Reading the synopsis, that was bang on, though post-apocalyptic isn't exactly the vibe I get from the cover.)

That said, I would definitely rework the font.  On this small version in your signature, the "Ereborus" is illegible and the "Schratze" is difficult to read.  On the bigger version on your main page for your fiction on desktop, the "Schratze" is easy to read, but the "Ereborus" is still very difficult to read.
 Thanks for the feedback! I also had doubts about the legibility of the text. Maybe I should change the metallic effect and try to make it more easier to read. Yes, there will be physical conflict but on a smaller scale. The cover was based on the idea of a medieval tome that shouldn't be opened, with the frame as a cage to keep the content of the book at bay.

AeroKaia Wrote: Few simple things that will improve this design.

First, make the main logo smaller, it's too big. resize it down by like 10%.
Second, copy the bottom text font onto the top text for improved legibility.
Third, downsize both texts by 15%
Fourth, add a simple pattern to the red background and make the opacity 40% - 60% just optically work on it until it looks good.

That's all. Great initial concept. I like it.
Thank you for the tips! To be honest, the font used is the same for both texts. I think the problem lies in the metallic effect I applied. I'll try to make it more legible. I thought the background was too plain, but I hadn't thought about adding a pattern (maybe one with a lighter version of the color used in the background would be perfect). I'll work on the other suggestions too as soon as I can.

parkertallan Wrote: A well done cover. I agree that the font should be resized to better fit on the cover. Also I'd consider brightening the font slightly to make it easier to read. The first impression I got when seeing the cover was ancient Rome.
Yeah, the text is the problem. Maybe I will remove the metallic effect on it or find another solution. The font is called Roman Sd so I can understand the impression of Ancient Rome.