Re: Debate: #1 Element for a Good Story

As I prefer stories with well developed characters, I would have to agree. As you noted, plot and world building also play a part in developing characters so all these elements have to work together. A weak plot or poorly defined world won't make for a good story no matter how great the characters are. The same is true if you have a good plot and world, but cardboard characters. It really more of a 1A, 1B, and 1C. In the end, it depends on what the author chooses to emphasize. However, the other elements also need to be strong.

I agree as well. 

They are definitely many great stories out there that are either plot-heavy or rich in lore, has an interesting concept or a unique creative vision behind it, but if the characters are not well-developed or they don't make me feel emotionally attached or simply not charming or fun enough, then it's tough for me to carry on.

K.M. Wrote: I'm not going to disagree either :)
Of course good story, plot and world are important, but if I don't feel for the characters or they don't feel believable, then I don't get invested in the story and all the other things seem trivial.

Kudos to you for clarity! You said it a lot better than I did.

It's not that everything else isn't important, but if you give me this incredible world and/or plot with sucky characters, I'm gonna feel gypped!

I agree in general, but for me personally, style is massively important. I will read about the most bland people in the world with the most boring office jobs ever if the writing itself is funny and insightful. If the style is frustrating, difficult to follow, or even just boring, then either the characters or the setting have to be among the best I've ever read or I'm putting it down.

Lmarief Wrote: It's not that everything else isn't important, but if you give me this incredible world and/or plot with sucky characters, I'm gonna feel gypped!

Definitely! I could probably read/watch a story about a character just painting a house, as long as the character was interesting and I felt for their struggles :D

But jokes aside, I feel like I've read and watched too many stories where the creators have focused too much on building the environment/world/background for the characters, and then completely forgotten about the depth of the characters itself.

I'm not saying I can do it well, but I'm trying to focus on the characters more :)

Derin_Edala Wrote: I agree in general, but for me personally, style is massively important. I will read about the most bland people in the world with the most boring office jobs ever if the writing itself is funny and insightful. If the style is frustrating, difficult to follow, or even just boring, then either the characters or the setting have to be among the best I've ever read or I'm putting it down.

Interesting insight. I hadn't considered overall readability, but for sure!

Sky573 Wrote: Well, no matter how much well-built and written a world is, it'll remain dull as long as there's no interesting character in it. So, I don't disagree with you. Everything else apart from character are secondary.

And personally, I like creating personage more than anything else.

Writing people is my favorite part too. Maybe too much so.... 🤔