Re: Idea for a System in a VR LitRPG story

I am currently in the process of working on ideas for a VR LitRPG I hope to write at some point I kinda want to see what people think of my new idea. It’s not perfect and probably needs some work but that partly why I’m doing this. 
The idea is called the Synergy/Affinity System (one of the two). How it works is anyone can learn any* Skill they want but the difficulty of learning the Skill is partly dependent on their level of Synergy with the Skill. The more Synergy they have with the Skill the easier it is to learn but the reverse is true also, if you have bad Synergy it might be almost impossible to learn the Skill. The Synergy is dependent on several factors including, Race, Class, level of Affinity with certain Elements (Fire, Water, Earth , etc.), and some more unique factors that can turn up. A good example is a Necromancer he might have a boost to learn Death magic but if he tried to learn Healing magic he could do it but it might take enough effort that it would not really be worth it. This system would also effect the leveling of the Skill so even after you learn the Skill the Synergy is still important. 
There could also be some common skills that unless you have some unique circumstances have a basic Synergy with everyone so everyone learns them at around the same pace. 

*There would be some exceptions to this including unique Skills and some Class based Skills. 

With your example of the necromancer learning healing skills, someone could become a 'master of life and death'. Would that even be possible? If it is, are there special rewards for people who show the dedication, perseverance and (in some cases) creativity to look for those unlikely combinations? Is there a need for classes still? If you start as a swordsman and you learn some kind of magic, wouldn't you just become a magic swordsman? The skills are open to all, why not let your skills determine your class rather than your class determining your skills?

That's all for now.

Oskatat Wrote: With your example of the necromancer learning healing skills, someone could become a 'master of life and death'. Would that even be possible? If it is, are there special rewards for people who show the dedication, perseverance and (in some cases) creativity to look for those unlikely combinations? Is there a need for classes still? If you start as a swordsman and you learn some kind of magic, wouldn't you just become a magic swordsman? The skills are open to all, why not let your skills determine your class rather than your class determining your skills?

That's all for now.

Truthfully the reason I was thinking of using Classes was partly to be part of what determines a persons Synergy. But I guess if I could find a alternative to that, using Skills themselves to determine the Class could be a cool idea too. Though I might want to have a way for a person to choose what skills they want to be used for that determination. Like if you have magic but don’t want a magic class for some reason you exclude them from the determination.

I could imagine that the society they would live in would become more judgemental if aptitude is a major factor in determining skill level. 

example 1:
farmer 1: Oh no! Our crops failed this year!
farmer 2: It has to be that baker dude! He just leveled up his fire skill and increase the temperature which killed our crops! 
farmer 3: It has to be that seamstress bitch. She increases her water skill in 3 levels in less than 2 weeks! Either she flooded our crops or taken thee moisture away from them!
farmer 4: it must be the butcher's daughter! I heard she has a great affinity to death magic!
farmer 1: Kill them!

Example 2:
Wife: Wow! I just increase my sex magic by 2!
husband: You slut!
lol

Example 3:
Bro1: Huh? my Yin level just increase!
Bro2: (take a step back) ...

interesting idea, but its just a part of a system,
you are on the right direction. keep thinking on more new ideas and you will have in the end a truly unique system.

to make better use of this system, instead try to think on how in the first place someone gain synergies to different skills.
maybe they can choose a class or more then one class.
maybe they can go on quests to get rewarded with affinities, that will boost synergies,
maybe they can train skills to boost synergies to other skills
maybe artifacts will boost it
maybe achievements can boost it also, and everyone will be chasing this achievements just because of this (will make a crazy world for sure)

as a component of a system this has a lot of potential, but you need to think how to buld a system around it, and a world that will be interesting with it.