Re: Am I That Bad? (Help for a new RR writer)

Ararara Wrote:
Madin Wrote:
DarkD Wrote: Looking at your view count, I don't think it's a problem of bad writing.  Your synopsis is extremely generic and RR is largely a place for people to escape generic tropes that television is obsessed with.  

Just look at the best rated list.  First place is about a time loop, Second place is about a magical chicken. Third place is about an intelligent government created bio-weapon becoming a super minion.

Your synopsis is slightly awkward.  But I don't think that's the problem.  People are reading it and thinking "this is a list of generic tropes".  

"Heaven N Hell", "The Holy Sword", "Person tormented by their past", "Uncover lost truths about the ancient past".

Just reading the title kills my interest dead.

Well, thanks for your kindness...

I know, I know. Mother of Learning, Beware of Chicken, etc... they are all successful 'cause they are original and creative and whatever. What are you suggesting then? To change everything I've done so far just to desperately avoid cliches? I don't agree, sorry. I think some unoriginal concepts can give birth even to interesting and innovative stories.

Anyways, I'm going to change the synopsis, but not the title. Thanks for the advice. And sorry for not creating magic chickens.

Nobody said you should change the story. Just word the synopsis differently! It's your #1 tool to hook readers and make them thing "Woah, that sounds sick! I want to read this NOW!" 

Cheers :)

I know, I know... I'll do :/

Thanks.

Yea just change the synopsis and maybe the title.  The reason I say that is because I am looking at your view count.  130 views after 8 chapters means people aren't even opening the first chapter.  So that means no one is even looking at the fiction in the first place.  They are getting caught up in the entry information.  And that's a good thing for you because that means you DON'T have to do a full rewrite.  That means you just have to learn how to word about 2 paragraphs of information rather than hundreds.  

DarkD Wrote: Yea just change the synopsis and maybe the title.  The reason I say that is because I am looking at your view count.  130 views after 8 chapters means people aren't even opening the first chapter.  So that means no one is even looking at the fiction in the first place.  They are getting caught up in the entry information.  And that's a good thing for you because that means you DON'T have to do a full rewrite.  That means you just have to learn how to word about 2 paragraphs of information rather than hundreds.

Got it. Thanks.