This thread is locked

Re: May Thread - Promote your Story

Two millennia after a planet-wide disaster, Humanity has once again taken to the stars, only to find themselves a late arrival to a crowded affair. Most habitable worlds are already under control of other species and the vast Thorian Empire covers the largest swaths of territory.

With the Empire temporarily stagnant as it reels from the aftermath of a decades-old war, Earth has the opportunity to establish itself as a more prominent technological and political force. Would a resurgent Empire quash those ambitions once and for all or will it all crumble in the face of an even greater threat emerging from the dead of space?

The Bloodlet Sun follows a cast of characters flung across the different corners of the knows worlds, as their intertwining stories affect the course of history and perhaps the survival of all sentient life.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fcove...1606435443

If you’re interested in a classic space opera – not too heavy on the sci-fi aspect but more about character development and uncovering ancient secrets, then The Bloodlet Sun is for you.

Whispers of Long Lost Voices

Quick Breakdown

🖖Ancient Aliens
👩‍❤️‍👩 Strong LGBT Relationship
💞Kick Ass Found Families
🚀 Moms in Space
🪐 Intergalactic Intrigue
💃 Musicians and Space Shanties
👊Actually Dealing with Trauma and Grief

Note: This isn't tagged dystopia, but it does contain some more difficult and darker elements often found in dystopian.

Summary

Three-and-a-half years after her wife’s murder at the hands of Earth’s rulers, the genetically superior Aesir, Brennan Darcy lives a free life far from terra firma on the Intergalactic Organization for Humanitarian Relief vessel, Hestia’s Hearth. Time has healed many of her wounds, but still she can’t move on or accept her wife, Rora, isn’t out there waiting for her.

On the eve of their would-be wedding anniversary, a surprise rescue operation makes the impossible, possible. Abandoned deep in a jungle, on a backwater world, by the smugglers originally charged with rescuing her from an illegal Aesir breeding facility, is Rora. She’s scarred by the bullets Brenn thought had killed her, delirious and ill, but very much alive with a newborn at her breast.

Rora isn’t the same as Brenn remembers, wrapped up in years of trauma and secrets. The sudden demands of caring for her wife’s delicate mental health and working motherhood are more difficult than Brenn imagined. If that weren’t enough, a secret and powerful group within the Aesir empire will stop at nothing to take back Rora and the baby—whose hybrid genes could tilt the balance of power forever in the Aesir’s favor within a single generation.

Now, Brenn must learn to trust in her own strength, that of her wife, and the odd collection of friends she’s made since leaving Earth to protect her tiny family and find a safe place for them to grow—if such a place exists.

Meanwhile the Universe is growing more complex and dangerous every day, with whispers of a far more ancient and greater force stirring beneath the surface.

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fcove...1593561512

FIRST CONTACT

Eight Thousand Years after the Glassing of Earth, Terran Descent Humanity has largely become a post-scarcity society based on consent and enjoying life. With the discovery of another ancient race beyond the "Great Gulf", events and history collide to draw the Terran Confederacy into war against an hundred million year old empire that has always won and believes it always will. With allies and enemies of multiple species, the Orion Galactic Arm Spur will be wracked by warfare the likes of which have not been seen.

Cracked, harried, wounded, and damaged, Terran Descent Humanity willfully throws itself against the universe itself.

"The universe hates you and will take away everything you love, laughing while it does so." - Terran belief.

Told largely from the viewpoint of other species, the story is currently ongoing. It involves graphic depictions of violence, war, adult language and situations, drug use, and other mature topics.

The story will be updated on weekdays, so keep an eye on this page for more chapters.

The story is 400+ chapters, and repeating characters do not start appearing until the Vuxten chapters. If you're in a hurry for repeating characters then this story will not be enjoyable to you. The interwoven plot is not based on a single person but the entire war, with its effects upon multiple people.

FantasyBliss30 Wrote:
Thedude3445 Wrote: Hands Held in the Snow is the story of two queer kids in love.
Not only it is interesting, the art is super cute and colorful. Have you thought of making a web comic out of this? Just curious.

If I could get it crowdfunded, I'd absolutely make a comic adaptation of Hands Held in the Snow. However, I don't know how much it would really cost and I don't have the time to adapt it into script form myself, so it'd require an artist and a writer both. If anyone does know more about the process, please let me know!

BLACK HEAVEN ASCENSION

Genre: A dark fantasy xuanhuan

Description: Great demons and righteous heroes compete towards their path to heaven, either seeking to bring absolute order to the world or fighting to achieve personal freedom and power unrivaled, they may proceed with their heads held high since their path is honored by their forefathers.

But there are those that seek no blessings and walk on their own. Pathetic wretches that struggle on their knees, desperately trying to carve a new path. To their very own little black heaven.

Word count: 69 359

Link: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/30268/black-heaven-ascension

P.S: It's my first work of fiction so all criticism is welcome and appreciated.

Saga of the Cosmic Heroes

https%3A%2F%2Fpreview.redd.it%2F2vsylxm5s0w61.pn...20a4d1c087

(Volume 2 cover art by gar32 on twitter)

265k words, 964 pages, 78 chapters

[left]Synopsis:

Quote:Character-driven sci-fi space opera set in approximately the 29th century AD (or 3rd century UC) in a setting where humanity is united under an interstellar Federation past its zenith. The story follows a young Victoria Happ-Schwarzenberger through a first-person narrative as she follows in her father's footsteps and enlists in the Metropolitan Space Navy in events that will change her course forever.

Joining the narrative is Li Chou, known as the Madame Scarface. She serves as a lieutenant under a pirate republic ruled by her ruthless adoptive father nestled in the outer hinges of Federation authority. And Alexandra Descartes-Dolz, a colonial spacenoid with the aspirations of changing the decadent Federation's injustices. This saga tells of their intertwining destinies and the struggles they face along the way.

Besides the three main characters, the story also explores points of views from a variety of side/minor characters as well. The story is written in first-person present tense for main characters, and limited third-person for side/minor characters. There will only be one PoV for a chapter, though.

Tags
  • Female leads
  • Space Opera
  • Drama
  • Strategy
  • War and Military
  • Multiple Lead Characters
May contain
  • Gore
  • Profanity
  • Traumatising content
  • waifus you want to protect
Updates generally come by Friday at 8:06 PM EST/EDT, but may come later in the weekend as well.

I also commission chapter art from various freelancer artists frequently, mostly done in anime style.

The Young Riders meet The Vampire Diaries in this tale of brother versus brother and blood-magic set in a gaslamp fantasy world.

Llew has a gift. Her body heals itself from any injury, at a cost to anyone nearby.

Llew’s father disappeared when she was eleven, leaving her orphaned, as far as she knew.

Since then, Llew has learned to survive the streets of the gold-mining town of Cheer – full of opportunistic men and desperation. It’s a hard existence made tougher when her so-called friend accuses Llew of murder, sending her to the gallows.

Llew’s Aenuk ability to absorb life means she doesn’t stay dead for long, but she does leave a trail of death behind her.

Escaping the hangman’s noose sees Llew fall into the hands of Jonas: the man with the knife and the Karan power to kill Llew’s kind. If Llew can nurture the attraction he has to her, maybe she can keep that knife from her heart.

But lurking in the shadows is Jonas’s half-brother, Braph: the man who has learned to combine Aenuk and Karan powers into infinite and addictive magical potential.

Healer's Touch is a fantasy novel flavored with a wild west setting, steampunk-like technology, enough romance to draw you in, horror to keep you hooked, and just enough sex to keep things spicy. 

The story continues in Warrior's Touch and concludes in Magician's Touch.

68,573 words posted so far from a total 110K for Healer's Touch alone. This will be the whole series, eventually, which is at 300K words, so far.

CW: Contains profanity, violence, sex, and sexual assault.

The Beast of Ildenwood

The story of two characters whose fates intertwine one fortunate day, and in doing so, change the course of the world.

https%3A%2F%2F1.bp.blogspot.com%2F-xYQks9D1d-s%2FY...BCover.png

Lahab takes her oath as a Noble Guardian with dead seriousness, so when an artifact that has the power to destroy the world - or create an era of lasting peace - shows up on the battlefield, she risks her life to make sure it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.

While on the run from those who desire the mighty power of the mysterious artifact, she stumbles upon an unconscious amnesiac and decides to take him with her. The Wanderer of Realms - the only name the man has - travels with Lahab as she makes the journey to Burj Nur, but as he begins to regain his memories, dangerous secrets come to light about this Wanderer...

The Beast of Ildenwood just released Chapter 2 yesterday!

My story is a D&D-inspired story that I made because I love tabletop RPGs. The story is currently in its second book with a rewrite of the first book coming out after I finish the third one.

Book 1 is solving a crime that was made to punish the party.

Book 2 is about destroying an evil artifact.

My party is manly women with changing PoVs between chapters. Only one human is in the party for those of you who hate human MCs. Anyways, if you want to check out my story, the link is in the signature.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40155/journey-of-a-scholar

An isekai story with no/less cheap deus ex machina.

My goal is to build a world that makes sense and throw in an isekaied victim that ends up as a commoner's child.

No magic for him, no riches, no status, no special power.

Only thing he got rolling for him is the knowledge he brought with him.

How to use this knowledge to get out of misery without being labelled as crazy? How to survive when monsters are roaming around and lors with magical powers are ruling with an iron fist?

That's what I'm writing about.

For Irision - Book One complete (YA sci-fi)

After being arrested for treason by the Council for choosing to ignore their orders and try to rescue the inhabitants of a doomed planet, Aries and her crew (Space Corps Trainee crew 761) try to piece their lives back together before the Council makes good on their promise to destroy them.

Consisting of over 140,000 words and 60 chapters, this richly detailed story uses a non-linear narrative to examine the aftermath of events which lead to Crew 761 being labeled as traitors.

Thick as Thieves (YA fantasy/dystopian)

When Darcy makes a deal to become a thief for a crooked pawnshop owner who has the power to save her sister, Sen, they are thrown into a world of magic, mystery and romance. Once the guards discover they can wield magic, they're uprooted from their home in Ring Nine and brought to the Magician Lodgings within the Palace compound. They must learn to control their powers and stay safe in their new and unfamiliar realm.

An intriguing mixture of fantasy and dystopian with a romance subplot, this book explores the sister relationship and how far they will go to protect each other.

“It’s a bomb book. Go read it. Totally worth it.”

“Thick as Thieves has a charm of humanity in it, and it’s in that simplicity, that I find myself being most moved by.”

Hello we are the group of Archive of Stories going to advertise our three novels

Army of the Damned

"When are we gonna go home?" says the guy in skeleton form.

An Isekai about Politics, Strategy and War. Players suddenly got transported into an Isekai world. Our cast of people are forced to accept the new world and adapt or die. They have the means to do damage and commit war, but are now forced to face the music of morals as now, they're not playing with Code. But actual human life. What will they do? What choices and mistakes will they make in their attempt to go back home?

-Story by KFCLover from Archives of Stories

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fcove...1616762588

Task Force 8080

Written within the same universe of Army of the Damned

Taken from the perspective of casual players,  on the other side of the spectrum as Dark World VR came to life, as supplies dwindle and resources burnt, this particular group of player must abandon their progressive ways and adapt to their surroundings. Will their mettle be forged a new or will they collapse under the heat of tradition?

- By Ves from  Archives of Stories

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fcove...1617386780

Thirsty for Blood

"Will the whole world treat us as something different just because of someone pushed us into becoming this monstrous thing" In the world of Linderal, there exist two beings who are unable to accept what they are. This is their journey of acceptance towards themselves and the troubles that come with it.

- Story by Rin Scarlet from Archives of Stories

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fcove...1617290769

The Knights Himura

After her friend is stabbed in a mugging gone wrong, Tsukiko Himura vows to find the man responible. Soon, her personal investigation unwittingly drags her into a brewing war between two of Tokyo's powerful street gangs.

With a private eye, street fighting thief and drunkard sister by her side, Tsukiko dives head first into the city's criminal underbelly.

Following in her family's footsteps, Tsukiko dons the jacket of a Legendary Knight Himura. As a Knight, she must take to the streets to fight and protect the new bonds she's forged along the path to justice.

The Knights Himura is a completed thriller / mystery story, inspired by anime like Durarara and Cowboy Bebop, as well as games like the Ryu Ga Gotoku series.

Expect a crime story about personal revenge, anger, friendship, family, reconciliation, love, youth, and mystery, set in modern day Tokyo, Japan.

Find it in my signature!

Creatures once believed to be legend have invaded the kingdom of Vulkira. King Erik must uncover the truth behind their sudden attack. The crushing responsibility threatens to break him and his kingdom.
A haunting past eats away at the Queen of Xer. Cara is hellbent on protecting the ones she loves and the future of her kingdom. Balancing the greater good, she fights to keep her head above the sea of guilt.
In a remote town, Henry, an energetic bookworm is thrust into the world as chaos engulfs his once seemingly peaceful world. His lord has a task for him, one in which will change his life forever.
Betrayal is at each corner, shadows step into the light, a supernatural force awaits the time to strike. Awakening an ancient civilization from their past may be their only hope now. A spiraling doom awaits the world of Isulia.

I've been holding off on promoting this but I'm almost done releasing the first part of the story so this is probably the time to start actively trying to throw it in front of eyeballs.  The story contains explicit descriptions of sex, violence and a decent amount of profanity.  You know, the good stuff.  As well as a good dose of misery and pitch black humor.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/40361/erased

https%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FAX7f15v.png

The first bit is sort of an introduction to the world and the main character.  Everything goes completely sideways in chapter 9 and starting in chapter 11 the main thrust of the story begins.  The guy gets put back in as a dead girl.  Mystery abounds, drama ensues.  Makes friends, dodges or kills enemies, overall has a good/desperate time.  Right now as of chapter 27 there's 83k words available on the site.  I've drafted about 225k but each chapter needs sometimes serious editing before being released, thus the delayed release schedule.  As far as how long its going to be I'm still drafting the last part so its almost done.  Maybe 80 chapters total, just started drafting 73.  It may end up going longer, I was planning on finishing by like chapter 72 but then I had a burst of inspiration and began a new section.

One of the running jokes is that, no matter what the situation, Macarthy is almost always the most evil person in every scene.  The opposition, such as they are, run the gamut from legitimately good people to the posturing variety.  And some worse ones.  Macarthy drives the story forward, just like a good villain should, but manages to rise to the level of anti-hero given the situation.  Oh yeah, its written in first person present tense.  May or may not be your cup of tea.

Anyway, here's the blurb:
Macarthy. Black Hand of the Thieves Guild. Infamous and hated.
Last night of the tournament, relaxing for a bit. Having some drinks to calm my nerves. Disguise ready to go, almost about time to start heading over.  Sneak in while they're still fighting and get my hands on the grand prize.  And, sure, the money's a factor, but money comes and money goes.  Money ain't everything.  The real reason for this?  Revenge. Payback for them shutting down the guild, breaking us all up and carelessly wiping away all our years of sweat and blood. Looks like a good plan. Solid enough, at least.

It shouldn't need to be said, but looks can be very deceiving. Even the best laid plans never really account for all of life's little twists.  And afterwards? Kicked out, access revoked, but saved by a choice bit of foresight and managing to slink my way back in.

And this, this absolutely doesn't need to be said, but they really didn't seem to like that. Not at all. So new face, new class, getting to start all over. At least a foot shorter and missing some important bits. No longer invisible, can't really do it, instead hiding in plain sight. Hopefully only a temporary situation, but the way things have been going? Not likely.
This thread is locked