Re: The most negative feedback you’ve ever received

OwlishIntergalactic Wrote: So, I was thirteen-years-old and had just gotten my own computer at home when I'd learned about the magical world of fanfiction in ye-olde chatrooms.

Oh my god. The way that posting my early fan fiction online was crucial for my character development. It was through hell and high waters that I learned how to cope. I really was jaded by 14 peolaughing

AlexaLee Wrote:
MarekSusicky Wrote:
AlexaLee Wrote: Oh what the hell? That’s so so rough???

Yeah, it was some ten to fifteen years ago when I was starting ^^ The internet was wild west, dangerous place.  peopanic

That’s still so mean though?? It is a wild and cruel place!

Oh, it's NOTHING compared to how it was back in the early 2000's and late 1990's.

Trust me, simple memes from back then would get you banned off of any site nowadays.

You know that you've been on the internet a long time if "Is that a wedding ring on his hand?" makes sense to you.

And you can remember where you were the first time you asked yourself that.

MarekSusicky Wrote:
AlexaLee Wrote: That’s still so mean though?? It is a wild and cruel place!

Uhm, yeah. I think total anonymity can lead to that though, people tend to be cruel, or they can just talk like that in school rl and don't think about consequences of their words.

Fully agree! Being able to hide behind the internet (even when it isn’t fully anonymous) mean people can be crueler. 

I’m glad you kept writing though!!

MarekSusicky Wrote: Yeah, it is in our souls. We can feel the tingling. The inspiration, the intangible nudging in our minds where our characters live, where they demands to be let out a live despite all the negative critics. We can't deny them that, can we? 

...or it is just me?

It is not just you. My characters and stories are too loud and distracting for me to be able to ignore them! The stories will find their way out. 

Darrin Wrote: That should be a separate thread. How do you write about fantasy cultures that are real-world analogues without being accused of cultural appropriation and racism?

By looking the person sniveling about Cultural Appropriation dead in the eye and saying these magic words;

"Get bent, fuck-o." and never giving them anything but mocking and derision.

And NEVER EVER apologize to them. Not ever.

You apologize, it's blood in the water and you're the chick from the opening scene of Jaws.

And if someone who represents you apologizes, get rid of them. Don't have anyone willing to bend the knee working with you or for you.

The exchange of ideas, technologies, and other things led to cultures growing and evolving.

Anyone taking the time to bitch about cultural appropriation can sit and spin on a road sign.

Ralts Wrote: "Get bent, fuck-o." and never giving them anything but mocking and derision.

This. A lot of my worldbuilding lifts directly from native american mythology in much the same way real MMORPGs lift shallowly from real world mythologies.

Mostly because I'm a lazy worldbuilder, but there is an in-universe explanation for it (the AI that translates all of Gaea and Earth's languages for the players and NPCs to understand each other used local mythologies as the basis for naming things that don't necessarily have a translatable name, like monsters and demons). So it would be implied that the south american, australian, european, and asian servers would use their local mythologies to name things.

Couple reviews on this site probably, or maybe some of the comments. Often, they are at least reasonably accurate to things that I could improve, but the ones that stand out are the ones that shred the entire chapter or story for singular things they disliked. They're probably still up on the initial version of my current story, and they still kinda bug me. I had one person say more or less the entire story was trash and should be dropped. 

I've also had a few that more or less said, "Why did he do x when he should have done y" in one chapter, and then when the character does y a few chapters later, they criticize the character for not "sticking to their principles" more or less. Those aren't as bad, but they are really frustrating to read. 

Truthfully, super disheartening to read/hear but I expected it coming in, so not too bad yet. At least it gives me ideas what to improve. 

The harshest criticism I got was when someone said my story was "like a visual novel without pictures" or that time someone compared it to "a Marvel movie with more emotions."

Kidding.

The closest I ever got to harsh criticism was from a prolific(?) reviewer on RoyalRoad who read over my story after I discussed whether or not I should pursue monetization. It wasn't mean spirited or anything, and he actually did give me quite a few pointers and some compliments along the way.

They ultimately dropped it by the ninth chapter, although their reasons for it seemed to be sort of misunderstandings for what the story was supposed to be. They seemed to believe that it was a straight romance story, but it's not the focus of the story at all. I don't exactly blame them, it just wasn't a story that they were into, I suppose. I got a lot from their advice, and it helped me feel more confident in my writing.

I think the only thing about it that sorta ticked me off was a comparison to Yuri stories, which isn't what I was going for at all. They did say they might've been assuming things since they didn't finish the story, so water under the bridge. I just have this sensitivity to having my story reduced to "that story where two girls kiss" when it's supposed to be more than that.

I can't exactly defend myself too much, my writing is still definitely amateur, and I don't think I'm ever going to be a "great writer". I just feel satisfied with what I've done so far and I have a lot of fun doing it. Getting pointers and critique like a real artist like like... 50% of the fun involved, so I don't think I'll ever get mad over critique.

...now that I've posted this, I'm gonna get someone writing something super super harsh under my story, huh? Like a hazing ritual or something.

SubwayChud Wrote: I don't know that I can top some of these tales but I had a Wattpad judge tell me I could improve my pacing by condensing my "first five chapters into one and get rid of all but two characters".  That was it. That was the feedback in total. It was the same as being told I could improve my pacing by not actually writing any of it.

As someone who entered a few Wattpad competitions back in the day, I've gotta say that they were really really bizarre. My story got runner up in a contest run by a non-binary 13 year old Brazilian German girl that threatened people in her posts on the regular. One of the requirements was to follow your judge permanently, but when I moved to RR, I unfollowed instantly.

I'm not exactly sure what to take from their liking of the story. Was it because it was well done? Or was it because it appeal to them somehow?

The last contest I was in was for a guy trying to grow some blog he was running that had very very few readers. It took FOREVER to get results, because they took over 1000 entries for some godforsaken reason. I got third place out of over fifty entrants, so I was pretty damn excited about that.

I am a little disappointed, because they offered an interview with the #1 story author, and I really wanted to give them some bizarre answers for fun. Would've been cool to have my insane ramblings immortalized on some dude's blog. Unfortunately, the blog is gone, but I have the review saved.

Spoiler :
Tsukiko Himura's life suddenly changes when her best friend is stabbed. As a vigilante, Knight Himura, she starts patrolling the Tokyo streets. This book is full of unexpected details and it's nothing like what you've read before. The story sounds like it could belong in a superhero comic book or movie, but the attention to the details and the emotions is far superior. The author has managed to turn his wonderful idea for the plot in a story that actually works and keeps the readers on the edge of their seats. This novel is perfect for everybody who loves adventure and action. It's interesting to see how Tsukiko Himura will handle her new life, following her sister's footsteps before her. But not everything is how it seems - will Tokyo remain peaceful or will one of the two main rival gangs prevail? This book is perfect for every teenager and adult who dreams of being able to actually go out there and make a difference in the world.

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: That I butchered Hindu mythology and I am culturally appropriating it. I myself am Indian hindu btw. But okay. 
There is nothing to grow from that because that was stupid.

I read that review. Check his other reviews. He's the walking version of this meme:

https%3A%2F%2Fi.kym-cdn.com%2Fentries%2Ficons%2Forig...%2Fdeath.jpg

He's also been spotted on my comment section, which is how I found him in the first place. Send help.  DrakanSweat

AlexaLee Wrote:
JK-sama Wrote: It's been long deleted/reported but I had one user give a very long, lengthy review that pulled zero punches with extremely harsh criticism and bordered on attacking me directly. He claimed he did what he could to sugarcoat and provide constructive criticism, but, well... yeah, it wasn't a professional review in the slightest. Some of it was stuff that was unnecessary and could've just pointed out in chapter comments but he went out of his way to make complaints exaggerated. 

I corrected most of the things that were pointed out. It stung a lot but I got over it eventually.

Oh no, that’s so rough. I had a pretty tough early experience with a review that started out by saying they were going to be nice and constructed and ended by saying I should reconsider writing because maybe it wasn’t for me...

That's more or less what the review for mine topped it off with. They were like, "I'll forgive the author if they were 12 years old, but if you're not then you should give up." And I'm like... good to know people don't even bother reading the little author bio thingy at the end of every chapter. DrakanLaugh