Re: Where do I start?

So I have a story, yeah?
A plot that I think is mildly interesting but also based on a well-known trope go back to the past and save everyone, blah, blah. 

In my head I know what it's supposed to be about and I also made a synopsis for it, but I really don't know when I should start writing. It's my first ever attempt at writing a story. I've read many forms of fiction manga, manhwas, novels. Obviously, I've been heavily inspired by those. But when it comes to making something on your own from scratch, putting thoughts onto paper, I get a little very lost. When I say, "I don't know when I should start writing," I mean, do I think more about the plot and then write or do I just write and make stuff up as I go?

I did try writing my first chapter, but I discarded it after a few paragraphs.
For my first story, I want to learn how to write as I write, but I also, deep down, want it to be an amazing story. Which is what I think is holding me back from just writing away.
DrakanSigh

You want it to be an amazing story? Yeah... no. That's not how we do it.

I can promise you this. If you write every day for the next year, maybe putting in an hour or to each day, you will perhaps come out with a passable level of skill. Expecting your first work to be good is the road to stopping halfway. Having high expectations for yourself, to begin with, is not a good idea. It will burn you out so hecking quickly.

Return to the past stories are not my speciality, but I do believe you could get away with minor planning. As long as you have a basic idea about some of the events, there should be no reason for why you couldn't begin writing now. I personally began writing the first chapter of my current story ten minutes after I came up with the idea. 

But... that's also my personal experience. I know I will sound so bloody annoying when I say this, but people work best with different things. Some like to plan everything out first and then write it slowly and methodically. I writing the story, coming up with details as I go along. Some are also very elitist about the right way to write your story. Watch some trope videos. If you know you are going to be writing within a specific genre, maybe check out the similarities between the stories of that specific genre. Check out what you like, and try to make it your own.

That should be enough skin-deep help for today. 
Hope it helps!

Harlox Wrote: So I have a story, yeah?
A plot that I think is mildly interesting but also based on a well-known trope go back to the past and save everyone, blah, blah. 

In my head I know what it's supposed to be about and I also made a synopsis for it, but I really don't know when I should start writing. It's my first ever attempt at writing a story. I've read many forms of fiction manga, manhwas, novels. Obviously, I've been heavily inspired by those. But when it comes to making something on your own from scratch, putting thoughts onto paper, I get a little very lost. When I say, "I don't know when I should start writing," I mean, do I think more about the plot and then write or do I just write and make stuff up as I go?

I did try writing my first chapter, but I discarded it after a few paragraphs.
For my first story, I want to learn how to write as I write, but I also, deep down, want it to be an amazing story. Which is what I think is holding me back from just writing away.
DrakanSigh

I know the urge you feel to make your story the best it can be when you start, and yeah, that's what hold some folks back. I think there is no need for you to worry about the quality of your writing or the story at this point. Just start writing. As for plotting or discovery writing, it's for you to find what suits you. So try a bit of both maybe. It wouldn't hurt you. Also, if you're having trouble figuring out from where to begin your story, start with your main character. Make it his monologue, his biography, etc. Don't think whatever you're writing must go into the story.  While writing, especially if it's your first work, you don't need to worry about making it the best. Go in with the mindset that the end product may as well be crap, but also believe there would be some good things. Just write it all, and when you're done, then you can choose what goes in and what doesn't. That's editing...

And trust me, just writing is nothing compared to how hard editing is...

DrBuller Wrote: Having high expectations for yourself, to begin with, is not a good idea. It will burn you out so hecking quickly.

Thank you for your advice, really.
I Wrote: As for plotting or discovery writing, it's for you to find what suits you. So try a bit of both maybe. It wouldn't hurt you. Also, if you're having trouble figuring out from where to begin your story, start with your main character. Make it his monologue, his biography, etc. Don't think whatever you're writing must go into the story.  While writing, especially if it's your first work, you don't need to worry about making it the best. Go in with the mindset that the end product may as well be crap, but also believe there would be some good things.

Yes, I understand now. Thank you for your advice.

You both have motivated me a little to just start writing. Thanks a lot!!
DrakanMelt

My first piece of advice is sage wisdom from people like editors and slush pile readers and the like. A story rarely begins until about Chapter Three. Odds are, when you get around to writing Chapter Six, Chapters One and Two can get tossed, with the important bits mixed in to the others.

My next piece of advice is from me. Ninety percent of the story you write -- the worlds you build, the history and motivation of your characters -- will exist solely for you. It will not be a part of the story that other people will actually read. You will write it to benefit yourself, make your characters seem realistic, the world you ceate more believable and you a better writer.

I have written millions upon millions of words. Half of it is pure gibberish. Of the other, half of that is worth keeping, and of that, half of it is actually well-written stories. Lots of them.

And of that -- where are we now? at an eighth? -- half of those stories I've written are worth letting people read. 

And of that? One of them is my story called DOTS, which I am currently posting on Royal Road, as I edit the bejezus out of it. 

So long story short, just keep on writing. Remember, you are doing it mostly for yourself. That's what a hobby is -- something you do for yourself.

❤🦆😸❤

Oskatat Wrote: So I started writing anyway.

I'm going to just start writing too. Thanks~

ArDeeBurger Wrote: I have written millions upon millions of words. Half of it is pure gibberish. Of the other, half of that is worth keeping, and of that, half of it is actually well-written stories. Lots of them.

And of that -- where are we now? at an eighth? -- half of those stories I've written are worth letting people read. 

And of that? One of them is my story called DOTS, which I am currently posting on Royal Road, as I edit the bejezus out of it. 

So long story short, just keep on writing. Remember, you are doing it mostly for yourself. That's what a hobby is -- something you do for yourself.

❤🦆😸❤

Thanks a lot for you advice :P
:)

Well, you can imagine it like a stage play. Plot is the idea that the director came up with, characters are actors that bring them to life, setting/worldbuilding is the background and props.
The stage play is easier to work with if the director has a detailed script, that's plotting beforehand. Or if actors are good enough to improvize with, that's character driven story. 

Seerica Wrote: Well, you can imagine it like a stage play. Plot is the idea that the director came up with, characters are actors that bring them to life, setting/worldbuilding is the background and props.

That is a nice analogy.
AshroBugger Wrote: But just write and write then you’ll get better

Will do, thank you~
ArDeeBurger Wrote: Thank you! But it's meant to be more like encouragement. Every writer starts out bad and then gets better.

Yep :)