Re: What is Rep? What does it do? A guide to the current state of Rep.

Rep (or reputation) controls rep, mostly.  It is some indicator of interaction on the forums or in the comments on stories.  It has some impact on your leveling, mostly in bursts around gaining rep levels.  It's a way to say: "Thanks", or "I like this", or "This was useful", or even "Nice to see you today".  What rep means is really left up to the giver to decide what they think about rep.  There's no other impact other than fancier gems (or different color, but less fancy gem when you move up a tier.  Also, as an April Fools 2021 joke, high rep would let you mute other users with lower rep and lower levels.  It didn't actually do this, but if you filled out the form, you got an achievement.)

There's more on the Rep/Levels gems and borders here: Leveled Up RR blog post

It is important to note that rep is granted for "free" within the limits below, meaning it doesn't take from your rep when you "give" it to someone else.

Rep Daily Limits:
  1. You can give out rep 20 times per day with an increase up to a maximum of your Rep Level per day if it's higher than 20.  
  2. Only once per post or comment
  3. Only twice to the same user each day.  
  4. This limit is on occurrences, not total rep given, so if you give 1 rep or 10 rep, you've used one of your grants for the day.  
  5. At level 30, you can give out rep 30 times with values from 1-4 on each of those grants, to a minimum of 15 people and a max of 30.

Rep Grants:  These are based on specific values which don't tie to current levels exactly (probably did before the great recalculation in the link above).  Rep levels are granted immediately on crossing the threshold for the next level, unlike achievements which are generally analyzed once/day, at Midnight UTC, or may be granted directly by an admin for some instances (like bug reports, random, acts of import, seasonal, or special event).  Again, these are grants, they are not removed from your rep when you give them out.
Your RepMaximum Rep per GrantNotes
2012 rep (normal)/ 5 rep author (in story comments)Verified Apr 9 2021
5013 rep (normal)/ 5 rep author (in story comments)Verified Apr 16 2021
10014 rep (normal)/ 5 rep author (in story comments)Verified Apr 12 2021
50015 rep (normal)/ 10 rep author (in story comments)Verified Mar 18 2021
100016 rep (normal)/ 10 rep author (in story comments)Verified Apr 21 2021

Currently, there are no further increases based on your rep.

KoboldPatrol provided this complete list of the reputation levels, which went into effect on 02 FEB 2021.

The gems come in ten different colors and five different shapes for each color.

The colors are: gray -> green -> blue -> purple -> yellow -> orange -> teal -> red -> diamond* -> "royal" (multicolor).

The shapes are: mostly hidden in stone -> getting revealed from the stone -> cleaned but round (cabochon) -> rough cut -> fine cut.  Note that diamond (41-45) has different shapes than the other colors, getting progressively more corners (0>1>2>3>6).

Rep LevelRep to LevelTotal Rep at LevelGem
144gray, gem hidden
248gray, revealing
3412gray, clean
43*15gray, rough cut
5520gray, fine cut
6525green, gem hidden
7530green, revealing
8535green, clean
91045green, rough cut
101055green, fine cut
111570blue, gem hidden
121585blue, revealing
1320105blue, clean
1425130blue, rough cut
1530160blue, fine cut
1635195purple, gem hidden
1745240purple, revealing
1850290purple, clean
1960350purple, rough cut
2070420purple, fine cut
2180500yellow, gem hidden
2295595yellow, revealing
23105700yellow, clean
24125825yellow, rough cut
25140965yellow, fine cut
261551120orange, gem hidden
271751295orange, revealing
282001495orange, clean
292201715orange, rough cut
302451960orange, fine cut
312702230teal, gem hidden
323002530teal, revealing
333302860teal, clean
343603220teal, rough cut
353953615teal, fine cut
364304045red, gem hidden
374704515red, revealing
385105025red, clean
395505575red, rough cut
406006175red, fine cut
416456820diamond, round
426957515diamond, drop
437458260diamond, deformed heart
448059065diamond, triangle
458609925diamond, hexagon
4692010845royal (multicolor), gem hidden
4798511830royal (multicolor), revealing
48105012880royal (multicolor), clean
49112014000royal (multicolor), rough cut
50119015190royal (multicolor), fine cut

*Discontinuity in the difficulty.

Thanks for reading!

Credits:  Thank you to all those helping with verification/validation: AeroKaia, EnhancedBeing, DrBuller, KoboldPatrol.  Additional thanks to KoboldPatrol for the table of gems.  Msng also apparently made a thread like this before in the general forum, but I couldn't find it, so reinvented this wheel.

This is awesome! Do you want to touch on authors repping on stories since I think the limits are different? Also, and it may seem obvious, but I didn't know what the gold star meant for an embarrassingly long time. Or deep dive into rep lore and talk about potatoes and pants and TFTCs?

Sadly I am out of rep for you today so I will have to rep this tomorrow. In the meantime, a pale replacement: DrakanPotato

One way of looking at it is as a way to validate and encourage comment.  They are the points given by other members for useful contribution in the posts and chap comments. Higher value contributors (given more agreement or other rep points) gain the ability to award more rep points themselves and are recognized by merit badge status increases. This awards both folks for acknowledging others and the folks who contribute and respond for participating on the site. It does not have any direct influence on the rating of work that I am aware of.

gej302 Wrote: 10001 6 rep (normal)/ 10 rep author (in story comments) Unverified
As of last week (I think it was the 23rd, but I would need to look it up at home), I can confirm the 10000/10001 border for 5/6 rep. I landed directly on 10000 and was still able to give 5 rep. Then I waited the half hour until I received more rep, which luckily was exactly one for a total of 10001. I can give 6 rep since then. 

Some related questions now that I can +4 rep in the forums:
  1. Why don't we get notifications when our reputation level increases? (But we do for achievements?)
  2. Why can't get some sort of great summary page that shows where we get our reputation from?
  3. Why is the existing reputation list page so terrible (I can't tell what I'm getting rep from unless I individually click through each link; like I think I got a bunch from a vigorous debate with Zogarth today/yesterday, but manually checking that is a PITA). 
  4. Can we get some high level statistics on reputation on the site? What's the total reputation on the site? What's the daily/monthly/annual increase like (inflation anybody)? What percentage of rep is coming from forums vs comments vs. ____? What's the distribution of rep level? 
I'm not necessarily expecting gej to know/find these, but they are interesting.

luda305 Wrote: Some related questions now that I can +4 rep in the forums:
  1. Why don't we get notifications when our reputation level increases? (But we do for achievements?)
  2. Why can't get some sort of great summary page that shows where we get our reputation from?
  3. Why is the existing reputation list page so terrible (I can't tell what I'm getting rep from unless I individually click through each link; like I think I got a bunch from a vigorous debate with Zogarth today/yesterday, but manually checking that is a PITA). 
  4. Can we get some high level statistics on reputation on the site? What's the total reputation on the site? What's the daily/monthly/annual increase like (inflation anybody)? What percentage of rep is coming from forums vs comments vs. ____? What's the distribution of rep level? 
1. You should. I get notifications of level ups for rep when it's midnight GMT and the chron jobs on the server all calculate levels and achievements.

2. and 3. Eh. Yeah, I agree that it's bad, but it's a fairly new implementation. Maybe send Kana and Wing some feedback on what could be shown better here and they might take you up on it.
4. I doubt this will go anywhere tbh. You can say for sure that there will definitely be rep inflation as more people hit the 10k rep mark though. The rep level distribution right now is very "mid heavy", in that there are a lot of people between level 20 and 35, but not as many people over 40, and very few over 45. But you can expect that to accelerate as more people hit the 10k rep wall.

Why don't we get notifications when our reputation level increases? (But we do for achievements?)
    Why can't get some sort of great summary page that shows where we get our reputation from?
    Why is the existing reputation list page so terrible (I can't tell what I'm getting rep from unless I individually click through each link; like I think I got a bunch from a vigorous debate with Zogarth today/yesterday, but manually checking that is a PITA).
    Can we get some high level statistics on reputation on the site? What's the total reputation on the site? What's the daily/monthly/annual increase like (inflation anybody)? What percentage of rep is coming from forums vs comments vs. ____? What's the distribution of rep level?

1) I get notifications on rep level increases. 
https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroad.com%2FContent%2FImages...amond4.png Congratulations! You've reached Reputation Level 44. (from 4 days ago in my notifications)
2/3) I dunno, but that would be nice.  Sometimes I get some really random stuff from old old posts where someone is reading something I've honestly forgotten typing at this point, and I have to do click through to figure it out.  Probably most folks don't care too much.
4)  I'd bet it's more comments than forums across the board, since there are people with moderately high rep that I've never seen a post from.  But those stats would have to come from kanadaj.  I know I get more individual reps from posts, but far more of my total rep has come from comments in terms of typo-fixes, interaction with the authors, and my free cover art.
I suspect the site is going up by a minimum of 5k total rep each day, but probably more like 10k on average, with some minor downward adjustments when accounts are deleted, and some flux around day of the week. 

One max rep user can grant out from 50 to 300 rep on the forums, and go up to 500 rep if they are an author with an active comment section.  I don't think any are currently doing that much repp'ing but if we average that out to 200/day for really high level active users, then it's only going to take 25-50 of those on any given day to give out that much rep.  Assume 20.  And maybe 500 or so active lower level'd forum users.  And then 10k starts looking a bit low...

DoomAlsoDoom Wrote:
1. You should. I get notifications of level ups for rep when it's midnight GMT and the chron jobs on the server all calculate levels and achievements.

2. and 3. Eh. Yeah, I agree that it's bad, but it's a fairly new implementation. Maybe send Kana and Wing some feedback on what could be shown better here and they might take you up on it.
4. I doubt this will go anywhere tbh. You can say for sure that there will definitely be rep inflation as more people hit the 10k rep mark though. The rep level distribution right now is very "mid heavy", in that there are a lot of people between level 20 and 35, but not as many people over 40, and very few over 45. But you can expect that to accelerate as more people hit the 10k rep wall.
1. I get notifications for Level, but not Reputation Level. 

4. Well, there's no way to lose rep, so it's an always growing pool.