Re: Only 1 reputation?

You can give 5 to comments on your own story. In the forum, you can only give 1 until you reach rep level 16, when you can give up to 2. After that, you can give an extra point of rep every five levels (21, 26, etc.).

There's still a cap on how much rep you can give per day, and you can only give rep once per post or comment (and twice per user per day). Being able to give more per instance is so you can show greater appreciation, not infinite praise. If you're very active, you'll still have to ration what rep you hand out. 

Rep Limits:  Greater of 20/day or Rep Level/day.  1/post or comment, 2/user/day.
Rep Grants:  Not quite level based... I think they are based on specific values which don't tie to levels exactly.  I'm unsure on the bottom 2 upgrades, because I wasn't paying attention at that point.  I expect those to be fairly accurate guesses, and would love confirmation or correction.
 201  - 2 rep / 5 rep on story comments (EDIT: Validated 4/9/2021)
 501  - 3 rep / 5 rep on story comments
1001 - 4 rep / 5 rep on story comments (EDIT: Validated 4/12/2021)
5001 - 5 rep / 10 rep on story comments (EDIT: Validated 3/18/2021)
10001 6 rep / 10 rep on story comments
no further increases based on earned rep.

gej302 Wrote: Rep Limits:  Greater of 20/day or Rep Level/day.  1/post or comment, 2/user/day.
Rep Grants:  Not quite level based... I think they are based on specific values which don't tie to levels exactly.  I'm unsure on the bottom 2 upgrades, because I wasn't paying attention at that point.  I expect those to be fairly accurate guesses, and would love confirmation or correction.
251   - 2 rep / 5 rep on story comments
501   - 3 rep / 5 rep on story comments
1001 - 4 rep / 5 rep on story comments
5001 - 5 rep / 10 rep on story comments
I'll have to go on a rep spree to check on the increased amount; I was told when I joined that it was 20 per day for everyone. 

When I hit level 16, I could give 2 rep per post. When I hit level 21, I could give 3. It's based on level unless it's a recent change. 

gej302 Wrote: Rep Limits:  Greater of 20/day or Rep Level/day.  1/post or comment, 2/user/day.
251   - 2 rep / 5 rep on story comments
501   - 3 rep / 5 rep on story comments
1001 - 4 rep / 5 rep on story comments
5001 - 5 rep / 10 rep on story comments

Thank you for this! I was wondering how it worked too!

NovelNinja Wrote: I'll have to go on a rep spree to check on the increased amount; I was told when I joined that it was 20 per day for everyone. 

When I hit level 16, I could give 2 rep per post. When I hit level 21, I could give 3. It's based on level unless it's a recent change.

Yup, 20/day is the minimum for all users, but it's not the maximum, that's 50.  I recently capped out in Rep/Day when I was at level 37 range, and got the error message you can only give rep 37 times per day.  I am hypothetically up to 40/day now, but I haven't hit the cap since that wonderful pun-festive day.

It's possible those align closely with the levels at lower points but we ran an actual verification for the 5000 vs 5001 rep line.  I just got 5/10 recently and it wasn't at level 31, rather late 37 or early in level 38, and 6 happens mid level 45.  During a recent test, at 5000 rep exactly could give 4/5, moved to 5001 exactly (because math nerds, so why not) could give 5/10. 

One other thing I forgot.  Rep-reset is at Midnight GMT.  So the day is measured on GMT/UTC.  Achievements seem to be done around that time as well (for things like published words, number of comments, etc), while rep levels are done instantaneously upon crossing thresholds.

Edit: thanks to this thread, the posting of a chapter today, and introduction threads, I've hit my cap at level 40, with 40/day.  I didn't count myself by hand, but I'm gonna trust them on the message.
https%3A%2F%2Fi.ibb.co%2FC8L5jXz%2F40-day.png

gej302 Wrote:
NovelNinja Wrote: I'll have to go on a rep spree to check on the increased amount; I was told when I joined that it was 20 per day for everyone. 

Yup, 20/day is the minimum for all users, but it's not the maximum, that's 50.  I recently capped out in Rep/Day when I was at level 37 range, and got the error message you can only give rep 37 times per day.  I am hypothetically up to 40/day now, but I haven't hit the cap since that wonderful pun-festive day.

It's possible those align closely with the levels at lower points but we ran an actual verification for the 5000 vs 5001 rep line.  I just got 5/10 recently and it wasn't at level 31, rather late 37 or early in level 38, and 6 happens mid level 45.  During a recent test, at 5000 rep exactly could give 4/5, moved to 5001 exactly (because math nerds, so why not) could give 5/10. 

Edit: thanks to this thread, the posting of a chapter today, and introduction threads, I've hit my cap at level 40, with 40/day.  I didn't count myself by hand, but I'm gonna trust them on the message.
It seems like it is by rep level, because rep level is tied to how much rep you actually have. The actual rep number is also not as easy to notice as your rep level (due to the notifications when you change rep level and the constant rep gem on your pfp, if you have not disabled that feature). I believe they were perfectly correlated, once upon a time, but shifts in the requirements for rep levels has meant they are no longer perfectly aligned.

This particular feature is not that well explained and is relatively new compared to the age of the site itself so information about it tends to only spread by personal experimentation and word-of-mouth/comment/post. It also gets updated every so often; the last big change being 2 months ago when they reduced the requirements for the higher rep levels. So active members who have been constantly visiting the site for years might not know as much (or know outdated information) as compared to someone who has just joined the site and asked in the forums.

I am hoping that eventually, once more people start getting higher levels of rep, that they start adding more levels and tiers... after all, rep inflation is real since all members are just steadily getting more and more of it. But currently the tiers gej302 listed are the only ones. For now.

I had to necro this thread to acknowledge that I was wrong. I just hit 1,002 rep and can now grant up to 4 rep per post, even though I am not yet at Rep Level 26. When I started Rep Level 25, but was less than 1,000 rep, I could only grant up to 3 per post. 

We will now return you to your regularly scheduled forum, already in progress.