Re: Best Female Lead Stories NOT TAGGED "Female Lead"

I feel your pain. I really do. Like 45% of stories on here don't use male/female lead tags and it's not because their leads are all non-binary or agender. I think most of them are older stories, so maybe the tags didn't exist 5 years ago?

Still, back to the topic at hand!

Re: Lovely (cw: lots of sexual content)
Dig a Little Deeper
Thera Of Rose Manor

Sereminar Wrote: I feel your pain. I really do. Like 45% of stories on here don't use make/female lead tags and it's not because their leads are all nin-binary or agender. I think most of them are older stories, so maybe the tags didn't exist 5 years ago?

Still, back to the topic at hand!

Re: Lovely
Did a Little Deeper
Thera Of Rose Manor

I would totally believe that they are relatively new tags. The first two I'll check out.

I've read Thera and it's... rather unique. I actually read through the whole thing and damn I gave it a low rating at the end. That's unique in itself because anything that bad usually has me abandoning it for greener pastures.  But it started out really strong and I swear that every 25 chapters we just jumped the shark and the story and characters made less sense. But, again, the start was very strong. 

Fiddle around with the advanced search a bit and to my disappointment found out that no, female/male lead tags aren't relatively new, they've been here the whole time. I suppose there just a bunch of authors who don't bother :'(

Also I guess here's some more. had to click thorough every story on my favorites/follow list to find them cuz there wasn't any easier way Dx 

Ordered longest to shortest:

Crashed Into Fantasy Land
 (mediocre handling of g gender bender tag, dropped)
Twisted Cogs
 (my biggest rec, finished on authors website)
Labyrinth of Light: Stormbringer
(Fantastic, I'm heartbroken it was dropped)
The World Beyond The Veil
(Best handling of gender bender tag by a cis author, dropped)
The Draw of the Unknown
(Really cool card based magic system, dropped)
A Demons Promise
(Ongoing, slow updates)

1. Crashed into Fantasy Land:  Agreed that gender bender is not well handled.  That said, the premise of getting sucked into a sci-fi game but crash landing onto a fantasy world and having to repair your ship to leave is both rather interesting and I thought well executed. 
  2. Labyrinth of Light: Stormbringer:  Haven't read, but looking it and the author's page over, I was surprised it was dropped.  Couldn't find it updated elsewhere on the internet either.
  3. The World Beyond the Veil: Just powered through that.  Very good handling of gender bender tag; I think it's a debate if there's a singular best way to handle that tag. Overall, the story has a few major flaws, though I think that the first chapter is one of the strongest on all of Royal Road.
  4. A Demons Promise:  Is it just me, or is the synopsis very poorly written? I mean like sentence structure and grammar?   Also, is it "A demons promise" or "A demons Promise"? And why isn't "demons" possessive?
Parting thought: of your nine recommendations, two are gender bender tagged.  I wonder if authors hesitate to tag either "male lead" or "female lead" when using "gender bender."

Sereminar Wrote: Like 45% of stories on here don't use make/female lead tags and it's not because their leads are all nin-binary or agender.

Personally, I deliberately do not use either tag. I typically have multiple POV characters. It's not uncommon for gender to be not easily defined. Even when they are, I generally do not consider that a significant aspect of the story I'm telling most of the time - it feels like forcing the whole story into a binary categorization system that I don't want anything to do with.

Probably lots are just people not bothering, but sometimes it might be for other reasons.

For the record, I also refuse to use the gender-bender tag since I consider it insulting to my genuinely trans characters. I just make the content clear in the description. If it reduces the odds of being found in some searches, I can live with that.

Some day I'll learn to proof read my posts lol 2 typos in one sentence is a bit rough even for me >_<

I totally get not wanting to stick to such a harsh binary for all your main characters, and 35% of authors who have multiple lead characters don't bother to tag male/female leads as well. But as a reader I can't exactly use the non-binary lead tag, and avoiding the stories with male leads is a great way to dodge like 80+% of the gross misogyny on this site (at the cost of missing out on some decent stories).

I definitely understand not wanting to use gender bender tag for trans characters, I once was reading a story with a trans male mc who has been transitioned for years and a commenter was like "you should tag it gb" even though it was in no way about the mc being trans. Like...what?

Idk, I guess I'd just prefer a more robust tagging system in general.

All that being said here's a few more for the list! Though I've only read the first one, I just found these in the first 10 pages of most popular (sans m/f lead tags)

Breakdown
I remember reading this like 3 years ago and it went hard enough that I still feel how trapped and desperate the mc was. Fantastic story, though I think it was dropped part way in, and I think the pacing could have used some work? Premise is cool in a terrifying dystopian police state sort of way.

Dreams of the Abyss
(Non-litrpg) dungeon core story. Well reviewed, apparently a strong psychological aspect.