Re: Finally decided to write a Litrpg, need help deciding which premise is most interesting.

So as im not really keen on giving plot details ill give a basic premise and depending on what you guys think ill start writing and in a month or so post a test chapter. Mostly this is a challenge to myself to see if i am cut out for writing or not so be gentle.
Story 1- Lamia born in a dungeon and Farms it for items in order to make money selling those items to the human kingdom. (slight Comedy elements)
Story 2- Soldier fighting the demon army dedicates her life to the cause only for the 16 hero the church summoned to annihilate the army in a single spell. she then retires and goes to make her own town in the woods. the rest of the story revolves around her slowly making a town where the survivors of the battle congregate including demons.
Story 3- Reincarnated into a merfolk with elements similar to more traditional litrpgs such as azarinth healer or BTDEM. Level ups and Fights galore.

Have some storyboard for all three so its really up to what others would find interesting.

Re: Finally decided to write a Litrpg, need help deciding which premise is most interesting.

Honestly, none of them. Maybe it's just the way you described them, but they all sound incredibly generic to me. 

If I HAD to pick one, probably the second. A story where the survivors of a war come together and learn to heal from the emotionally scarring experience sounds alright, though I could see it getting boring if there wasn't something of a plot. Also, the first part about a young hero annihilating the demons with one spell, is just so goofy and it immediately turns me off. 

With all this said, my opinion is worthless if you write it well. 

DrakanSweat

First, a gentle suggestion: don't ask for people to be gentle. If you're fragile, you won't deal well when you get your inevitable first 0.5 rating. If you can't handle that, then you know you're not cut out for publication (which is different from "writing").

Second, don't worry about spoilers here. Only a small fraction of the readership haunts this forum (especially this subforum), and anyway the forum itself is basically a giant writer's group. We come here not just to hang out, but to give advice and get advice. 

Third, what I find most interesting in this list is #2, though I'm filling in some blanks. As Fushia said, it's very generic. If the hook is something like "What happens to the ordinary people after the summoned hero wins and goes home?," if the story happens after the battle (so you don't start with the wrong impression), and if you concentrate on consequences and a little bit of kingdom building, then you have a potential story that won't feel like just another clone.

If so, I highly recommend reading some books on ordinary life in similar cultures to what you describe. The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England is probably the best single resource for medieval Western elements. I don't personally know of one for Japan or China but I'm sure they exist. The more detail you can provide, the better it is for the "stuff we normally ignore after the adventure" premise.

You still need a good plot, of course, even if you're sticking to a slice of life pace. 

What could be interesting is tying up all three of the stories into one. Perhaps the Merfolk destroyed the demons' army and the cause of the war was the Lamia selling items to a human kingdom sparking a war between the church's officials and the merchants and nobles on the other side. This could fold out into a general holy war with the demons taking advantage of the general unrest attacking, then story 2 begins? 

Not entirely sure the story was a good premise, but it may be worth it to interconnect the stories together in some way, even if it is just a backstory.

Honestly none of them. However keep in mind whether a story idea is good or not is entirely dependent on how well it is executed and how well the story is written. You can have the dumbest idea ever for a story. But if you write really well, then you will pull in an audience.

Story 1: The Premise feels a little too generic, as there's been quite a few isekai stories written where the protagonist starts out in a dungeon, farms it to become powerful, then eventually leaves. Selling the loot gained in it is a slightly different take, but I mean, that's precisely what adventurers doing dungeon delves do right? Thus the only thing going for it is the protagonist being a lamia, which, of all the fantasy races, it's probably the least appealing (to me personally, others may differ).

Story 2: Feels very much a slice of life story, and is a very doable premise. But you will need some really good skills in writing to fully pull off and portray the kind of emotional environment necessary for it. The inter-species tension between humans and demons, the turmoil and loss following a war, the grievances and hatred that may sprout, dissidents intent on potentially wiping out the other side at all costs, etc, differences in living conditions and necessities etc. Secondly, this story needs an overarching goal outside of "just survive and recover", and it should be something that takes the story and expands it beyond the confines of the village itself and its internal politics. This story seems like the most massive undertaking of the three, but if you feel you can pull it off and pull it off well, then go for it. Grammar aside, whether it is appealing or not will entirely depend on how well you write it.

Story 3: This seems the least inspired of your choices, as you do not have a concrete idea of what it'll be. There's only an inkling of a goal, "It will be written in the same vein as the more traditional isekai stories. Examples." I can't judge this story's premise or idea as you haven't really given me one. :\

I like all three story ideas. But as others have said, ideas don't matter, execution does. There are unfortunately rules that writing follows in absolute, and reasons why certain structures work better than others.

I wouldn't test yourself to see if you're "cut out for writing". No one sits down at a piano, fails to play a symphony and thinks "i'm not cut out for piano." Its not something you are or are not, skill comes with practice.

Just pick a story and start writing it. Don't worry if its bad or good. Skill will come with time. I also advise that you don't try rewriting your story before you finish writing it. Just write it through. Set a goal of word count or chapter count like 50k words or 50 chapters and then keep going til you hit it. 

Either of your stories can work, if done well enough. Do what I did - go through your basic premises and pick the one you're most confident in writing. No need to be completely sure you'll pull it off, it's about the experience of trying.

However, don't do what I did in picking something that will go on for a long time. Take something manageable to start off with. Write some 30 - 50 chapter stories before you try to go for 500.

Gonna have to disagree with the majority and say I like 3 because an underwater society could be quite interesting, as could totally-underwater dungeons.  If you wanted to have a new aquatic town founded by refugees and adventurers near a newly-discovered underwater dungeon, that seems like it could be cool, and less likely to fall prey to plotlessness and the lack of conflict in a peaceful, non-frontier land kingdom.  The ocean is so big there would always be lawless frontiers and mysterious locations, I think.

It's always nice to know that more and more people want to write their own work, but what you should do is to innovate.

Story 3 is quite new and interesting, but lose the isekai bit. An underwater water adventure would be an interesting read since I've not read a story in the underwater setting. You might get stuck in the worldbuilding part, but of course we wont get no gold if we wont start digging. Just don't give it the isekai treatment. 

But hey, Like many of the replies here say, it all comes down on how you write and present that story inside your head. You might have great ideas. Surprise us!

To be completely honest, in my experience. It honestly doesn't matter. A good writer can take a completely done concept and if done with interesting characters, promising and fulfilling storylines and satisfying payoffs, then it'll become a great story (i.e, Re:zero. Witches, Oni, Magical beasts, Isekai, Nothing unique but good writing makes the story good).
On the other hand, you can have the most vivid and compelling worldbuilding but if your writing sucks then no one will give it a second shot.
There are tons of professional authors that have given their advice on how to write a good story and I'd highly recommend you watch lectures on the fundamentals of good story-telling before anything. You'll thank yourself later.
Everyone starts from somewhere so don't let the comments discourage you, you've got this

Karingano Wrote: To be completely honest, in my experience. It honestly doesn't matter. A good writer can take a completely done concept and if done with interesting characters, promising and fulfilling storylines and satisfying payoffs, then it'll become a great story (i.e, Re:zero. Witches, Oni, Magical beasts, Isekai, Nothing unique but good writing makes the story good).
On the other hand, you can have the most vivid and compelling worldbuilding but if your writing sucks then no one will give it a second shot.
There are tons of professional authors that have given their advice on how to write a good story and I'd highly recommend you watch lectures on the fundamentals of good story-telling before anything. You'll thank yourself later.
Everyone starts from somewhere so don't let the comments discourage you, you've got this

+1

Anyone who disagrees doesn't understand how to write