Re: How do you deal with procrastination

I try to start writing in the mornings to hit my 1k word goal for the day, but often times when I sit down I found my mind going "Hey, lets check every possible site I've even been on, just in case." Once I start writing I can normally keep going as long as listening to music, but it's getting to that point that is the issue.

Anyone else do this and if so how do you deal with it? 

Yeah, I feel ya. Some days I just have to embrace it. When I'm hit by the major procrastinations, I know I'm not going to get much done so I don't try to force it. Otherwise I run the risk of whatever I write being tosh.

If I'm not feeling it, but I want to produce something, I find planning what I ought to be writing helps get the juices flowing and I feel less hard on myself for not doing owt.

I try to deviate from my original writing goal. If I was planning on working on a serious dialogue-heavy chapter and I just can't get going, then I'll jump to a scene I envision further along in the story that may just be easier or more fun to write.  Moving to an action scene or dialogue with jokes usually helps me get my focus back (even if I don't end up using it).
Barring that - chores, even though I'll be grouchy while doing them.

"Just write one sentence." That's what I tell myself. I have a goal to write everyday, but I don't hold myself to too high standards, so If I write even one word, I count it. This way, I always feel somewhat accomplished. Once I start though, I typically can just keep going, to the point where I have to force myself to stop. But to actually start, it's just a constant chant in my head, "one sentence, one sentence," and if that seems like a hurdle, "one word, one word". :)

2 rules. 

1. Just do it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-sfG8BV8wU&ab_channel=Envane          I know it sounds cliche, but you don't have to psych yourself up to do something you don't want to do at a job. So why do you when you want to do something that you enjoy doing. 99% of the battle is getting the first words down because of the setup. So when its time for you to write, just go and do it. Forget about all the things you could do for instant gratification they will wait until after you've done your 1000. 

2. Do it anyway. You don't want to do it. But just do it anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbFP77lARS4&ab_channel=ChrisFox       couldn't find the vid but that's good enough. Think I'm not gonna go look at memes until I've written one sentence. Then you can look at memes. 

Cut the internet. 

Or change your writing routine. Obviously your mind isn't ready in the morning and pushing you to do something else.

But don't fight it back too hard either, I find that my story shapes itself better when i got time to just daydream about it and explore the possibilities. 
If you don't want to write it sometimes is because you feel that it is,'t worth writing yet.