Re: How to Name a Contemporary Fiction

Hi y'all.
My story is a contemporary fiction (no particular genre) and it focuses on two boys growing up, who later become a couple.

I named my story as 'Survival: Counter Chase' but that is just a key part of my story. I don't think the title is right nor it conveys anything satisfactorily meaningful about the whole story. So I need suggestions and tips on how to name a book that pretty much focuses on realistic life.

Thanks!

We have too little to work with in order to provide any suggestions.  That said, tips we can do. 

Personally, I am inclined to short, crisp titles based upon a theme, metaphor or image which is central to the book.
  • For instance, when I wrote my first fiction, one theme I had in mind is that hard work, practice and training can lead one to be better than so-called geniuses.  There's a bit of time travel involved, and so the protagonist is mentally much older than he is physically.  To emphasize the latter, I picked up "years," and to emphasize the former, I picked up "prose" (the idea being that prose is the simple man's speech, as opposed to poetry or the flowery speech of nobility).  Some articles and prepositions later, and voila! A Prose of Years.
  • For my second fiction on this site, as I was nearing the end of the first draft, I had in mind a mental image of a line of candles.  The one in the middle was lit; before, the candles were burnt out and short of varying sizes; after, the candles were whole and unlit. This was in some respects a metaphor for the protagonist, the premise and the plot of the story.  From that image, I fooled around a bit until I came up with Candlelit Lives
As a final tip, be sure to (at least) search Royal Road for similarly named pieces and Google.  Unique names are best. 

luda305 Wrote: Personally, I am inclined to short, crisp titles based upon a theme, metaphor or image which is central to the book.

Yeah, I also think shorter title are better. I like the way you came up with APOY title. Thanks for telling about it!

And hopefully I will have a clearer idea on the title towards the end of my story.

JenifryConan Wrote: Since you said it focuses on two boys growing up, you could research how coming of age stories are titled and take inspiration from there.

Ah, my story actually is a coming of age, but all this while I only searched up contemporary titles. LOL

Thanks for this!

FAHyatt Wrote: Yeah, heh, Don't know there is some guideline, or that its always possible to make the title a story summary.

Hm, perhaps your right.

I do see many books having a title that doesn't reveal much of the story.
Thanks!