Re: Writers, how much do you read?

That depends. For example. the last few weeks I've been reading Jane's entries on tanks, Pathfinder 1E material, Deathlands books, a Mike Hammer novel.

I read voraciously. When my wife and I moved into the new house, we gave the old TV to the kids (72" 4K curved) and decided to try life without a TV.

Which means... reading.

I've always read a lot. From a novel tucked into the back pocket of my uniform or stuffed in my ruck, to a book on the school bus, to reading a novel on lunch from a job.

I read a lot, and I feel like it improves my writing.

I feel saddened that I haven't been able to read physical books that much lately. I already partly write for work and then after that I write for fun. I'm looking at text enough already to want to read more of it after all this. I have mostly been listening to audiobooks lately because of this since it's a great thing to do while going for a walk or traveling somewhere.

I Wrote:
Fuchsia Wrote: I've seen a few writers over here say that since writing, they no longer read, which I find crazy.. 

DrakanFascinating

For me, there's another factor. Once I'm really invested in a story, I kinda forget all other work, including writing. So I avoid getting invested...

This is me in a nutshell.  Once I started writing, my journey became about my story.  Other books are fun, but they seem to have taken a backseat.

MarikoRawralton Wrote:
Fuchsia Wrote: I've seen a few writers over here say that since writing, they no longer read, which I find crazy..

I honestly haven't read much since I graduated school. Something kinda broke in my head between childhood and adulthood and now I can't seem to hold my attention on anything for extended periods of time unless it's something I'm writing. I used to be able to chew books up in like a day or two cuz I found the written word so damn entertaining, but nowadays, I have trouble sitting down to watch a movie or something.

The last book I read all the way through was Little Witch Academia: The Nonsensical Witch and the Country of the Fairies which is very clearly for children and it's really really short. I mostly did it to try and force myself to actually start reading again, but I failed miserably.

Other than that, I've been inching my way through Thedude3445's Hands Held in the Snow and CitizenSamurai's Humiliation of a Samurai but I'm struggling between balancing life, my own work, and the other tons of media I still have to consume.

I think my lack of reading shows itself in my admittedly still amateur-ish writing. I really should start reading more again, but I have a really hard time finding stories that interest me and the attention span to actually finish them. Nowadays, I get most of my story inspiration from video games, anime, and film, which is cool for broad ideas, but terrible for anything in the written word.

Ughhhg h this. Between getting a laptop in high school and the pressure of life, I feel like my attention span is too short and my outlook is too vigilant for interruptions and the pressures of life to be able to really enjoy reading and get lost in a story the way I did when I was a child. I could eat a novel a day. These days, I don't finish half the books I pick up. Between the grind of college and several very bad things that were going on in my life, I kind of had all my reading juice squished out of me. I used to have a reading group with my friend in college once a week to make sure we were actually creating time reading for fun. It sucks. I would really like to return to my first love.

I also agree with a lot of the people above. Once you're spending every spare moment writing and working, it's harder to read. I'm not using social media or youtube as much and I'm not watching TV/netflix often (maybe 2-3 times per week) so that's given me more time to read, but it's still a struggle. Did finish a novel today out of sheer lust to know what happened, but that doesn't happen as often as it used to. When I was a kid, I used to get invested in books way more easily. I would read literally anything, regardless of quality. Now, it's much harder for me to become engaged and get sucked in.

Wish it was different. One of my goals was to clear more time in my schedule to read books, and I'm slowly getting back on track.

Well, I read a lot more than a write.

When I was younger, I read so much that I recently found out that my family truly thought I was autistic. I slowed down these past few years,  but I couldn't really measure by how much. I can go for weeks without reading a single book if I'm obsessed with something else, but when I'm on a book binge I can read a book or two a night for weeks. (I'm in school; I have no obligations and terrible sleeping habits.)

I sometimes read more regularly during the school term, especially if my commute includes the underground (as I can't hear for shit on the underground). 

For a while, I was reading books on and off. I don't have the time that I used to have while I was in school, but I managed to read or reread some. Now, I've started listening to audio books while at work, and I think that's going to help me get a lot more read. I also find that it's been helping my writing. Maybe hearing the words spoken aloud helps my internal monologue? I'm not sure, but it's nice that I'm essentially getting paid to read.

DrakanFascinating

It's really not that crazy. I haven't read anything in over a year because I've been trying to concentrate on my writing. I love reading and I miss it, but I'm afraid that if I start reading before I finish at least one of my current WIP novels that I'll go on a binge read and lose all focus. After losing my entire second novel to a computer malfunction a little over a year ago, I'm even more determined than ever to not lose that focus. Once I at least finish that book, I'll take a break to let myself breathe and read some before diving back into to the next book. Right now, I'm working on a five book series (first one's already finished) plus prequel, a trilogy, and four other books, most of which will likely get expanded on and made into a series. On top of this, I'm also a jeweller and a freelance digital artist, so not much spare time for reading right now.

The college semesters are a bit rough, given schooling, work, life issues, and whatever writing I can cram in, but summers are great for the reading. Lifeguarding tends to rotate me off for about 20 minutes after every hour, so it stacks up fast. I'd say I get to read about... 150 books in a year? Goodreads clocked me in at 230, back when I kept to KU for the last year of high school, but that's always gonna be something of a special case.

Writing is a great side hobby, but a good book I don't know is uh... really nice. 

I've been reading quite a bit: physical novels (mostly thrillers, some nonfiction), online novels from the Internet Archive (old genre fiction), manga/manwha, etc. And I can read a lot if I'm motivated (or desperate to kick procrastination in the butt), though, which is around 100 pages in a day. But most days, I usually read just a chapter or two or read some articles/stories in some of my old college textbooks. Whenever I'm forced to wait around (which is a lot, tbh), I read.

The same as many have said before me, I read less when I write. Reading 3000 words is supposed to take around 15 minutes. Writing 3000 words takes me about 2 to 4 hours. There are a limited number of hours in the day. I combine this with a full-time job, some social activities and stuff that's more relaxing than writing. At the moment I'm reading too much and life has been hectic, so less writing. When I start writing again, my reading time will go down drastically

To be honest, I only shifted to writing because at first I wanted to make a web comic series. But I find the workload to be way too much for one person to handle.
Then I learn about the Light Novel and came up with the idea to put some of my illustration every now and then.

As a kid I read a lot since I had no access to the internet and TV and books were the only media I could access, now as adult I have to read a lot of stuff in the university so reading kind of become lame for me. Thing is also, I really have a story I want to tell and I don't know how else I would try to tell it beside writing.

Fuchsia Wrote:
I Wrote:

DrakanFascinating

It's not that crazy, actually. Unlike published authors who can take their time to write a book and can take long breaks between books, those who're serialized don't have that luxury. They have schools, colleges, jobs, and hundreds of other time-consuming stuff and above that, they need to think about their own story and churn out thousands of words daily. The time you actually get for your own entertainment once you begin something like writing is minimal at best...

Then there are other media like youtube or manga that provide quick entertainment without taking up much of your time, so you rarely turn to stories that take time to commit to...

For me, there's another factor. Once I'm really invested in a story, I kinda forget all other work, including writing. So I avoid getting invested...

So even though it's true that writers especially should read a lot to improve their craft, that option becomes unlikely with a serialized writer's lifestyle...

I get that, but like, don't they miss reading? I mean, most people start writing because they like stories and reading, right? 

It's not a 1:1 comparison, but I see it in a similar way to chefs and food. I would find it pretty sad if a chef got in to cooking because they like food, only to eat trash thereafter, or not eat all. 

I can see some people not having enough time to read, but I think most people do. I mean, I know someone that works two jobs and still finds time to read amidst a bunch of other responsibilities. Imo this is an excuse most people make because they no longer like to read and don't want to admit that.

Ironically, many chefs do not eat healthy due to the negative lifestyles connected with being a chef. After a long and brutal day of cooking, the last thing you'd want is to spend another hour cooking a healthy meal. In the moment, it's much more preferable to get some fast food and get to bed quicker.