Re: Main Character

The main character is the central focus of the story, the readers will be following this said person and seeing how they react to things around them and how they grow as the story goes. A main character that isn't enjoyable to follow doesn't help the story but instead harm it, making the whole read less enjoyable.
Readers what do you like in a main character, some things you enjoy and traits you can get behind.
Writers, what type of main character do you enjoy writing, what are some struggles when you are writing your main characters.
I personally like more lighthearted MCs personally, though I don't mind the main character not being the smartest person unless it furthers the story I cannot stand a dumb MC.
What about you.

Radiophobia Wrote: The main character is the central focus of the story, the readers will be following this said person and seeing how they react to things around them and how they grow as the story goes. A main character that isn't enjoyable to follow doesn't help the story but instead harm it, making the whole read less enjoyable.
Readers what do you like in a main character, some things you enjoy and traits you can get behind.
Writers, what type of main character do you enjoy writing, what are some struggles when you are writing your main characters.
I personally like more lighthearted MCs personally, though I don't mind the main character not being the smartest person unless it furthers the story I cannot stand a dumb MC.
What about you.

Hi there, a readers perspective here, so it's hard to tell what MC I like because it depends on the story, you can have a lighthearted MC in a comedy story or a simple adventure story like Indiana Jones, an insecure MC who grows some guts in a thriller and a badass and arrogant one in an action story that walks on the edge of insanity, so what I'm trying to tell is that the MC should be appropriate for the story. 

So as long as the MC is interesting and he/she blends well in the story I'll gonna read it, I believe that the author should trust his/her instincts and write an MC that the story needs instead of an MC that people might like but won't fit in the story. If you need some ideas for a specific MC, you could ask for more specific feedback here in the forums, the community here is very responsive and will gladly support you with a comment or some feedback!

Now about the MCs that I like, well, I would describe them as smart, shrewd with a neutral-good personality, and a good sense of humor would be the cherry on the top.

I tend to write irreverent, emotionally constipated main characters, because I myself am emotionally constipated and find it tiring to inject emotionality into every scene I write. Better to just canonise the main characters outward emptiness rather than put effort into being a better writer and opening up in therapy.

As a reader I like main characters that make sense, and who take actions that make sense in accordance with the type of person they are.

I write multiple MCs! I get to have a little of column A, a little of column B, a little of column C. I really like writing a variety of personalities. Quick tempered, stalwart, anxious, martyr, brash, comedian, uncertain of herself...

Though, I think my favorite is the overwhelmed MC who perseveres. She is terrified, exhausted, and aching. She has no reason to be a hero. She wants to give up, but people need her. If she doesn't do this, no one else will. It's her choice to keep going, to learn more, to face her fears that makes her a hero.

In reading I like to see more smart mc who thinks about the situations to come to conclusions. Or who investigate the magic or their abilities.

Might just be that I'm more inclined to more competent MC's at least in one area. 
The irreverent laid back MC's also are fun to watch. More if they are confident but it's cool if the author still shows a depth of charachter.

In writing I'm still need to it with only one story under my belt. It's in first person and I'm going for the curious mc that explores his powers, also struggling with greed and in a journey to get more competent in this new area(having powers/ fighting).

I plan on writing more multiple MC's novels to explore a wider variety of characters in the same world.