Re: Reincarnation/Isekai/Dark Fantasy

My advice is to have a story in mind to tell, then get at writing it.  You can solve for specific problems as they occur and ask for input on them most certainly, but I wouldn't ask someone what I should write, me.  As for sub genre, let those chips fall where they go.  When done, someone is sure to note how it was a good or not so spectacular example of one category or another.

I don't say this lightly. A cake baker, after having baked up several hundred cakes, will have his own sorts of cakes with their own unique things about them and people may start asking he bake one like he did for so and so, 'cause they want one of His chocolate cakes, or his fruit type cakes , but first he needs to catch his wave.

sunandshadow Wrote: Give the world a problem or challenge that the protagonist is uniquely suited to solve.  The protagonist doesn't need to know this problem exists at first, but it gives you a goal to aim the plot toward.

Thank you, I already have several problems that the MC doesn't know about that he has to solve, but they only appear according to his actions.
FAHyatt Wrote: My advice is to have a story in mind to tell, then get at writing it.  You can solve for specific problems as they occur and ask for input on them most certainly, but I wouldn't ask someone what I should write, me.  As for sub genre, let those chips fall where they go.  When done, someone is sure to note how it was a good or not so spectacular example of one category or another.

I don't say this lightly. A cake baker, after having baked up several hundred cakes, will have his own sorts of cakes with their own unique things about them and people may start asking he bake one like he did for so and so, 'cause they want one of His chocolate cakes, or his fruit type cakes , but first he needs to catch his wave.

Thank you for your input. I already have a story, so the actually problem now is to get it on a page, fixing it, and fix it some more, repeat, repeat, then post it.

Also does anyone know how to present a dark atmosphere? Or how to add emotion to the characters actions (I guess I can just use both in one question - Does anyone have any tips on imagery?

Handle the reincarnation in an interesting way.

I haven't read HEAPS of these stories, but from what I have, this aspect is usually done poorly.

There are so many ways you can play around with this, and each will influence your story heavily thereafter. For example, in your world, the way every individual dies affects their next life in some way. Maybe you want to go the karma route, where the good or bad deeds one does leads them to better or worse next lives. Or perhaps the way one dies grants them different powers, or leads them to certain gods.

Have fun with it.

Fuchsia Wrote: Handle the reincarnation in an interesting way.

I haven't read HEAPS of these stories, but from what I have, this aspect is usually done poorly.

There are so many ways you can play around with this, and each will influence your story heavily thereafter. For example, in your world, the way every individual dies affects their next life in some way. Maybe you want to go the karma route, where the good or bad deeds one does leads them to better or worse next lives. Or perhaps the way one dies grants them different powers, or leads them to certain gods.

Thank you

I have lots of tips as my series is exactly this genre. 

First off, dark fantasy. 

So the biggest thing that should be focused on in a dark story is always the villains. The villains define the entire story. What forces are present that corrupt the world? What lessons do the main characters have to learn, and what do they have to accept? 

The difference between a dark story and a regular story is that the main characters are often faced with cruel reality. In a lighter story, the main character would overcome the obstacles, and perhaps even convince the bad guys to come to the light. The main character would be that light in the world, going around and saving everyone through their power and/or justice, but in a dark fantasy.... reality is not so simple. 

The main characters are going to suffer. They're going to witness scenes which want to make them throw up. Heck, they might even be broken to the point where they're the ones creating those scenes. Characters are going to die, their deaths will be brutal, and they will traumatize those around them. 

Note however that evil is always in the scope of self interest. People do horrible things for a reason, whether it is for profit, out of necessity, or because they too have been broken to that point. In a dark fantasy however, the main characters aren't there to save the world. They're there to survive, and to hopefully do what they can with what they have- and no more. 

As an addendum to what Dubs has already stated - The "dark" portion of dark fantasy doesn't have to be only from the suffering from those around the protagonist, but from the protagonist themselves as well.

If you wanted to truly paint a grim picture an example could be:

The protagonist reincarnates into a world within which reincarnators are common-place, and not only have the natives adapted to such existences, they've learned how to "deal" with them as well. Particularly the villainous entities with enough power and influence to do so, may have long since turned reincarnators into something akin to slaves. Reincarnators with their unique powers and abilities have become a commodity to make the lives of natives more convenient.

Alternatively perhaps its not the villains to do so, but the rulers of kingdoms are simply fed up at being at the mercy of overwhelmingly powerful "outsiders" and have since developed measures to counter and control such chaotic variables to maintain peace and order within their kingdoms. In this example, perhaps the world isn't suffering at the hands of some evil entity, its peaceful and full of sunshine and laughter... at the expense of reincarnators being controlled and used for their gifts.

There can be any number of reasons for why the world has turned on reincarnators or see them as pests or threats, maybe in the past "heroes" became out of control after having saved the world, and started abusing their power and authority until people finally got fed up. Maybe a tragedy happened in which the heroes turned on the kingdom and swapped from being saviors to destroyers. Maybe a reincarnator slept with a king's wife by using his manipulative powers to take advantage (yes despicable, was he really ever a hero? Or merely an opportunist?)

Well in any case, theres a lot you can do with the "dark" portion of Dark Fantasy. :)