Re: For writers: How often do you post chapters? And for Readers, How long can you accept between posts?

BmustG Wrote: For me it depends on the size of the chapter and the content of it :
  • IF you post once a month or biweekly and the chapters have the same size as the majority of daily posters  - i`ll lose interest.
  • I also don't minding waiting for a long time as long as we get quality content following the plot, nothing dissapoints me more than waiting for a chapter, for it to be an intermission/extra. if chapters are posted frequently  its ok  not when we have been waiting for weeks...
Hey, I'd like to ask what you think a normal length for weekly posters should be to keep you interested. I post weekly and I try to keep it about 1500 words, sometimes I get up to 2000 words.

Re: For writers: How often do you post chapters? And for Readers, How long can you accept between posts?

I started of with once a week, on Fridays, before doing it Monday and Fridays, before adding in Wednesdays. Every now and then I'll do a week splurge (2 chapters every weekday) once I reach a milestone and have enough chapters in my backlog to support that. I terms of waiting. I've read stories that posted anywhere from twice a day to once a month. It doesn't really matter to anyone who comes later, because they didn't have to wait so long. As for the readers, if it's a good story, then most will usually wait till you write again.

Heyitstheauthor Wrote: I've only just started writing my novel, but I've been pumping out a chapter/2k words every day for more than a week now and have about a 9 chapter backlog I prepared before publishing so I can keep up daily updates in case I can't write. From all that I have heard consistency is pretty key for success in the webnovel genre, so I'm pushing myself to keep a schedule every day while still trying to maintain a certain standard of quality in my writing. It takes me about 1 to 2 hours to write a chapter and I only do it after everyone in my household has gone to sleep so I have nothing distracting me. I had some difficulties at first, but I feel like I've been getting used to it and enjoying it more and more as I get excited about my own story and I hope I can keep this up even if my schedule gets tighter with college and stuff. If my interest in what I'm writing ever died, though, it would be very hard for me to keep that up, but I don't see it happening any time soon, thankfully.

This is something I've noticed as well. Once I can get into a scheduled of writing daily, it becomes so much easier with each day. I'll also notice myself writing faster. The problem is that once that rhythm is broken, it can be difficult to start it up again. That's what happed with my job. I had no energy at the end of the day, and couldn't sit at my computer to write. I've been writing consistently this whole week, and I'm really trying to make it a permanent habit.

Morhamza Wrote: Hey, I'd like to ask what you think a normal length for weekly posters should be to keep you interested. I post weekly and I try to keep it about 1500 words, sometimes I get up to 2000 words.

I'm curious about this as well. I have two stories. One of them I plan to post weekly, and right now, the average chapter length is over 3,000 words. the other one which I'll be posting bi-weekly for has an average of 5,000 words, but there is a chapter coming up with around 8,000, and I'm not sure if I should split the post.

nolgalaxy Wrote:
Morhamza Wrote: Hey, I'd like to ask what you think a normal length for weekly posters should be to keep you interested. I post weekly and I try to keep it about 1500 words, sometimes I get up to 2000 words.

I'm curious about this as well. I have two stories. One of them I plan to post weekly, and right now, the average chapter length is over 3,000 words. the other one which I'll be posting bi-weekly for has an average of 5,000 words, but there is a chapter coming up with around 8,000, and I'm not sure if I should split the post.
I think that some people like long chapters that take a while to finish and other people like one chapter split into many.

As for the second thing yes I think you should split the chapter It will look better that you have more chaps.
This is my opinion but your readers might be different.

I post twice a week. And I can accept upto once a week. Hiatus' are also acceptable, for around 4 months maybe(in a year), but if you are consistent then yes after 5 years of continous work, you can take a break for 1 year. I would like to post more, but I am a student. I am consistent with every monday and friday. Thanks.

Reader here, so I might look bad in your eyes because I'll not start to read any book that doesn't have at least 10-20 chapters, I mean, too many rushed authors start posting and stop after just a few chapters, but if I like the book, I have no problems with waiting for updates, most comfortable schedule for me is twice a week, I know that a lot of readers want it daily, but writing ain't easy so I believe that the authors should take time to polish their work, to all authors out there, I would rather wait for a little for you to write a nice story rather than read rushed, unpolished chapters that will make me drop the story, you all are doing a great job, I wish you all the best of luck! 

DrakoRem Wrote: Reader here, so I might look bad in your eyes because I'll not start to read any book that doesn't have at least 10-20 chapters, I mean, too many rushed authors start posting and stop after just a few chapters, but if I like the book, I have no problems with waiting for updates, most comfortable schedule for me is twice a week, I know that a lot of readers want it daily, but writing ain't easy so I believe that the authors should take time to polish their work, to all authors out there, I would rather wait for a little for you to write a nice story rather than read rushed, unpolished chapters that will make me drop the story, you all are doing a great job, I wish you all the best of luck!
Hey I’m starting to write my first book. And I’m writing on weekends the chaps are short but If you want to check it out, go onto my portfolio and click fictions.

My book is really chaotic since I just find something I think is cool and put it in.

NoReadingNoLife Wrote:
DrakoRem Wrote: Reader here, so I might look bad in your eyes because I'll not start to read any book that doesn't have at least 10-20 chapters, I mean, too many rushed authors start posting and stop after just a few chapters, but if I like the book, I have no problems with waiting for updates, most comfortable schedule for me is twice a week, I know that a lot of readers want it daily, but writing ain't easy so I believe that the authors should take time to polish their work, to all authors out there, I would rather wait for a little for you to write a nice story rather than read rushed, unpolished chapters that will make me drop the story, you all are doing a great job, I wish you all the best of luck!
Hey I’m starting to write my first book. And I’m writing on weekends the chaps are short but If you want to check it out, go onto my portfolio and click fictions.

My book is really chaotic since I just find something I think is cool and put it in.
Sure, I'll have a look, good luck with your new endeavor   :DrakanWine:

Morhamza Wrote:
BmustG Wrote: For me it depends on the size of the chapter and the content of it :
  • IF you post once a month or biweekly and the chapters have the same size as the majority of daily posters  - i`ll lose interest.
  • I also don't minding waiting for a long time as long as we get quality content following the plot, nothing dissapoints me more than waiting for a chapter, for it to be an intermission/extra. if chapters are posted frequently  its ok  not when we have been waiting for weeks...
Hey, I'd like to ask what you think a normal length for weekly posters should be to keep you interested. I post weekly and I try to keep it about 1500 words, sometimes I get up to 2000 words.

Sure it`s normal, but what matters more for me is the content in those words. 2k words of nothing < 1k words of plot.

for example : Stranger than Fiction - i liked the story, the premise, the world also seemed interesting, average 2 k words but i just hit pause and am waiting for more chapters cause the plot is moving so slowly, dialogues after dialogues, mc is stuck in a dangerous unknown dungeon and most of the chapters are spent talking.

[url=https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/37283/stranger-than-fiction][/url]

It depends on the book! With my current WIP it's really slow or when on a roll I can sometimes have bursts were several chapters are done in a day. Mostly slow due to this being one of final revisions before finishing this monster.

But when not revising I cank out a chapter before you've finished your sandwich. Not to say it's not drowning in typos. 😅