Re: UK versus US quotation styles and Royal Road

I tried searching for this topic, as it had been gnawing at my head during my writing sessions.

Is there any general consensus, or individual bias, towards either the UK or US form of noting speech, quotes, and the like? 
UK uses single quotation marks ‘Hello, Tom’, whereas the US uses double quotation marks “Hello, Tom”. You'll essentially see a reverse in styling for other punctuation, like with quotes inside of dialogue. 
UK example: ‘Tom, did you hear what Mathew said? “Unintelligent”, the gall!’
US example: “Tom, did you hear what Mathew said? Unintelligent’, the gall!”

If you pick up any book with a UK author you'll find many before 2010 follow the single quotation marks, Harry Potter to name the most popular. Though the double quotation marks have been wrongly placed within our education, so plenty of UK authors in recent years have made the change either due to their upbringing or a means to appeal to a larger American audience.

Since it's mostly a personal preference as well as a relatively simple, if not long, process to change, I was wanting to see if RR held any bias for the UK or US style. I personally believe consistency is more key, but if single quotations are enough to drive people away I am flexible in altering my writing style.

The US quotation seems to be the dominant one here. Personally I don't have an issue with the UK form. However, it might be best to use the US form so you don't get comments about it. Spelling is another area where there are differences. I discovered this the first time I read a story by a British author, I pointed out several words I thought were misspelled. Turns out it was just the UK spelling. 

Outside of a few grammar sensitive biases, I doubt many readers find it confusing. Most know there are slight differences in the way one nation expresses itself via another. Some who don't might pipe up with a rather ignorant grammar correction from time to time, but that is to be expected.  Its a bit surprising to hear that some English authors bother to incorporate such minor changes to adapt to American variations, leading me to wonder if they do the same for Australian variations. I view it as a tempest in a teapot either way.

MalevolenceMau Wrote: UK uses single quotation marks ‘Hello, Tom’, whereas the US uses double quotation marks “Hello, Tom”.
Though the double quotation marks have been wrongly placed within our education, so plenty of UK authors in recent years have made the change either due to their upbringing or a means to appeal to a larger American audience.

I knew there were different styles, but having been taught the " " style at school I'd assumed this was the UK one. 🤣 Didn't realise that was a recent shift.

I've clearly never noticed it be any different whilst reading books either. 🤔

Edit: I even went to check our bookselves and yeah, some of our older books do have single ' '. So I guess the answer to this is that it doesn't bother me as I don't even register it, so long as it's consistent. But I'll write with " " because it's what I was taught. 🤷

Thanks all for the responses so far, glad I got some British feedback too. I seem to have found kindred who were also taught the wrong way  :D

From what I can gather, US is a majority though UK has been seen and is noted as a difference by said authors.
I will swap to US-style to pass by any complaints I would have in that case, far simpler to be honest. Now to await the complaints about my UK spelling of words.

Most of my books have the "-" m-dash, followed by the words, without quotation marks. Every line of dialogue starts with its own line. I thought that's pretty normal for printed, published books, too. (They're not in english)

But yes, online I've seen 99% double quotation marks. They're just easier to see, and I think they look more clear. 'No I didn't' vs. "No I didn't" 

As someone not from the US or the UK, I grew up with double quotation marks. Not quite like the US style, in my case, but still double. Those are more prevalent in nearly all of Europe except the UK. I imagine it's more intuitive for people like me who have been taught from a young age to use double quotation marks. I'd have to constantly remind myself to use only a single mark if I tried the UK system.

So I guess that's a significant part of your answer. Pretty much only the UK uses single quotation marks for dialogue. Since keyboards/text editors generally only facilitate either the UK style or US, others default to US because it's most similar.

My advice though is to write however you want. People will understand it, usually. It just takes some getting used to.