Re: What is a good release schedule for RR?

Sorry if this has been asked before, but, after a quick search of the forum, I couldn't find it. Anyways, I'm getting ready to start my first story here on RR, but I was wondering what a good release schedule was for new chapters? I know it's good to be consistent with chapter updates, but what is considered 'consistent' varies greatly platform to platform (on Patreon, it's fine to release just one or two chapters a month, but, elsewhere, multiple chapters a week does better). I have one chapter ready to go now, but am wondering if it would be better to wait until I have a small backlog of chapters before posting it. Any advice?

Get a backlog first

Once you have a backlog, post as much as you can write without having to stress over it, and preferably a bit less. That way, when you get to a busy time in your life, your posting schedule and ideally your backlog won't be affected. Take care of yourself first, worry about update frequency second.

I didn't, which is why my story is now on hiatus.

Aside from that, I'd recommend a minimum of once per week as long as it doesn't conflict with the above

Thank you! That's about what I was thinking, especially since I'm trying to balance multiple writing projects. I'm currently rewriting my second novel after a major laptop malfunction, plus a WIP novel that I'm (currently) only sharing on Patreon, and then the one that I'm starting here (not including the others that I've started, but have side-lined for a bit while I work on these ones).

Rilaiss Wrote: Thank you! That's about what I was thinking, especially since I'm trying to balance multiple writing projects. I'm currently rewriting my second novel after a major laptop malfunction, plus a WIP novel that I'm (currently) only sharing on Patreon, and then the one that I'm starting here (not including the others that I've started, but have side-lined for a bit while I work on these ones).

Oh wow! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! I'm writing two books at the moment and I thought I was busy  DrakanLaugh

What are your books about?

AlexaLee Wrote:
Rilaiss Wrote: Thank you! That's about what I was thinking, especially since I'm trying to balance multiple writing projects. I'm currently rewriting my second novel after a major laptop malfunction, plus a WIP novel that I'm (currently) only sharing on Patreon, and then the one that I'm starting here (not including the others that I've started, but have side-lined for a bit while I work on these ones).

Oh wow! It sounds like you have a lot on your plate! I'm writing two books at the moment and I thought I was busy  DrakanLaugh

What are your books about?

Oh yes! I have 12 in total, plus the one that's already finished and out on Amazon. My primary project is a Regency-era Steampunk series which is going to be a 5 book series plus a prequel and is a gemstone themed, spy adventure (drawing from my background as a jeweller and gemology student). I'm also working on a dystopian trilogy; an alternative history/historical fantasy novel based on the premise of what if the world actually had been flat and what might lie beyond the edge (and is starting to turn into a bit of a fairy tale retelling); a Jasper Fforde style, book/library themed humorous fantasy ; an urban fantasy also with a librarian/magic theme; and a fairy tale retelling involving artists and an assassin/mercenary guild. Four of these are currently stand-alones, but at least a couple of them are likely to get expanded into a series. 

It's the Regency-era Steampunk series, the urban fantasy, and the art/assassin/fairy tale projects that I'm currently focusing on. I also have a bunch more partial story ideas floating around, but I'm trying to shelve those until I actually complete a few more of my current ones.

Thedude3445 Wrote: Once every 23 hours (23 because when you have two chapters in one day, they both appear on the Latest Updates section together, so it shows both chapters each day to prospective readers). Getting a backlog where daily updates are feasible is the hard part though. I'd say trying to get at least 2/3 of your story done before posting is a good path.

Thank you! That is very helpful to know.