Re: writer looking for friends!

Hi! I'm Mina and I like writing (lol) 
I'm more used to novellas, poetry, and short stories but I really wanted to challenge myself to write longer fiction in a genre I don't usually write in. If anyone has any tips (or just wants to share their suffering) with me, I would highly appreciate it! 
Also, is there something like a joined writing sprint group on here? I think it could be fun to have a place/thread where people come together to write at the same time. 

AngelMina Wrote: Hi! I'm Mina and I like writing (lol) 
I'm more used to novellas, poetry, and short stories but I really wanted to challenge myself to write longer fiction in a genre I don't usually write in. If anyone has any tips (or just wants to share their suffering) with me, I would highly appreciate it! 
Also, is there something like a joined writing sprint group on here? I think it could be fun to have a place/thread where people come together to write at the same time.

Hello, and welcome to the community!

I'm also a newbie, at least in this site (Been writing for a few years, but in Spanish), so we can suffer together help each other :D. Or if you want any advice, I can try and help you! Folks in this place are very kind and supportive, and I've learned a lot of things. And for the second thing, you can try and search for a Discord server, idk.

See you around!

Welcome.

Today's introductory package includes:
  1. https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107061  Xian's guide to stuffing pictures and words into your signature space. Temporarily out of stock
  2. Check here for help with a free cover by Jackofheart! https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/108672 for any fictions that have been complaining that they don't like their current cover, or you feel like you'd like a second cover opinion.  Temporarily out of stock
  3. One ovoid, thick-skinned, and extra firm   https%3A%2F%2Fwww.royalroadcdn.com%2Fpublic%2Fsmil...rtOsww.png ℝ𝕖𝕡-𝕠𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕠™.
Happy Writing!

Welcome Mina! Many of us love writing and reading here. I hope you'll enjoy your time here. Our forums have some amazing advice and resources for authors so I highly recommend looking around if you need tips. Mostly in the guides section. Also feel free to post questions and many people will jump in to help you. Goodluck peoeating

Hey Mina, I'm an Ancient-of-Days writer (sounds so much better than 'In dog years I'm seriously dead'), who has done a lot of long pieces of fiction. It's great you're challenging yourself, so here are a few tips you are welcome to use, if they help (none of these are hard and fast rules, so use only what's helpful and dump the rest).

You've been running 5k's - however, you have now entered a marathon, so pace yourself. I've seen a lot of writers burn out before the work is finished, especially if it's a multi-book, or long running series.

Know where you are going. When I plot out a series, I have the journey mapped out in major plot points the story has to make. But in between the major plot points, I let the story develop as it goes along. For example, In The White Horde, I know how the three main characters, who are together at the moment, will be forced apart, but not exactly how it would happen. By letting the story develop as it goes along, it's gotten a lot more depth than if I had forced the characters to act in a certain way. However, some writers do better with their characters having as much free will as galley slaves; it just depends on your style.

Watch for plot holes. I like the Scrivener platform to rewrite my longhand initial drafts for many reasons, one being it's easy to go back and check to make sure I haven't screwed something up. If you have, worry not; the folks here are pretty forgiving if you need to go back and fix something.

Readers generally prefer Past Tense. I did The White Horde as a challenge to myself as well, in part by writing it in Present Tense, then decided to begin a revised version using Past Tense, as several people commented that they never read anything in Present. It's a lot of work going back and revising line by line, but I've been experimenting as I go along, so it's been fun.

Last, keep pushing yourself as a writer, and write what you enjoy. Happy Wednesday!

The White Horde | Royal Road Inspired by the intrigue, drama, and destruction whispered to us by ancient history, this story is set in a world where magic is slowly dying, and decadent empires struggle against each other as well as against the barbarian hordes pushing ever westward. The story is told from the viewpoints of three people whose actions will change the fate of nations and empires alike

The White Horde (Revised) | Royal Road The rewritten version of the same ongoing story, recast into Past Tense and lightly edited.

Welcome! My tip is to write stories that you yourself enjoy. That'll give motivation to keep going even when you hit the occasional road block. Also, don't beat yourself up if you miss a day, sometimes you just need a break and worrying about it will make it more like a chore and sap the enjoyment.

I hope you have fun on RR and your fictions find an audience.

Welcome! It's always a good thing to push your horizons. Let's you solidify your writing. But when it's serious, you should stick to what you love. That's my advice, though I can't follow it myself(often don't have the time)...

As for the Writing Group thing. Though there isn't any such thread that I've noticed, I'm trying to set something like that up on my discord, though it ain't going as well as I hoped. But if you want, you can check it out. It's in the second line of my sig. The first is the link to my story...