Re: Reasons to like or dislike RR...

So you guys know about this little old site called RoyalRoad, doncha? Either you've been here for a long time(like me) or recently ended up here after falling down the rabbit hole of web serials, or just looking for a way to get your stories out there. Either way, for whatever reason, whether to write or read, you're here...

Technically this question is more appropriate to those who've been on the site for a while and somewhat had good or bad experiences in the time they spent here, but what the heck, those who came here recently also had reasons to choose this site and that could be as good a material as any...

What do you like or dislike about Royalroad, and why???

Yeah, that's the question. Things you think this site got right, things that just piss you off, readers, writers, artists, admins, the forum, the rating system, why you like them, why you hate them, don't worry about anything and just spill the beans...

Go wild...  peoeating DrakanFascinating

Re: Been thinking about making this thread for so long...

I do not like:
1. NO LGBTQIA+ TAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2. Broken rating system
3. Commenting could be more robust. E.g. as a writer I have to keep going back and forth between the comment section for suggested edits and back up to see what section it pertains to
4. The system does nothing to highlight new high quality stories that belong in obscure genres. Trending IS trending but trending is not the HIDDEN GEMS. And that is a shame.
I like the rest of it. 
peoapproval

What brought me to this site was because a novel I was reading on a different site was getting little to no engagement. The novel was called Respawn Condition: Trash Mob. When I left a comment the author said the community on Royal Road talked about that stuff a lot. I went onto the site and started reading, and I just generally liked how the novel got engagement, got engagement. There are way more people on here and such. Though I'm not an old user of the site it was the engagement on the story that brought me in. I'm not denying that novel has a really hard time taking off on the site, getting almost no engagement at all. That a very big con I have, as fantasybliss said, gems get covered up. Though without this site I would have probably never discovered novels I love, like MoL or Super Minion. I also like the look of the site. I haven't really been on here long enough to make a decisive opinion yet so don't count on my word.

I sometimes see stories with one rating and it's .5 stars, and it makes me sad.

1 star or 2 stars, okay, but .5 stars I believe is only reasonable if the story is unintelligible or unbelievably nasty. I think it's just spiteful people enjoying tanking a new writer's work just for the sake of it. Which is to be expected, this is the internet obviously. If I come across them though I'll just read a couple of chapters to make sure that the rating is underserved then rate it 5 stars to try to even it out a bit.

Yeah, that's all, really, I don't know much about this website, I'm fairly new.

I did see a thread where someone talked about how when a story rises quickly through the rankings, other writers will dive bomb it with bad ratings inorder to limit the competition and I was like wow 💀 it's really a dog eat dog world out here even in RR

Pros:
I like how useable the site is. It's almost never down for maintenance, it's got a good look and navigable interface (though many of the lesser used functions/settings can be hard to find). The forums are simple to use, and if you look through them all you can generally figure out where different types of threads belong without much issue. Also you don't have to make a new account just to access the forums, so that's nice. The gamey levels and stuff do feel rewarding when I am actively commenting/reviewing. Binge reading is very easy, as is following authors now. Keeping up with a bunch of different stories is simple too, and I adore how it keeps your place so I never skip a chapter or forget where I was. I'm a sucker for reincarnation and Isekai stories so a lot of the fictions appeal to me.

Cons:
The user base is generally very conservative gamer bro culture. There's very little diversity in characters/settings/cultures, like I can count on one hand how many stories I've read with a black mc. There aren't tags for lgbt+ content, and there's a lot of backlash for the authors who write it. If you block a user they can still see your comments and you can see all their forum posts. 

Overall I enjoy the site a ton, I mean I spend a bunch of time on here, but also I really hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

Sereminar Wrote: Pros:
I like how useable the site is. It's almost never down for maintenance, it's got a good look and navigable interface (though many of the lesser used functions/settings can be hard to find). The forums are simple to use, and if you look through them all you can generally figure out where different types of threads belong without much issue. Also you don't have to make a new account just to access the forums, so that's nice. The gamey levels and stuff do feel rewarding when I am actively commenting/reviewing. Binge reading is very easy, as is following authors now. Keeping up with a bunch of different stories is simple too, and I adore how it keeps your place so I never skip a chapter or forget where I was. I'm a sucker for reincarnation and Isekai stories so a lot of the fictions appeal to me.

Cons:
The user base is generally very conservative gamer bro culture. There's very little diversity in characters/settings/cultures, like I can count on one hand how many stories I've read with a black mc. There aren't tags for lgbt+ content, and there's a lot of backlash for the authors who write it. If you block a user they can still see your comments and you can see all their forum posts. 

Overall I enjoy the site a ton, I mean I spend a bunch of time on here, but also I really hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

I am kind of new here (well at least my account is lol) and I have to say, although there is a LOT I love about this site as both a reader and a writer,  I have so far been disappointed in the overall lack of diversity. It is a common issue in mainstream Western fiction but I was hoping that indy writers had started to bridge the gap. But now to hear that it goes beyond a lack of representation and can even lead to backlash is really disheartening. 

RenamedUser8903457 Wrote: I did see a thread where someone talked about how when a story rises quickly through the rankings, other writers will dive bomb it with bad ratings inorder to limit the competition and I was like wow 💀 it's really a dog eat dog world out here even in RR

It's probably more mundane than that.  When you have a fiction, the Royal Road readership can be conceptually divided into those who would like the story and those who wouldn't.  But as an unknown fiction, you are more likely to be found by those who would like the story (whether because of targeted searches, or they like you as an author already, or a good recommendation based on another story).  When you start to get exposure to the general Royal Road readership, you'll start to bring in readers who won't like your story and, of course, when they read it, they don't like it and so leave a low rating. This is why trending stories infamously have a rating bomb; because your prior readership was selectively more inclined to like your story, it was inflated.  I've been there.

That said, there might actually be a conspiracy to keep Mother of Learning at the top spot.  Open, perhaps, but it's still there. 

Lists in no particular order.

Pros:
  • Lots of stories of different genres.
  • Relatively easy to sign up and read. Also has some nice features (e.g. suggest edits, provide reviews, links to patreon, paypal, etc.)
  • Forum is not just easy to use but relatively active and generally friendly.
  • Relatively large number of active members who will comment and rate.
  • Almost always available. Site is not often completely inaccessible.
  • Can turn off spam notifications.
  • Don't think they have sold my data yet.
  • Free stories. No paywalls, at least not by the site itself.
  • Most forum users are quite nice. Somewhat less so for commenters, but generally more good apples than bad ones.
  • Some good ways to find new stories (e.g. "latest updates" and "trending" lists for 'newer' stories; "popular this week" and "favourites" of commenters you see alot for 'older' stories). The recommendations subforum also seems particularly good.
  • Lack of fan wars, where fans of any particular story go after fans of another story or genre. At least none that I know of.
  • No 'elitist' authors who disparage and go out of their way to discourage new authors.
  • Take plagiarism seriously and vet stories to make sure they are not copied from somewhere else without permission.
  • Relatively fast on critical issues reported.
Cons:
  • Broken rating system that I have given up trying to change and now have adapted to (but still not happy about it). Though that is more a people issue, than a system issue.
  • Commenting feature can be painful. For example, going to the chapter after commenting requires a fair amount of scrolling. Loading new pages of comments can also take a while, though that might be a problem with my setup.
  • The recommendation feature on the home page could use some work.
  • People downvote or give bad reviews for having LGBT characters.
  • Loki's Honor has been taken down too many times.
  • Good stories can sometimes go on hiatus, sometimes with little warning.
  • Other sites now seem terrible in comparison. Wuxiaworld's commenting system is nowhere near as good and Webnovel's reading interface, commenting system and forum are worse in terms of design, function and activity.
  • No more XP and Rep levels for me to get. Pokemon also got boring once you reach the top.
  • Sometimes causes me to lose track of time.
  • People give more rep for pictures than actual constructive feedback.
  • No standardisation of tags. One author's gore is another author's tea party. Also think 'progression' is used in very different ways. Though to be fair this is another people rather than system issue as there are definitions provided (in the advanced search function at least).
  • Searching for old threads in the forum can be difficult.
  • At a certain level, you cannot respond to an individual comment but to all the comments in that thread. And then everyone in that thread gets notified about it.
  • No way to rate chapters, so I think some readers might take it out on the overall story rating instead.

I really like the Follow List page.  I, and a friend of mine also, find the process of starting an advanced search to be confusing.  I wish I could do a search-notify thing like ebay has so I could get pinged whenever a new dungeon core story (for example) is created.  I would also enjoy a tag filter list like SoFurry has so I could prioritize things tagged portal fiction, isekai, dungeon, etc. and de-prioritize things tagged horror, tragedy, maybe urban or modern if there are such tags.  And I'm totally in favor of tagging romance stories by relationship type.

As being a greeny, I don't know a lot, but I'll give my best. 

Pros: Well first off, it's a easy system to use and you don't need to upgrade to get basic features like scheduling when to release a story. It's almost never down. Nobody, so far, has no [negative] criticism. Instead, it's constructive criticism, which I've found helpful. And that's all I can think of.

Cons: Missing some tags. There are some tags I think are missing like dark comedy, Gothic, Monster, Cozy, Howdunit, Whodunit, Biopunk, Conspiracy, and Revenge. (I mean it's nice that it's not overloaded with tags but everything starts feeling the same. In a sense it feels limiting if you have a story that goes well with certain tags but they're not here. Everything has been done. Maybe I wanna write something different, if they don't have certain tags I may get discouraged from writing it). Chapter rating: I just like the sound of it. No hidden gems: Whenever I look at the home screen I see the same stories. I feel that if the opening of the website not only included "Best Rated", "Popular This Week", "Trending", and "Latest Updates", but others. People, well most I know, don't tend to look very far or search up in the search engine. Even a roster like on Netflix, even if it was only a few stories that got swapped every week for a new one regardless of how good or crappy it is. These are some of the main weakness of the site. It's simple, but it's simple to the point to where it also hurts itself as much as it is helpful.

I have zero interest of any kind in litrpgs and have never used Wattpad, so that's like... 80% of the RR culture that I just don't care about. :P

In all seriousness though, this is a pretty neat space. I just wish we had a discord (people say we do but I can't find it? And some people say we did but now we don't? Or something?), and wish there were more options for getting fiction seen. I like this forum, and I like how organised everything is. I like the popularity of the site, providing a steady reader base. The ability to link my fiction back to my own website and my patreon is also great; I wouldn't be here if I couldn't do that. (Basically everything I like about this site is my "list of reasons I gave up on Neovel so fast".)

TheRottingBard Wrote:
Derin_Edala Wrote: I have zero interest of any kind in litrpgs

I kind of caved to it and start writing one for the hell of it. Honestly, it's become immensely fun to write. Hopefully if people like it they will be more receptive when I post my other stories on here.

I admit I am considering writing one (I write easier than I read), but then I have to read enough to be familiar witht he genre, and it just isn't my cup of tea. I'd hate to be the litrpg equivalent of That Guy who comes in to write a genius groundbreaking fantasy or scifi that turns out to be the most generic thing ever written because he didn't bother to actually see what the genre was about first and just assumed his idea was a step forward instead of backward.

I want you all to imagine something.

Imagine if your life and job was largely dependant on a number. Anyone can see this number when they pass by you. You always see your own number. It is a number that random people can even affect. A random passerby on the street can give you a 5, and that makes you feel good for a bit as you go on with your day and keep working hard. Another gives a 4, and then another a 4.5. Both good enough, not the best, but you understand not everyone has to like you. You don't know these people, you are just happy they bothered looking your way.

And then... then randomly you get a 0.5. Why did this happen? You don't know. It was done by someone random, someone you never saw or interacted with. Oh, but sometimes they do interact with you. They go up to your face and insult you, telling you how much you suck, but these are few and far between. Heck, there are even a few that go by and say "I am not a fan," and yet give you a 0.5. At least these maybe gave a reason... but the anonymous ones never did. They just went casually by and affected your life entirely without you having the slightest chance to even notice it before it was too late. This happens every single day. You know that you will need a dozen people to make up for every single random passerby giving you the 0.5, souring every single pat on the back you get over the next few days. 

This number sucks. It sucks that it means so much and that random people can do so much to affect your life. Everyone who works the same job as yours knows it sucks, even a lot of those you meet on the street know it sucks, but yet nothing is ever done to better it. But you like most parts of your job. The vast majority it even. You love it do death... but damn do you wish this part that sours the whole experience could be bettered. Sometimes you even go to places where this number does not exist and it feels good. You even hear of places where while the number still exist... people actually have to be paying customers to give you the number, and not just be random passerby on the street. But you always go back and see the number the next day or a few days later to the place with the numbers, and every time you see it drop more. Could you hide the number and ignore it? Yes... you theoretically could, but that would be like turning off all your fire alarms because you are worried about a fire starting.

This number is the rating system, easily the worst part of RR by a huge fucking margin. It is the pile of shit on an otherwise pristine dish, and for the life of me, I will never understand why the chef keeps insisting it's fine as it is.

Derin_Edala Wrote: In all seriousness though, this is a pretty neat space. I just wish we had a discord (people say we do but I can't find it? And some people say we did but now we don't? Or something?)

There was a discord, which was sort of stealing activity from the forum, so the site disowned the discord.  It still exists but isn't affiliated with royal road except as something like a fan site of royal road.