Re: Choose your weapon!

So let's say that you have to pick up an ancient weapon to learn and fight, which one will be your pick? (One long-range and one close-range)

First of all, I'm no professional, so I choose only by how cool it looks and guessing how effective it would be (mostly how cool is it)  Peopew

Long-range: Chu Ko Nu (Because it's a crossbow with quick reload speed! What else we need to say!)
Close-range: Khopesh (Because common, it's cool! Probably I'll stab myself by trying to learn how to use it, but totally worth it, to die by a cool weapon in the hands of a weapon idiot)

So, pick your weapon!

Long range, a sling, definitely. It's light, relatively cheap, very powerful, and ammo is just laying around on the ground waiting for me to pick it up. The only real drawback is that it takes a long time to learn. 

Close-range, probably something like a staff or sword, possibly halberd. But I'm partial to staffs. I won't be robbed for my fancy super expensive weapon, it's easily replacable, and they look harmless so I probably won't stand out anywhere. Plus I could combine the sling and the staff into a staff sling. Staff slings are truly ridiculous, it's like a tiny portable siege weapon that can handle ammo the size of small cannon balls and fire with nearly as much force as cannons, too. 

EDIT: An axe would be a close second, though. It's a versatile tool in addition to a decent weapon. 

In fantasy world you probably could infuse your arrow with magic and then shoot it with your bow. So...
Long-range: Bow. I like bows in games! Far Cry, Crysis 3, ARK: Survival Evolved, etc.

But if close-combat is about to happen, it is better to use a melee weapon. And the simplest choice is...
Close-range: short sword/dagger. Also, you can use it in survival.

Long Range, Im having hard time choose between a throwing knives / shuriken or a crossbow (not the usual bow because I don't know how to use it.)

As for close range, I think I might prefer gauntlets or gardbrace, since I used to practice martial arts, so I have more confidence on using your usual punches and kick than sword and shield. Also to be honest Sword and shield are heavier than how they look. And if I fight with bare hands, that means I wouldnt have to worry me losing my weapon and not be able to fight.

Still it might suck if I break my arms or legs

Spear, because it is always better to keep opponents at a distance if you can. Plus spears are fairly easy to use and highly effective. Plus, in a pinch it can be thrown for additional distance if need be.

Short sword, because even in tight spaces I'd still want to keep my opponents at distance as much as possible. However, I'd prefer something with multiple utility and some heft to it, like the Snapdragon.

https%3A%2F%2Fkailashblades.com%2Fwp-content%2Fupl...55x370.jpg

For close combat, I'd go for a halberd. Combining the best of a spear and a poleaxe. I'm assuming I'm allowed to carry a long dagger for narrow caves and such. As ranged weapon, I'd pick a sling too. I'm already carrying a big polearms, I don't think carrying any kind of bow with me is going to combine well. If they have a stick-sized slingstaff I'd take that

DrakoRem Wrote: So let's say that you have to pick up an ancient weapon to learn and fight, which one will be your pick? (One long-range and one close-range)

Close range, I think I'd go for something like a staff, for all the hitting, tripping, blocking stuff you can do with something so simple.
Long range, I have no idea. Does magic count? 😅 I guess something like bolas.

Close range: a knife! Easy to hide, so probably the most useful weapon in your day-to-day life. If you get attacked, you can use it to scare away the attacker, and it's still deadly if the fight actually occurs. 

Longer range: javelins. More forceful than a bow, javelins can even unseat riders in a battle, and pierce strong shields. And they still let you outrange most opponents. Plus, they can be used similiar to a spear in closer range. If you had a bow, you'd either need something like a heavy sword for close range or you'd be very vulnerable.  

Assuming this is a fantasy world, I love the hidden blade gauntlets in assassin's creed as well as various clawed gloves and bladed brass knuckles, as well as spiked knee and elbow pads and clawed boots.  In reality I don't think that would be especially practical against swords and things.  But also in reality I'd be awful at melee combat because I have slow reaction speeds.  I might survive if you put me in full plate armor and gave me a tower shield and all I had to do was block, but I'd hate that.

Ranged, hmm.  I like bolas and grappling hooks but they are really more utility items than weapons.  I got to use a spear thrower once at a historical edutainment thing, and that was kind of fun but had pretty much zero stealth potential.  I'd want something I could snipe from cover with, and also convenient to transport and use inside a dungeon or building.  So maybe a recurved bow intended for horseback use, the ones about waist high.  Alternatively, magic can sometimes be a ranged weapon all by itself.

For my long-range weapon I'm gonna be a basic b*tch and choose a gun, it's relatively easy to learn, offers great range and does a lot of damage. Though I would prefer a musket or shotgun for burst shots and more lethal attacks, I would also keep pistols to hold the enemy back.
Another choice for my long-range is throwing knives or axes. I just love how axes look, and it's easier to coat knives or arrows and the such is poison rather than bullets.
For my close range, I would choose a scythe. First of all, scythes are bad*ss, secondly, they provide more range than normal close-range weapons. You can stab and the such but what I'm really looking for is the beheading possibility. 
Here's what I imagine the Scythe to look like.
Basically, Scythes are cool.

Half Wrote: Spear, because it is always better to keep opponents at a distance if you can. Plus spears are fairly easy to use and highly effective. Plus, in a pinch it can be thrown for additional distance if need be.

Short sword, because even in tight spaces I'd still want to keep my opponents at distance as much as possible. However, I'd prefer something with multiple utility and some heft to it, like the Snapdragon.

https%3A%2F%2Fkailashblades.com%2Fwp-content%2Fupl...55x370.jpg

Well, that looks cool! Me like!