Re: Questions about stories hosted on other sites and mature content.

Hey, I'm new. I wondered if I could ask you guys a few questions before I get started? I checked the FAQ and saw some notes about how authors who host content on other sites must provide proof of ownership over those stories by taking out support tickets.

I've been writing for a while and I have content hosted for free on half a dozen different websites, including my own, and I also sell optional paid versions on Amazon. I'm very impressed with the site so far, it seems great, and I'm looking forward to getting my backlog of content uploaded here. My question is: does a support ticket have to be taken out with each upload, or is there a one-time way to prove your identity that applies account-wide? I think it's a very good system and I already appreciate the plagiarism protection, I'm just trying to gauge what uploading my content here is going to entail. Will it also cause further complications if my content is hosted in multiple other places? 

Another question I had concerns mature content. I see that the site does allow it, but in the FAQ it also states "please make sure your novel DOES NOT centralize or use mature content as a core element."

I'm unsure of exactly what this means. I write erotic content, but it comprises a relatively small percentage of the stories (maybe 15-20% on average). I pride myself on writing serious stories where erotic scenes are not the main focus, but I would still classify them as erotic novels, as those relationships are often central to the plot. Does my content just not belong here in that case?

Thanks in advance. 

Snekguy Wrote: Hey, I'm new. I wondered if I could ask you guys a few questions before I get started? I checked the FAQ and saw some notes about how authors who host content on other sites must provide proof of ownership over those stories by taking out support tickets.

Welcome! I hope you'll post in the introductions section to get a proper welcome from our community :) I'll try my best to answer your questions and hope I can help.

Snekguy Wrote: does a support ticket have to be taken out with each upload, or is there a one-time way to prove your identity that applies account-wide? I think it's a very good system and I already appreciate the plagiarism protection, I'm just trying to gauge what uploading my content here is going to entail. Will it also cause further complications if my content is hosted in multiple other places?

I can't give you a definite answer, but my assumption from what I've seen is that each novel will need a proof of ownership. RR needs to know that it in fact does belong to you and you're not plagiarizing someone else. Now assuming you submit a ticket, you may be able to discuss with the mods where all of your work is posted. Let's say for example, Wattpad. They'll be able to see each book you published there and most likely be able to confirm the ownership of each of those books. The mods here are incredibly cool and friendly.

Snekguy Wrote: I'm unsure of exactly what this means. I write erotic content, but it comprises a relatively small percentage of the stories (maybe 15-20% on average). I pride myself on writing serious stories where erotic scenes are not the main focus, but I would still classify them as erotic novels, as those relationships are often central to the plot. Does my content just not belong here in that case?

This one I cannot answer because I don't have the knowledge to be able to give you a correct answer and I don't want to say something wrong. However, my assumption is, because you write erotica it falls under the category of sexualized content and as long as it's tagged as such it should be fine. That being said, we don't have an erotica tag or genre here on the site so we can't even search for those kinds of books even if we wanted to. Either way, you'll have to talk to the mods about it and clarify their standing on this topic for a more accurate answer.

I hope you'll enjoy it here whether as an author or a reader. Cheers! ::DrakanWine::

AeroKaia Wrote: That being said, we don't have an erotica tag or genre here on the site so we can't even search for those kinds of books even if we wanted to. Either way, you'll have to talk to the mods about it and clarify their standing on this topic for a more accurate answer.

There is a content warning section for sexual content, gore, profanity, and traumatising content. As long as you tag them appropriately, then it's ok...

I Wrote:
AeroKaia Wrote: That being said, we don't have an erotica tag or genre here on the site so we can't even search for those kinds of books even if we wanted to. Either way, you'll have to talk to the mods about it and clarify their standing on this topic for a more accurate answer.

There is a content warning section for sexual content, gore, profanity, and traumatising content. As long as you tag them appropriately, then it's ok...

My assumption here is that erotica would be considered centralizing your content around mature content and using it as a core element in the story. The FAQ specifically says to not do that so I'm not sure here peoconfused

From what you've said, you could be fine. If the story is about personal relationships, character development, relationship drama, whatever, where the sex scenes are there to give extra depth to the relations, create tension (you cheated on me/let's do it again even though we shouldn't) and have actual meaning, it will be fine. I'm not sure if 20% is too much, it could be.

If the plot of the story is just an excuse to have the characters engage in intercourse with different people or at different locations to satisfy all kinds of kinks, I'd say it's too much no matter how good the plot is and you'd probably get in trouble with it.