Re: The Write-a-thon

Glad to see so much enthusiasm about the Writathon. In my case, it has served as a dampener. Everybody seems to be writing like a maniac. My views, which were already not great due to it being a romance, have trickled to almost nothing.
Reviewers are not willing to spare time, swaps seem pointless as I feel I am not getting the real picture.
After the writathon, again the winners would get a boost, so my story is bound to be in the dumps. I am getting a real feeling of disappointment. 
I wonder what RR is trying to achieve by this. Writers here already update fairly regularly. How it helps creativity and quality by churning out stuff like this is just beyond me.

theUnvisibleFox Wrote:
Pauliuk Wrote: The most I've written in many years. The mental drain is very real.

I'm with you there, the mental drain is very very real. Yet, Extremely rewarding as well, I just made it to the leaderboard!
it's easily the most I have written in my entire life!

I hope it will be rewarding - I hardly do anything but write since it started Very Happy
But at least I'm on the leaderboard as well, so chances are good!

OntoSomethingGood Wrote: Glad to see so much enthusiasm about the Writathon. In my case, it has served as a dampener. Everybody seems to be writing like a maniac. My views, which were already not great due to it being a romance, have trickled to almost nothing.
Reviewers are not willing to spare time, swaps seem pointless as I feel I am not getting the real picture.
After the writathon, again the winners would get a boost, so my story is bound to be in the dumps. I am getting a real feeling of disappointment. 
I wonder what RR is trying to achieve by this. Writers here already update fairly regularly. How it helps creativity and quality by churning out stuff like this is just beyond me.

DO NOT DESPAIR, SISTER!

THE WRITING CHALLENGE TAKES THE RAW IRON INSIDE OF YOU AND LIGHTS THE FORGE OF CREATION WITH THE FIRES OF IMAGINATION TO ALLOW YOU TO HAMMER THAT IRON IN THE STEEL OF DEFIANCE!

VIEW COUNT IS NOTHING! ALL THAT MATTERS IS INK TO THE PAGE, WORDS FOR THE CREATION ENGINE, THE WILL AND DRIVE TO LOOK WRITER'S BLOCK IN THE EYE AND YELL: "I SAY UNTO THEE NAY! I SHALL NOT BE SILENT! MY INKWELL FLOWETH OVER WITH CREATION!"

DO NOT DESPAIR! LIFT UP THY QUILL! FILL THINE INKWELL WITH THE BLOOD, SWEAT, AND DETERMINATION THAT WRITERS POSSESS!

RALLY, SISTER, RALLY UNTO ME! RAISE THY ROMANCE BANNER HIGH AND WAVE IT IN THE FACE OF THE TEMPEST AND CALL OUT THINE WORK'S NAME SO THAT ALL MAY HEAR IT!

PillowReader Wrote: I got so scared by the idea of the writeathon that I choose to just ignore it and write as usual, I never knew that the leaderboards is for anyone above 25k in words for the halfway mark! I managed 18 in the time but I'm sure I could've inched my way in for the free promotion if I tried :(

Now you know and you can smash it next time! :)

OntoSomethingGood Wrote: How it helps creativity and quality by churning out stuff like this is just beyond me.

It doesn't. It likely to impair the quality. And I am one of those, who cannot write a single trash line even if you pay me for that. So what I did was wrote an extra chapter 13K long, AU interlude, and used a big warning to my readers about the bad quality of my writing in that particular chapter. I don't want the reader to suffer because I want to make the deadline. I at least owe my followers that. If they spend time reading my chapters, the least I could do is write quality stories. Call me a snob but I do not want my readers/followers (who have invested so much of their time in reading the previous 40 or so chapters) to read through poor quality chapters just so they can keep following the story. Really unfair.
DrakanMelt

So, my point is, if you feel it is affecting your quality, please do not do it, or do an extra chapter related but outside of your storyline. Regarding exposure, no clue. But I am hoping to get some more readership too. 
peolove

OntoSomethingGood Wrote: I wonder what RR is trying to achieve by this.

It's just for fun. It's a goal. It's exciting.

You aren't expected to write it all in the span of a month and five days, you just have to post it in that time. So people who've known this was coming had time to prepare (not that they did, procrastination being a thing). Heck, I'm already preparing for October. If I'm not mistaken, the NaNoWriMo has kids write 50k words during the month of November? So this really isn't all that different from that.
That being said, I do feel like there are at least a few writers who post their first stories during this time. So the site does gain a few more authors. More authors = more people to potentially pay for premium = more money eventually.
From this, I gain a thing. I get to point at the little achievement thing under my name and say "Look! I did a THING! Huzzah!"
Honestly, if you're worried about views, maybe post your story somewhere else? Somewhere a bit more aimed at romance novels? Quotev is a pretty good place...

Mad Wrote:

You aren't expected to write it all in the span of a month and five days, you just have to post it in that time. So people who've known this was coming had time to prepare (not that they did, procrastination being a thing). Heck, I'm already preparing for October. If I'm not mistaken, the NaNoWriMo has kids write 50k words during the month of November? So this really isn't all that different from that.
That being said, I do feel like there are at least a few writers who post their first stories during this time. So the site does gain a few more authors. More authors = more people to potentially pay for premium = more money eventually.
From this, I gain a thing. I get to point at the little achievement thing under my name and say "Look! I did a THING! Huzzah!"
Honestly, if you're worried about views, maybe post your story somewhere else? Somewhere a bit more aimed at romance novels? Quotev is a pretty good place...

Events like NaNoWriMo and the Writathon are also good for motivation. In my case, when I was writing just for myself without a goal or structure, I wrote less than 4000 words on a story in a month. Then I noticed the writathon and decided to go for it. Since I noticed it late, I was suddenly writing 2500-3000 words PER DAY to be able to meet the 25k mid-goal (which I did!). I'm hoping that if I can keep this up for the whole writathon, it'll become a habit that I can keep going even past the end of it, especially if I get readers in that time interested in more of my story. 

Learning to write without moments of inspiration, with goals and word quotas, is a skill and for writers like me, structured events like this encourage me to grind those skill levels.

FantasyBliss30 Wrote: So, my point is, if you feel it is affecting your quality, please do not do it, or do an extra chapter related but outside of your storyline. Regarding exposure, no clue. But I am hoping to get some more readership too.

I have already decided not to do it, anyway romance tastes better slow-cooked. I can't rush it for the life of me 😀😀

You'll get extra readers though when you win the challenge, some previous participants have experienced drastic increase in readership. So all the best. I've had a look at your book, it is fantastic. It's in my reading backlog, probably will give it a chance over the writathon month :)

Mad Wrote:

Hmm...I have no experience of NaNoWriMo or anything else really, I'm totally green :)  And I get there are probably commercial reasons in play here.

However, the concept of rushing through just feels wrong to me. It's like a mass factory production. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably have a feeling of achievement if I do participate and get a badge. But the work I'll produce will definitely substandard. 
About my reads - I'm not expecting my book to be popular on RR. Just that the views it was already earning, went down drastically this month. It'll probably bounce back after the writathon, who knows. 
I want to steer clear on purely romance sites as tbh they feel weird to me, all pink and fluffy is not my idea of romance iykwim :)
I'll probably try some different genres in the future, an adventurous romance or a romantic adventure, I've kept my options open :)

Ralts Wrote:
OntoSomethingGood Wrote: Glad to see so much enthusiasm about the Writathon. In my case, it has served as a dampener. Everybody seems to be writing like a maniac. My views, which were already not great due to it being a romance, have trickled to almost nothing.

DO NOT DESPAIR, SISTER!

THE WRITING CHALLENGE TAKES THE RAW IRON INSIDE OF YOU AND LIGHTS THE FORGE OF CREATION WITH THE FIRES OF IMAGINATION TO ALLOW YOU TO HAMMER THAT IRON IN THE STEEL OF DEFIANCE!

VIEW COUNT IS NOTHING! ALL THAT MATTERS IS INK TO THE PAGE, WORDS FOR THE CREATION ENGINE, THE WILL AND DRIVE TO LOOK WRITER'S BLOCK IN THE EYE AND YELL: "I SAY UNTO THEE NAY! I SHALL NOT BE SILENT! MY INKWELL FLOWETH OVER WITH CREATION!"

DO NOT DESPAIR! LIFT UP THY QUILL! FILL THINE INKWELL WITH THE BLOOD, SWEAT, AND DETERMINATION THAT WRITERS POSSESS!

RALLY, SISTER, RALLY UNTO ME! RAISE THY ROMANCE BANNER HIGH AND WAVE IT IN THE FACE OF THE TEMPEST AND CALL OUT THINE WORK'S NAME SO THAT ALL MAY HEAR IT!

Ha! Thank you for this rallying cry, it certainly lifted up my spirits 😊
So I'll raise my romance banner high and charge on into the enemy ranks, tearing up whoever stands in my way on the battlefield. 
Beware, O Writathon warriors! Here I cometh 😀😀

Kiebahow Wrote: As a writer I got super hyped as this is my first write-a-thon, but then hit writers block... and then got a ton of work to do... and then shot that made me feel meh for almost half a week... April is just not my month. At least it's twice a year!

Oh no! Hopefully next time you’ll be able to smash it, especially now you’re more prepared!  peolove

Mad Wrote: You aren't expected to write it all in the span of a month and five days, you just have to post it in that time.

Bah! I say, write it all in the span of a month and five days, or else what's the point? That's what I'm doing.

It's an exercise in stamina. And in make-it-up-as-you-go-along-itive-ness.

Mad Wrote: You aren't expected to write it all in the span of a month and five days, you just have to post it in that time. So people who've known this was coming had time to prepare (not that they did, procrastination being a thing).

Then why bother? Why bother taking part in a writing contest?

If you're preparing for months, what's challenging you to up your typing speed, streamline your thought process, encourage you to manage your time and focus your efforts?

If I saved up for a whole year just to post on NaNoWriMo I'd post a million or so words. There would be no challenge, no effort put forth.

The challenge is to write that much in a single month.

You don't get better by doing things the same way all the time, you get better by challenging yourself, by pushing yourself to your limits and beyond.

Writing is like anything else, you get better by doing, by challenging.

I just don't understand why you'd hold off and post stuff you'd already written and want it to count toward your word count.