Re: Long or short chapters, which do you prefer?

The minimum word count is 500 words, but it seems like most people go for a lot more than that. My first chapter was 2000 words, and it looks like the next one is going to be similar. Short chapters would let me get updates pushed out more often (especially because I write pretty slowly), which could help boost my story, but I'm afraid it would disrupt the flow and pacing,

Do you to put out shorter chapters more often, or wait to post a longer chapter, and why?

For me, I guess short chapters. I will still read it even if it has long chapters but short chapters help me stay focused. 

Edit: I accidentally hit post before finishing. I type up short chapters now instead of long because I noticed it keeps my readers interested moreso than the long chapters I used to type. I used to type at most 5k words in a chapter.

The first chapter of my current novel is a little over 3k and I think I will continue to make the first chapter long for every novel. Or if there is a chapter I wish to add more information in. 

StarryFreya Wrote: For me, I guess short chapters. I will still read it even if it has long chapters but short chapters help me stay focused. 

Edit: I accidentally hit post before finishing. I type up short chapters now instead of long because I noticed it keeps my readers interested moreso than the long chapters I used to type. I used to type at most 5k words in a chapter.

The first chapter of my current novel is a little over 3k and I think I will continue to make the first chapter long for every novel. Or if there is a chapter I wish to add more information in.

Glad to know that some people do prefer reading shorter chapters though! Makes me feel better about writing them.

My chapters are generally about 2.2k words long, max 3k, and min 1.7k for special chapters, or less when I split a normal length chapter up for pacing.

I just can't see the point of 500 word chapters. It's like, those mini burgers that they give you at house parties at some middle class persons house. Let me get a whole tray of them or get out of my face... And if I'm just gonna clear the plate in one go, why not just give me a regular burger?

Like, 500 words is not enough for someone to get attached and interested in a character, if the releases are being rationed over days... Even if the story was being updated every other day... 500 words every 48 hours??? Bruh...
Even in action novels, I firmly believe that all stories rely supremely on character, and I don't think you can establish enough a about a character AS WELL AS have an actual plot AS WELL AS keep a reader hooked on a 500 word ratiom

Thats my opinion though, I like speaking on topics like I have the right

Apart from a few exceptions, my chapters for my current 'first season' average at the 2.5k mark. Those that were longer came in at just under 5k, so as a bit of an experiment/for people pleasing, I released it in full and also in two smaller parts just to make it a little more easily consumed. 
The chapters of my second which I'm in the process of typing up are going to be longer on average- around 3k-3.5k words but I'm going to leave them as is when I publish them.

I also personally feel disappointed in myself if I write anything less than 2k for a chapter- but it has happened... sadly.

I don't think there is going to be a right way or wrong way when publishing long chapters or shorter chapters. It depends on what you as an author are going for, what you can manage and if your audience are invested and interested, they'll read the chapters however long they are. They'll just do it in their own time. 

RenamedUser8903457 Wrote: It's like, those mini burgers that they give you at house parties at some middle class persons house. Let me get a whole tray of them or get out of my face... And if I'm just gonna clear the plate in one go, why not just give me a regular burger?

Also amen!  peoapproval

RenamedUser8903457 Wrote: My chapters are generally about 2.2k words long, max 3k, and min 1.7k for special chapters, or less when I split a normal length chapter up for pacing.

I just can't see the point of 500 word chapters. It's like, those mini burgers that they give you at house parties at some middle class persons house. Let me get a whole tray of them or get out of my face... And if I'm just gonna clear the plate in one go, why not just give me a regular burger?

Like, 500 words is not enough for someone to get attached and interested in a character, if the releases are being rationed over days... Even if the story was being updated every other day... 500 words every 48 hours??? Bruh...
Even in action novels, I firmly believe that all stories rely supremely on character, and I don't think you can establish enough a about a character AS WELL AS have an actual plot AS WELL AS keep a reader hooked on a 500 word ratiom

Thats my opinion though, I like speaking on topics like I have the right

Hey, mini burgers can be fun! 😆 But I agree that 500 words isn't nearly enough time to get in any character or plot development. I thought my first chapter felt a bit short at 2k words, but I looked at just the first 500 and it feels like essentially nothing. It seems like it would be better to longer updates less often, because super short chunks like that would be so jarring.

I actually didn't know there was a minimum! Good to know!

I think for me it really just depends on the length required for that particular chapter, so it'll vary from chapter to chapter - and also based on the book I'm writing.

My current fantasy novel in progress has about two chapters that are over 10k words, while most range within the 7k-9k word count.

The serialized GameLit that I'm working on for Royal Road (The Beast of Ildenwood) has chapters that tend to be around 1,500 words so far (not including the prologue, which is about 500 words), though this will probably grow as the story gets more complex.

I'm also working on another (yet-unreleased) serialized high fantasy - though not a LitRPG/GameLit - and that one has chapters of on average 3,000 words.

These are for a few of my fantasy projects. For my murder mystery, my chapters average about 4k-5k words. For my horror book, they average 2k-3k words. I think for me there are definitely differences between the genres in addition to the requirements of the story itself.

I think someone might have already mentioned it, but I've read somewhere that when publishing for online - so, for example, serial fiction - it's better to keep chapters shorter than you otherwise would. I'm not sure if that also subconsciously factors into the word count lengths for my serial fiction chapters 🤔 Probably!

EDIT: I realize I didn't answer the question at hand so here goes...
Taking into consideration factors outside of just writing the chapter itself, like time and other responsibilities, I think it really just depends on what's on my plate and how much is feasible for me at that point in time. If I can only release short chapters once or twice per week, that's still better than nothing. At the same time, if I have the time to write long chapters and release them once or twice a week, that would be great! I think for me it's just the balancing act that leads to whatever decision I make regarding chapter lengths and chapter release frequency.