Re: The most negative feedback you’ve ever received

I don’t think I have ever really received any sorta of harsh feedback. That or I am completely oblivious, if I feel someone is trying to cause a scene, I just delete the comment, and forget about it. If they have valuable feedback, I read and keep it, simple as that. However, I suppose I did get a weird one. Someone I have never met once, or even an acquaintance, just a random.

They said,

“Sorry, not my cup of tea.”

It was just random, I kept it in, since it was understandable as well. I just thanked them for their time, and continued on. Not sure if they were trying to discourage me or not. If they were, they did a pretty poor job. I ended up improving my work, and continuously pushing out more content.

AlexaLee Wrote:
akry Wrote: They told me to KYS. (on fanfiction.net)

I checked my email two years after they sent the review so it lost its effect.

Oof what?? What about your writing did they hate so much that it caused this??

I wrote a trollfic. xD

FFN seems to have more trolls than any other writing site because the admins don't deal with reports and don't provide an option to disable anonymous reviews so people can suicide bait on and off anon without repercussion or a way to prevent it. People who write trollfic or really nasty stuff seem to get the blunt of those messages.

How I have not seen this thread until now??? I have to take part in it!

Admittedly, I don't have much experience posting stories. This is my first real attempt at writing anything for public consumption, and although I do have one short story published in a book which I'm fairly confident was only ever purchased by friends and family of the authors, I've never been in a position to receive real criticism until I got here.

So my personal winner would be:

Ok, I am dropping the story becuse its increasing my [Blood Pressure]. I simply cannot get over folks talking about massive life-threatening secrets REPEATEDLY without taking [Elementary Safety Precautions].
In this case, they are in the F**king Spawn Area described as a [Hub of Activity].
Why. Are. You. Making. Your. Characters. Retarded ???

At the time, I felt equally as dumb as he insisted my characters were acting because I couldn't see the mistakes. I obsessed over it and tried to argue the other side until another commentator pointed out that I was using author knowledge to excuse current behavior. I was basically looking at the big picture too much, and even though I wanted the characters to make a stupid mistake due to exhaustion, I had gone way past it and made their mistakes go from merely blundering into willful stupidity. 

I've since fixed it. At least, I hope I did, but I don't think that reader will ever come back and re-read my story to tell me if it no longer affects his blood pressure :P 

Patrick Wrote: How I have not seen this thread until now??? I have to take part in it!

Admittedly, I don't have much experience posting stories. This is my first real attempt at writing anything for public consumption, and although I do have one short story published in a book which I'm fairly confident was only ever purchased by friends and family of the authors, I've never been in a position to receive real criticism until I got here.

So my personal winner would be:

Ok, I am dropping the story becuse its increasing my [Blood Pressure]. I simply cannot get over folks talking about massive life-threatening secrets REPEATEDLY without taking [Elementary Safety Precautions].
In this case, they are in the F**king Spawn Area described as a [Hub of Activity].
Why. Are. You. Making. Your. Characters. Retarded ???

At the time, I felt equally as dumb as he insisted my characters were acting because I couldn't see the mistakes. I obsessed over it and tried to argue the other side until another commentator pointed out that I was using author knowledge to excuse current behavior. I was basically looking at the big picture too much, and even though I wanted the characters to make a stupid mistake due to exhaustion, I had gone way past it and made their mistakes go from merely blundering into willful stupidity. 

I've since fixed it. At least, I hope I did, but I don't think that reader will ever come back and re-read my story to tell me if it no longer affects his blood pressure :P

Thing is, it is best to not reply in cases like those. You see, since you know when something is gonna happen, just gotta wait it out. If readers don’t have the patience, they are not part of the audience the book is meant for. There are times when even I know what the reader is looking for, but I don’t say a thing. Since, if they don’t have the patience to read, then I will not try. If readers are confused, it is likely they have been skimming. Sometimes, I end up pointing out previously what they read in order for them to currently understand. Other times, I don’t even bother. 

No point in arguing with commenters. In my experience, many of them are going to be impatient. My job is simply finding those that are in my base, no more, no less. 🐕

Edge Wrote: Thing is, it is best to not reply in cases like those. You see, since you know when something is gonna happen, just gotta wait it out. If readers don’t have the patience, they are not part of the audience the book is meant for. There are times when even I know what the reader is looking for, but I don’t say a thing. Since, if they don’t have the patience to read, then I will not try. If readers are confused, it is likely they have been skimming. Sometimes, I end up pointing out previously what they read in order for them to currently understand. Other times, I don’t even bother. 

No point in arguing with commenters. In my experience, many of them are going to be impatient. My job is simply finding those that are in my base, no more, no less. 🐕

Yeah, can't argue with that, but some lessons need to be experienced first hand. I was in reaction mode at that point, although overall I think it did improve my book so I am grateful for the experience :)

Patrick Wrote:
Edge Wrote: Thing is, it is best to not reply in cases like those. You see, since you know when something is gonna happen, just gotta wait it out. If readers don’t have the patience, they are not part of the audience the book is meant for. There are times when even I know what the reader is looking for, but I don’t say a thing. Since, if they don’t have the patience to read, then I will not try. If readers are confused, it is likely they have been skimming. Sometimes, I end up pointing out previously what they read in order for them to currently understand. Other times, I don’t even bother. 

Yeah, can't argue with that, but some lessons need to be experienced first hand. I was in reaction mode at that point, although overall I think it did improve my book so I am grateful for the experience :)

Lol

I think we all start off in reaction mode, until we finally realize. Just ignore it. 😂

Patrick Wrote: That's true! Maybe I should put a warning label... :P

I absolutely think you should. Honestly, wear that like a badge of honour. Your writing impacted someone that much! It really says something about your writing skill and ability. Even if it was due to the character making too many mistakes and you've now fixed it, you still wrote characters that the reader was obviously completely invested in and that they cared about so passionately that it raised their blood pressure!!

(Is it wrong that I dream of the day where this happens to me as an author?)