Re: 2.5 star rating

Sometimes, you've done something wrong.

Sometimes, the person in question simply doesn't get it.

2.5 is exactly the midpoint between 0 and 5, so it sounds to me like someone thought your story was exactly average. (technically, 3* is the actual midpoint because the lowest is 0.5, but a lot of people still just divide 5 in half and use 2.5)

Unexplained ratings happen. You can't worry about them.  I once aggressively forced someone to review, and got a list of complaints that didn't even make sense, completely missing the point of everything I was trying to do. People are just different. If they don't like the story, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you or the quality. Sometimes it does. Sometimes your writing is flat or your grammar is bad - I don't know, I haven't read it.

But just look at the review section of some of the biggest, best, most popular writers, switch to negative, and you'll see that no matter how great or perfect some people find a story, others will find it overhyped garbage.

It's not you, it's just an occupational hazard of creating art.

My first rating on a project I'm legitimately proud of was a 0.5 with no explanation. It was a real hit to my ego at first, but ultimately, the person didn't care enough to explain their opinion, so (frankly) I don't think we're obligated to care about that opinion, either. Listen to your readers or friends or fellow-writers, and if they all point out the same "issues" or "problems", it's probably something to look into and improve on. The randoms who leave a rating without a word to you, though...? They haven't thought, or don't care, enough about your story to write a few short sentences explaining what went wrong for them.
Of course, I'm only a couple-months-old RRer and haven't much experience here, but that's my two-cents. ^^ When you find your audience, they'll engage. Until then, don't let mute ratings get under your skin.
Good luck with the writing!

Asviloka Wrote: Sometimes, you've done something wrong.

Sometimes, the person in question simply doesn't get it.

2.5 is exactly the midpoint between 0 and 5, so it sounds to me like someone thought your story was exactly average. (technically, 3* is the actual midpoint because the lowest is 0.5, but a lot of people still just divide 5 in half and use 2.5)

Unexplained ratings happen. You can't worry about them.  I once aggressively forced someone to review, and got a list of complaints that didn't even make sense, completely missing the point of everything I was trying to do. People are just different. If they don't like the story, that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with you or the quality. Sometimes it does. Sometimes your wiritng is flat or your grammar is bad - I don't know, I haven't read it.

But just look at the review section of some of the biggest, best, most popular writers, switch to negative, and you'll see that no matter how great or perfect some people find a story, others will find it overhyped garbage.

It's not you, it's just an occupational hazard of creating art.

Glad to know it's a usual thing (Not glad, but you understand what I mean xD). I can take a negative review, I really don't mind, but to receive a 2.5 star rating with no explanation... It doesn't make sense to me. I'll take your advice. I won't give it more importance.

Thanks for the reply!

Xovinx Wrote: My first rating on a project I'm legitimately proud of was a 0.5 with no explanation. It was a real hit to my ego at first, but ultimately, the person didn't care enough to explain their opinion, so (frankly) I don't think we're obligated to care about that opinion, either. Listen to your readers or friends or fellow-writers, and if they all point out the same "issues" or "problems", it's probably something to look into and improve on. The randoms who leave a rating without a word to you, though...? They haven't thought, or don't care, enough about your story to write a few short sentences explaining what went wrong for them.
Of course, I'm only a couple-months-old RRer and haven't much experience here, but that's my two-cents. ^^ When you find your audience, they'll engage. Until then, don't let mute ratings get under your skin.
Good luck with the writing!

Hello, my good friend!

I see... Wait, 0.5? I'm sorry to hear that xD. I'll take your advice, maybe it's the best thing I can do. But it's just something that pisses me off so much... Well no, just a little bit. But still.

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: If you seriously want some helpful reviews to your chapters (not ratings but comments with constructive criticism), join DarthKirby's review group. We only do chapter reviews in comments (of course unless you want to swap reviews with someone which is your own personal matter). PM  @DarthKirby or drop a comment in this thread:
https://www.royalroad.com/forums/thread/107707?page=1

Hope that helps.  
peolove

I'll check it out. Thanks!