Re: Can We Get Rid of Best Rated?

I am tired of the overly critical reviews and the .5 bombs. The 300 iq scathing reviews picking apart stories are not to give the author valid critique, but instead serve as more of a venting platform for the disgruntled reader. Perhaps, I am biased. But it feels like its been getting worse these past few years. These readers are using the reviews as a weapon to get back at the author for not writing the story as they believe it should be.

We should just use popularity instead. I feel like sheer views is far more of an honest indicator anyways.

Almost anything else would be better than the current system at the moment.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Well, I kinda want to keep best rated. If we go by popularity, MoT wouldn't even reach the first page, yet it has the number one placing in ranking due to its sheer brilliance. If we remove best rated, we would have to discard the ones at the top that actually deserve their titles. While .5 ratings have no place being used for bombings, I don't see it as a good enough reason to remove the result of having a good rating.

If looking for ideas, I would propose that people go over to the other post in general that should perhaps have been in the debate thread.

Venan Wrote: I am tired of the overly critical reviews and the .5 bombs. The 300 iq scathing reviews picking apart stories are not to give the author valid critique, but instead serve as more of a venting platform for the disgruntled reader. Perhaps, I am biased. But it feels like its been getting worse these past few years. These readers are using the reviews as a weapon to get back at the author for not writing the story as they believe it should be.

We should just use popularity instead. I feel like sheer views is far more of an honest indicator anyways.

As a reader, I feel that reviews are important, I often start reading after I read a review or two, but usually, I would not post a negative review, I would rather post an encouraging positive review to help the author to stay motivated so I could continue reading the story, as it goes every good deed is actually selfish  DrakanMelt  If you would ask me what I would write in a review, I would probably emphasize the things I like and maybe a little bit of constructive critique, and in terms of ratings, I probably would never go lower than 3.5, even if I didn't like the story, though, I most probably would not even bother posting it, I'll just look for a new story.  DrakanLaugh  

You mean similar to this:

https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/active-popular

or this:

https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/weekly-popular

or you could use the advanced search to customize exactly how you want to search here, including listing fictions on total views:

https://www.royalroad.com/fictions/search?advanced=True

Now, if you want that to be one of the standard options I'd support you, but I don't think that's a valid reason to remove best rated.

If it's only a matter of views, you punish people for writing long chapters. Posting two 1500 word chapters gets twice the number of views of one 3000 word chapter. Why not go down to 1000 words and get thrice the amount?

I'm fine with replacing the current rating system with a different rating system, but I'm not fine with no rating system. There are many stories I consider better than Randidly Ghosthound, to name a long-running story with a massive amount of chapters. Much better. But they don't have a huge amount of chapters before the story got finished (imagine finishing a story. Hah). How do you propose that people will be able to find those stories if the most important thing that matters is how many chapters you turned out?

DrakanNo

You've given no meaningful reasons why best rated should be removed. I'm not necessarily against it, if there's a better alternative. But the things you mentioned are just silly. Best rated is its own thing, why would you want to replace it with popularity, something that can already be searched for. Not to mention that quality is something that should be propped up over milking views.. 

Venan Wrote: Could that not be solved by using some type of algorithm that takes total chapters into account? Or hell we could go the youtube/netflix route and just use like/dislike and use that total instead. Apparently we can't handle stars otherwise such major services wouldn't have changed it.

You're seriously trying to use netflix and youtube as a comparison point? No. 

ArDeeBurger Wrote: I love a tender horse. As @gej302 already knows, they taste just like ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™ .

Actually, I didn't know that.  I assumed that beaten dead horses were not good material for cutting into long strips and boiling in oil.  So I don't do that.  I vastly prefer to stand on my soapbox and throw out the ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™ to/at worthy targets.

gej302 Wrote:
ArDeeBurger Wrote: I love a tender horse. As @gej302 already knows, they taste just like ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™ .

Actually, I didn't know that.  I assumed that beaten dead horses were not good material for cutting into long strips and boiling in oil.  So I don't do that.  I vastly prefer to stand on my soapbox and throw out the ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™ to/at worthy targets.

I think we ALL have a Repotato
https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2F8vkEnMDt2L...%2Fgiphy.gif

gej302 Wrote:

Horse tartare anyone?

Venan Wrote: We should just use popularity instead. I feel like sheer views is far more of an honest indicator anyways.

I'm not sure if the Best Rated algorithm has been disclosed, but there is clearly some sort of popularity taken into account, not just the average rating.  If you search for fictions sorted by average rating (decreasing), you'll find over 4,000 stories (200 pages of results) with a rating between 4.9 and 5.0, which is above Mother of Learning's 4.82 average rating. Of those, the most viewed/most followed story has 200k+ views and 300+ followers, called "Battlefield Restart," which I have never heard of before.

And speaking of search, I'm mostly sure that sorting by "popularity" is the same as "best rated" (but don't ask me why we have inconsistent terminology).  

luda305 Wrote:
Venan Wrote: We should just use popularity instead. I feel like sheer views is far more of an honest indicator anyways.

I'm not sure if the Best Rated algorithm has been disclosed, but there is clearly some sort of popularity taken into account, not just the average rating.  If you search for fictions sorted by average rating (decreasing), you'll find over 4,000 stories (200 pages of results) with a rating between 4.9 and 5.0, which is above Mother of Learning's 4.82 average rating. Of those, the most viewed/most followed story has 200k+ views and 300+ followers, called "Battlefield Restart," which I have never heard of before.

And speaking of search, I'm mostly sure that sorting by "popularity" is the same as "best rated" (but don't ask me why we have inconsistent terminology).

It also takes into account how many ratings the story has. Otherwise, random stories with a single review would be at the top.

Venan Wrote: I am tired of the overly critical reviews and the .5 bombs. The 300 iq scathing reviews picking apart stories are not to give the author valid critique, but instead serve as more of a venting platform for the disgruntled reader. Perhaps, I am biased. But it feels like its been getting worse these past few years. These readers are using the reviews as a weapon to get back at the author for not writing the story as they believe it should be.

Not sure if this is rr specific. It could be a general trend. If you go to goodreads, the largest social media site for books, there's a lot of reviewers on there that get clout by writing long, scathing and "funny" reviews. It's like a social media sport now to see how badly you can trash a book and make others laugh.

Pretty sad, really.

LambentTyto Wrote: Not sure if this is rr specific. It could be a general trend. If you go to goodreads, the largest social media site for books, there's a lot of reviewers on there that get clout by writing long, scathing and "funny" reviews. It's like a social media sport now to see how badly you can trash a book and make others laugh.

Pretty sad, really.

Yeah, I've seen that around on RR. It's kind of pathetic, but it does happen.

I can understand following a certain reviewer for their ability to write very in-depth reviews / you share a lot of opinions and have similar taste. There's quite a few people on this site who've developed quite a following writing very very high quality reviews of less popular or obscure stories on the site. It's really cool!

Following some angry jerk seems like it'd just be more trouble than it's worth. I guess you can say it's funny, but historically, it usually only works when they make fun of stuff that's really bad or "so bad it's good", not literally every story under the sun. If you do that, you're just going to make yourself bitter and angry, and ruin your ability to enjoy things. I wouldn't recommend it.

I should point out that the people who write these scathing reviews aren't "intelligent" or "good readers". They're more often than not literal children or people who aren't mature enough to enjoy things that don't perfectly align with their tastes. We, as a community, shouldn't give them any reaction or power over us. They don't deserve it.

As a relatively new reader on this website, I can tell you that Best Rated was critical for me wanting to stay.  I chose two stories on that list as my first reads, and as a result, am now willing to stay and read various stories, including those not on Best Rated, because I know that there are some true gems on here.

Think of going to a new restaurant with 1000 different dishes, of assorted quality.  If I ate first from the "chef's favorites menu", I'm more likely to keep coming back to try dishes, then if I tried several dishes at random and got some bad ones.