Re: Royal Road Identity Crisis

I said I was done with my last post, but I'm not done! I love this site I've been here for a few years now. I found this through Legendary Moonlight Sculptor. Is that the pinnacle of writing? No. But I liked it. And there was plenty of similar stories here that I enjoyed very much. This place felt like home. But that is not the case anymore!

Now, perhaps I am misreading the situation here, but it feels like RR is splitting into two general groups. The Majority: Those like me who enjoy stories like Randidly, Arcane Emperor, Primal Hunter, Metaworld, Savage Divinity, Azarinth, etc. The Minority: Readers that enjoy more classical literature such as Lord of the Rings, Dune, or whatever else you nerds praise.

Now this venn diagram definitely has some overlap, but the minority is very vocal in the reviews. They expect too much. Their standards are too high. They are incredibly negative towards new writers for not living up to the authors they put on a pedestal. They don't like the stories that get most of the traffic here.

And what I despise the most. They discourage authors from writing. This is what this post is about. I want more chapters!!!! I want all the chapters to keep coming. And this negative minority is ruining my fix with their standards and hate. I wish they would just leave!

All I want is my Authors to keep churning out the stories I like and for new authors to keep coming up. Should they be critiqued and make improvements. Yes. Should Anon be able to hate away their story just because they dont like it. No.

But maybe this is the great Identity Shift of Royal Road. Where the stories I like are to be .5 rated to death and those authors quit writing. Then more stories that live up to  the minority's standards shine like our current #1 best rated. And readers like me should just move on. I don't know this place just isn't the same. And its not the sites fault. Its the community.

Huh. Look at that. I fully agree with this one. This might just be due to me writing on the site, but I do feel like the quality of the top crop has grown immensely as of late. This might just be due to the large influx of new people though. And with those people, a new level of writing has started becoming expected. At some level, people do have to realise that most people on here haven't written anything worth any kind of award. 

Criticism is a needed part of the writing of course, but not to the level where we kick out everybody that can't make an emotional wonder. Maybe we are just starting to become elitist?

If it were me, I'd ban any type of speech that discourages a writer from writing. I don't really give a damn about that whole freedom of speech nonsense. That ain't real anyway. And we already have irl politics and religion ban so it wouldn't matter if we banned that "you should stop writing" shit. Would some readers be angry? Sure, but so what? Fug 'em, and their anger, cause I hate that shit the most...

I Wrote: If it were me, I'd ban any type of speech that discourages a writer from writing. I don't really give a damn about that whole freedom of speech nonsense. That ain't real anyway. And we already have irl politics and religion ban so it wouldn't matter if we banned that "you should stop writing" shit. Would some readers be angry? Sure, but so what? Fug 'em, and their anger, cause I hate that shit the most...

I'm pretty sure that's already against the rules.

#3 in the major in the Major Rules: 

"Insulting and attacking other users is not allowed. You can disagree, but be polite and civil."

Then 3.1 and 3.2 in the Reviewing rules:

"Directly insulting the author or the readers is strictly forbidden. You may criticize the writing in constructive ways if you have a genuine desire to help, but do not direct your feedback at any author specifically, especially if it is a personal attack on their character."

"Discouraging an author from writing is viewed as taboo on Royal Road."

I've gotten reviews with this sort of stuff before, and the admins have always removed them after I reported them.

David Wrote:
I Wrote: If it were me, I'd ban any type of speech that discourages a writer from writing. I don't really give a damn about that whole freedom of speech nonsense. That ain't real anyway. And we already have irl politics and religion ban so it wouldn't matter if we banned that "you should stop writing" shit. Would some readers be angry? Sure, but so what? Fug 'em, and their anger, cause I hate that shit the most...

"Insulting and attacking other users is not allowed. You can disagree, but be polite and civil."

"Directly insulting the author or the readers is strictly forbidden. You may criticize the writing in constructive ways if you have a genuine desire to help, but do not direct your feedback at any author specifically, especially if it is a personal attack on their character."

I've gotten reviews with this sort of stuff before, and the admins have always removed them after I reported them.

Every single 0.5-star anonymous rating is discouraging an author from writing. At least it makes me and so many others feel discouraged as fuck.

Zogarth Wrote: Every single 0.5-star anonymous rating is discouraging an author from writing. At least it makes me and so many others feel discouraged as fuck.

Ok...so why is it going back to the current favourite topic of 0.5 anonymous ratings when the OP clearly talks about the part of the said Venn diagram where people have some set standards?(🙄 how dare they! They must be banned! And even if they have standards, they should not be allowed to express it so someone else could have freedom of expression.) 

To clarify- I am not supporting them, but neither am I against them. Just let them be. Just let everyone be.

So what is happening to this site? I thought it was all about the political correctness of being apolitical and promoting ‘inclusiveness’?
Everyday there are posts from people complaining about something or bashing someone. How about going back to the basics and just read/write for the sake of it?

OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote: Every single 0.5-star anonymous rating is discouraging an author from writing. At least it makes me and so many others feel discouraged as fuck.

Ok...so why is it going back to the current favourite topic of 0.5 anonymous ratings when the OP clearly talks about the part of the said Venn diagram where people have some set standards?(🙄 how dare they! They must be banned! And even if they have standards, they should not be allowed to express it so someone else could have freedom of expression.) 

To clarify- I am not supporting them, but neither am I against them. Just let them be. Just let everyone be.

So what is happening to this site? I thought it was all about the political correctness of being apolitical and promoting ‘inclusiveness’?
Everyday there are posts from people complaining about something or bashing someone. How about going back to the basics and just read/write for the sake of it?

Because I can't write when my mental state is considering just to delete my novel off RR every single day I am on here. I am not even bashing someone, because guess what, they are fucking anonymous. You can't relate to this issue at all as you don't live it. You have 9 ratings on your novel, 6 of which come from review swaps. I have never advocated about them not being able to express their opinion or share their thoughts, but a 0.5-star anonymous rating is not that. It tells me nothing but that someone wants to punch me in the dick.

I am not advocating for all readers to change their behavior, but for the existing system to facilitate that behavior, and I seriously don't think that is too much to ask.

Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:

Because I can't write when my mental state is considering just to delete my novel off RR every single day I am on here. I am not even bashing someone, because guess what, they are fucking anonymous. You can't relate to this issue at all as you don't live it. You have 9 ratings on your novel, 6 of which come from review swaps. I have never advocated about them not being able to express their opinion or share their thoughts, but a 0.5-star anonymous rating is not that. It tells me nothing but that someone wants to punch me in the dick.

I am not advocating for all readers to change their behavior, but for the existing system to facilitate that behavior, and I seriously don't think that is too much to ask.

Honestly, I do understand your pain. My 6 ratings are from reviews swaps, because no one would read/review my story otherwise, as it is a romance with RR despises by definition. I have seen many inferior stories getting instant follows on their 2nd/3rd chapters while I have a meager 12 after my 29. 
Anyway, I have accepted it. You are free to go give it a 0.5 if that makes you feel better, I won't mind :)
So just try to relax and let go. Start on your next chapter or think of a new idea or just go for a walk. Anything that makes you feel better. Don't let the troll get you.

OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:

Honestly, I do understand your pain. My 6 ratings are from reviews swaps, because no one would read/review my story otherwise, as it is a romance with RR despises by definition. I have seen many inferior stories getting instant follows on their 2nd/3rd chapters while I have a meager 12 after my 29. 
Anyway, I have accepted it. You are free to go give it a 0.5 if that makes you feel better, I won't mind :)
So just try to relax and let go. Start on your next chapter or think of a new idea or just go for a walk. Anything that makes you feel better. Don't let the troll get you.

I wish I could, but my mind does not work that way. I have always been the type of person that wants to fix an issue when I see it. Right now, I know the rating system is causing severe harm to not just myself but many other authors and has made many stop posting or choose to leave the site. I know this for a fact from having spoken to several. I want the fix the broken system to help myself and others, but I am completely unable to do anything.

Especially now that the story is a major part of my life. It is my full-time job. I spend (or is supposed to spend) most of my waking hours working on the novel, but instead of doing that, I am considering just deleting it off any online platform and going dark to not end up burning out or having a complete meltdown from the stress of dealing with this.

Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:

I wish I could, but my mind does not work that way. I have always been the type of person that wants to fix an issue when I see it. Right now, I know the rating system is causing severe harm to not just myself but many other authors and has made many stop posting or choose to leave the site. I know this for a fact from having spoken to several. I want the fix the broken system to help myself and others, but I am completely unable to do anything.

Especially now that the story is a major part of my life. It is my full-time job. I spend (or is supposed to spend) most of my waking hours working on the novel, but instead of doing that, I am considering just deleting it off any online platform and going dark to not end up burning out or having a complete meltdown from the stress of dealing with this.

Hey, I just checked your profile and see you are the author of Primal Hunter!
I mean..you are already so popular and established. You have so many followers and great reviews! Why do you care what that sadistic troll thinks? As for the others who are leaving, I can't speak for them but I can say maybe I'll be one of them soon. You said this is your full-time work, so have you thought of publishing on kindle or somewhere? That will be my ultimate goal as at the end of the day I want money for my time and work, and I think we are in the same boat.
All I'm saying is that - Don't keep all your eggs in one basket that is RR. There is a world beyond RR and you can explore other options. 

On a side note - I see you have a very stringent schedule set for you  - 2500 words per chapter five times a week. It might be a good idea to relax it for some time just until you are back to full strength. 

So just see what works and never give up. Lastly, you can't fix everything. Raise it some time, discuss it, but don't let it drag you down!

OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:

Hey, I just checked your profile and see you are the author of Primal Hunter!
I mean..you are already so popular and established. You have so many followers and great reviews! Why do you care what that sadistic troll thinks? As for the others who are leaving, I can't speak for them but I can say maybe I'll be one of them soon. You said this is your full-time work, so have you thought of publishing on kindle or somewhere? That will be my ultimate goal as at the end of the day I want money for my time and work, and I think we are in the same boat.
All I'm saying is that - Don't keep all your eggs in one basket that is RR. There is a world beyond RR and you can explore other options. 

On a side note - I see you have a very stringent schedule set for you  - 2500 words per chapter five times a week. It might be a good idea to relax it for some time just until you are back to full strength. 

So just see what works and never give up. Lastly, you can't fix everything. Raise it some time, discuss it, but don't let it drag you down!

I don't have all my eggs in one basket at all, I just care about all the baskets.

The entire thing is... I want to keep posting on RR and have all my chapters (besides advance ones) for free on RR. I want to be one of the "good" authors who keep it here and don't take off unless absolutely necessary. I know me removing it or putting it behind a paywall would hurt a lot of the readers who have supported me from the beginning with actual good feedback, proofreading, and encouragement, and I really don't want to do that. I feel like I am trying to be "one of the good ones" and yet I feel like I get shit on for it.

I made 10k+ off Patreon last month, I have a popular story by all metrics, and I should be happy as fuck, but instead, I feel miserable. I know I should be happy, but knowing that and still feeling bad just makes it all even worse. I feel like shit for feeling like shit, as I know by all accounts I should be happy as I am living the dream of so many aspiring writers, and yet I am just not.

OntoSomethingGood Wrote: I mean..you are already so popular and established. You have so many followers and great reviews! Why do you care what that sadistic troll thinks?

It's so easy to say 'Look at all the positives over the negatives', but we intuitively don't do that. To avoid politics and such, look at game reviews for games you like. It can have 9 positive reviews that you fully agree with, but the one negative review will stick out way more. You'll put far more focus on it as opposed to the just as well-written good ones. This applies to grades, work, emotions, thoughts, and so on. Have you ever had something not gone your way and felt like everything is going down the drain? I certainly have, even though everything else about my life is going either okay or good.

The same is true for authors, and I imagine this applies to game devs and artists. Sure you could have thousands who praise and love your work. But those harsh words of a few, even those not trolls, really hurt. Have you ever tried to justify in comments or DMs to a reader why the plot point isn't actually bad, or why X is a good thing? What about sending a thanks or discussing thoughts with those who said something interest in support of your story? I bet the former is far more common.

It's a depressing reality of us putting out something we leave our heart in and see others spit it out simply due a disagreement of taste. At least I assume you write with emotion and not from some sociopathic desire to simply be better than other writers...

Zogarth Wrote: I don't have all my eggs in one basket at all, I just care about all the baskets.

The entire thing is... I want to keep posting on RR and have all my chapters (besides advance ones) for free on RR. I want to be one of the "good" authors who keep it here and don't take off unless absolutely necessary. I know me removing it or putting it behind a paywall would hurt a lot of the readers who have supported me from the beginning with actual good feedback, proofreading, and encouragement, and I really don't want to do that. I feel like I am trying to be "one of the good ones" and yet I feel like I get shit on for it.

I made 10k+ off Patreon last month, I have a popular story by all metrics, and I should be happy as fuck, but instead, I feel miserable. I know I should be happy, but knowing that and still feeling bad just makes it all even worse. I feel like shit for feeling like shit, as I know by all accounts I should be happy as I am living the dream of so many aspiring writers, and yet I am just not.

Uhh...what can I say on this! Now I feel shit for making you feel shit for feeling shit. 
Bananalloy Wrote: It's a depressing reality of us putting out something we leave our heart in and see others spit it out simply due a disagreement of taste. At least I assume you write with emotion and not from some sociopathic desire to simply be better than other writers...

I understand and fully agree. And please know that I am not one of the positive ones either. If you see my previous week's posts, I was down in the dumps due to the writathon. But then one kind soul here gave me a shout-out in his story and pulled me up. (Thank you @Ralts Bloodthorne )

All I can say is, this day shall pass. And tomorrow you'll have something to celebrate.

David Wrote:

Ah, yeah. There was that, huh. Thanks for reminding me. I forgot there was a rule against it cause I saw some people still doing it, although mostly in the forums...

Venan Wrote: And its not the sites fault. Its the community.

I do think it is partly the site's fault. Vibe attracts the tribe. The 'tribe' is like this because there are some loopholes in the systems level of the site that fosters this type of community behavior and, for some reason, there is no initiative to fix. E.g. why isn't there a lgbtqia+ tag? It is not the community's fault. The site wouldn't offer for what? It is upto the authors to use it or not. But they won't even offer it. 😅 This is just an example that had an easy fix but the site is unwilling to make that change, even after multiple requests.

DrBuller Wrote: Maybe we are just starting to become elitist?

RR is pretty elitist, yeah. I remember being accused of fetishism at one point for having a female protag dating a girl. That, and a whole lot of criticism for writing a contemporary story set in Japan. Some folks flat out told me to drop the story and write Western fantasy instead.
Zogarth Wrote: I feel like shit for feeling like shit, as I know by all accounts I should be happy as I am living the dream of so many aspiring writers, and yet I am just not.

Not to step out of bounds here, but I saw a similar post of yours in the 0.5 stars thread. Are you sure you're not struggling with some personal problems like depression? I think you should at least consider getting some help before you do anything drastic.
Venan Wrote: Now this venn diagram definitely has some overlap, but the minority is very vocal in the reviews. They expect too much. Their standards are too high. They are incredibly negative towards new writers for not living up to the authors they put on a pedestal. They don't like the stories that get most of the traffic here.

RR is catered toward certain genres and styles, but some folks seem to believe that means you can only post stories of a certain kind.

That, and the majority of the people doing that are not writers. They simply do not have any experience writing. I'd say they have very little experience reading too.

So, essentially, a bunch of angry children have gotten onto the site to sit on internet arm-chairs and dictate how things should and shouldn't be written, never taking the risk to write something themselves. Gee, I wonder why they never do that.

It isn't that their standards are high, they just have an extremely specific view of how a story should go. It has to be exactly what they think / want out of it, or else you're a hack.

It's sort of like that one meme where it's a guy who's only ever seen Boss Baby, so that's his entire frame of reference for cinema. He compares literally every movie he watches to scenes from Boss Baby. Imagine that, but it's real, and it's a guy who's only read aggressively boring Euro-centric fantasy.

My brain tells me these people should just be ignored. My heart tells me these people should be ridiculed for being what they are: children.

Most of my readers have been INCREDIBLY KIND, and I owe them so much for all the feedback and appreciation they've showed me over the past few months.

Don't think this is me mad at everyone on the site, just a very very small minority of fools.

I think if anything this shows why more and more sites in general ditched any forms of star ratings because the concept is incredibly flawed and largely pointless. 

Not to mention the hilarious nonsense of the average somehow not being 3.0 but I am not getting into that topic to not lose the few marbles I have left. 

A simple thumbs up/down system is vastly superior for ratings since it doesn't give an unfair edge to easily pleased and the easily annoyed, they should count just as little as everyone else. 

It is also why I have just stopped looking at my own ratings entirely because it is a completely worthless metric void of any value to me, and I would advise people to do the same. If you want actual critique, then ask someone to review your story, that is a much better way to get feedback. 

I also find the fact of the loudest voices on this topic always being the ones already drowning in attention to be interesting to note. 

OntoSomethingGood Wrote:
Zogarth Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote:

"Don't let the troll get you" sounds good on paper, but is terrible advice and is not anywhere near as simple as you think it is. Myself and Zogarth would both make a lot more money if we decided to take out stories off of RR for Kindle Unlimited. However, we don't. But our consequences for not doing so is to receive actively hateful feedback which is harmful to our mental health and the success of our stories. 

By any and every sense of logic, it would be better for us to move away from RR as it is more profitable and better for us mentally. Instead, we choose to prioritize our readers whom we are grateful for. The question is then how much shit can we endure before it is too much until we decide to leave the site?

This issue of toxicity does not exist on ScribbleHub, Amazon, or even Goodreads which is known to be a place of harsh critics. It is almost unanimously agreed that the toxicity on RR is unprecedented by other serial posting sites, as well as even self publishing platforms. 

I have published on Amazon, received negative reviews on Goodreads, posted on forums like SpaceBattles, and even in Wattpad where I get no views. I have not been as demotivated to write as I have from the negativity I get from RoyalRoad. That is, unfortunately, a fact. 

Now is RoyalRoad an actively toxic community? No. No it is not. I have so many wonderful readers supporting me. The problem is that RoyalRoad as a platform empowers the toxic members, allowing them to speak louder than any other reader on the website. I am not claiming that this is done on purpose. That is just how the current rating system on RR works right now. 

I have promised my readers not to take my main fic from RR to Kindle Unlimited. I do not wish to break that promise. But I will prioritize my mental health at the end of the day. If it means me being happy with lots of money versus me being unhappy with less money, I'd obviously choose the former. As I am sure most others would.

Eldria Wrote: A simple thumbs up/down system is vastly superior for ratings since it doesn't give an unfair edge to easily pleased and the easily annoyed, they should count just as little as everyone else.

I never thought of it before, but I actually quite like the voting system of Wattpad. A reader can vote and/or comment on an individual chapter. It just adds to the total votes for the fiction. There is no 'downvote' option. They don't have the concept of reviews/ratings for the book itself. This alleviates a lot of negativity. People are not bothered with bad ratings/reviews, just fewer votes. 

Maybe RR could consider something similar?

I think three things helped me break out of the negativity loop. 

One was where I'd read about this person that was testing the waters on critics. He copied over a full short story that had already won awards and praises - and submitted it to be critiqued by the internet. This was a chapter that was by all objective standards, excellent. They tore it to shreds, saying that it'll never get published as is. That was kind of an eye-opener for me, making it clear that "There is such a thing as bad advice, and some people have just shit opinions." So now I know it's okay to view some feedback as simply wrong. Which is comforting in some abstract way. 

Second was that people who want to complain, will always find something to complain about. I'd read over and over not to write a mary sue, and to give people flaws. So hum-dee-dum, I go and do exactly that. Next thing I know, someone's complaining that the character's annoying, and that they're being stupid and should have been smarter about how they went to do things. Sort of a bruh moment lol 

Third thing that really clinched it all up - when was the last time you actually cared about another story's star score? Practically the only thing that makes me decide if I want to read something is to check the synopsis, see if it's interesting, and read the first positive review to see if someone vouches for it. If those two match up, I go reading. I basically ignore the negative reviews in general. So how do you go about reading new stories? Because that's more then likely how everyone else does it too. 

Plenty of stories get on the trending list with less stars overall, or other low scores. People still read. I think the star system overall is just not used like we think it is, it only feels like it is. So what's it matter if someone drive-by's a .5 star review? People still gonna read your story if it's a 3 star novel or a 5 star novel, what'll matter way more is finding your story in the first place and if the synopsis is interesting enough. And both of those variables we have personal control over in some way.